• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Was this a good deal?

Alexander Arms Overwatch
    Last edited by bj139; 06-08-2017, 04:06 PM.
  • Sputnik
    Warrior
    • May 2013

I'd say an awesome deal! Great upper and about 150 bucks just in ammo

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

That's what I figured. I didn't buy much brass yet for reloading and I have been using a 10 round PMAG for my first Grendel loaded with only 3 rounds to avoid mag bulge. My first Grendel is 16" and I did not see much point in getting another unless the barrel length increase was significant.

I am not sure if I will get it apart if I want to reconfigure since AA apparently Loctites everything together in a solid mass.

Comment

• Sputnik
        Warrior
        • May 2013

I think you can load those Pmags with more than 3 rounds. A friend of mine has the same upper and it is a tack driver, so shoot it first and you may find that any major reconfigurations may not be needed or wanted. Happy shooting!

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Thanks, Sputnik,

I just received the Overwatch upper and it seems good. It is not as heavy as I thought it might be. I don't think I can shoot it till next week.

I have been studying the PMag configuration. 5.56 rounds are supported vertically by the round below on each side. Grendel rounds are not so they exert a side force. With each additional round the side force increases and causes mag bulge. I can fit more than 3 but then I can't insert the mag into the receiver. I could cut springs and grind followers but the Grendel is so accurate why would I need more than one shot?

I was thinking of grabbing the upper and lower and ammo and scope and heading to the range now but I have to mount the scope. Maybe I will try to get out tomorrow morning.

The AA mag I received supports the Grendel rounds vertically, thus avoiding the dreaded "midriff bulge".

Comment

• 37L1
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Good deal? Great deal!

Comment

• MrDraco
              Warrior
              • Jul 2011

That's a great deal. I paid around $1k for mine when I ordered it from Alexander Arms.

Comment

• Sputnik
                Warrior
                • May 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                Thanks, Sputnik,

I just received the Overwatch upper and it seems good. It is not as heavy as I thought it might be. I don't think I can shoot it till next week.

I have been studying the PMag configuration. 5.56 rounds are supported vertically by the round below on each side. Grendel rounds are not so they exert a side force. With each additional round the side force increases and causes mag bulge. I can fit more than 3 but then I can't insert the mag into the receiver. I could cut springs and grind followers but the Grendel is so accurate why would I need more than one shot?

I was thinking of grabbing the upper and lower and ammo and scope and heading to the range now but I have to mount the scope. Maybe I will try to get out tomorrow morning.

The AA mag I received supports the Grendel rounds vertically, thus avoiding the dreaded "midriff bulge".
                Yeah Pmags are awesome for 5.56, haven't tried them with the Gendel. I got my mags from AA and later AA offered some Elander mags on special. I really like them a lot.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Enjoy, you got a very good deal.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2015

yea that was a smoking deal!!!

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

I have to work today at 5PM but thought I would stop at the range to try the Overwatch. After 6 sighting in shots at 50 yds where I forgot mils were not minutes of angle, I loaded 5 in the magazine and shot them then went home. This was with steel cased Wolf ammo. Looks like 1 MOA.
                      I believe the biggest difference is the 2.5lb trigger I got yesterday. The milspec trigger is TERRIBLE.

The old jeans are my guncase. If the neighbors ask what I am doing. "Just taking out the laundry".
                      They are also my shooting rest on two 2x4s.

GrendelIMG_20170609_142440 (Medium).jpgGrendelIMG_20170609_142614 (Medium).jpg
                      Last edited by bj139; 06-10-2017, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

I don't think the unusual tears on the target were there before I shot. Could this be the Wolf steel jacketed bullet fragmenting?

Upon closer inspection they seem to originate from the back of the target. The plywood backer boards were splintered so this may be splinter penetration from the backer.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Considering the apparent precision of the Alexander Arms upper maybe Loctiting everything together is a good thing.

I need to buy some good triggers for my other lowers and maybe buy or build a lead sled.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Is a 1 MOA group with Wolf steel ammo any good?

When I was shooting I could see my heartbeat in the movement of the crosshairs on the 16X SWFA scope.
                            Last edited by bj139; 06-10-2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

Wow smoking deal!

Comment

Working...
                              X