• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greg_R
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

Grendel build

This is my first Grendel build. I resisted for a long time but finally gave in to the temptation.

I stripped my 20" 223 Wylde because I want the Grendel and the 223 to look exactly alike. This is what I have so far. Looking for an accurate budget build. The 223 Wylde barrel is accurate, 3/4 MOA. I am hoping for as good or better from the Grendel.

Anderson lower
    Guntec USA reciever extension
    Spare A1 stock I had laying around
    Guntec USA buffer and spring
    Anderson LPK
    AR Stoner enhanced trigger

223 Wylde is an AR Stoner 20" DMR profile stainless fluted 1:8 barrel
    6.5 Grendel is an AR Stoner 20" stainless fluted 1:8 with 5R rifling
    BCG's are AR Stoner 223/5.56 and 6.5 Grendel II
    Charging handles are MAS Defense extended
    Free Float forearms will be Guntec USA 15" KeyMod
    Gas blocks and gas tubes are AR Stoner.

Waiting for my 6.5 BCG and Gass blocks and tubes to arrive in the mail. Will likely pick up the fore arms at the LGS tomorrow.
    Attached Files
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Sounds like a great plan to me. Let us know how your AR Stoner 6.5 Grendel shoots.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Are you going to Loctite the barrel to the receiver?

Comment

• Greg_R
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2017

No loctite. Actually I just use choke tube grease. Have been for years. Bought some aeroshell and while I'm sure it's good, I will stick with the choke tube grease. I just did not see any difference except for price.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

I just used some grease with teflon particles in it on my only build. I did read where graphite grease was not good on aluminum receivers.

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Let us know how it shoots for ya!

Comment

• Thedave8
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2017

Doing similar...Stoner 18 inch stainless fluted and stoner bcg....why are people lock tight ing barrels now? Never had one come loose out of all the AR'S I've built....just lube

Comment

• Drillboss
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Thedave8 View Post
                Doing similar...Stoner 18 inch stainless fluted and stoner bcg....why are people lock tight ing barrels now? Never had one come loose out of all the AR'S I've built....just lube
                The loctite isn't put on the barrel nut. It's applied to the outside of the barrel extension to bed it into the upper receiver.

Comment

• Greg_R
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2017

I still don't see the need for locktite????

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

It fills the space between the receiver and barrel extension for the purpose of minimizing any play at that connection. Bedding, along with lapping the receiver face, are considered to be helpful in truing the barrel alignment with the receiver.

There was a thread or post here a while back where a member saw a significant improvement in his groups after lapping and bedding.

Comment

• 6.8 klr
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2014

Squaring up the face of the receiver so it aligns true to the barrel extension along with lapping and bedding worked wonders for accuracy in my 18" BHW barrel.

Just Sayin'......

Comment

• Thedave8
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2017

Interesting info....would think heat would just charbroil lock tight...wonder how hard it is to re barrel if lock tight was used...

Comment

• rabiddawg
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Thedave8 View Post
                          Interesting info....would think heat would just charbroil lock tight...wonder how hard it is to re barrel if lock tight was used...
                          Depends which loctite you use.

I used a heat gun on the last one I had to disassemble and had no problem.
                          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                            Depends which loctite you use.

I used a heat gun on the last one I had to disassemble and had no problem.
                            Red or Blue Loctite?

I just bought an Alexander Arms Overwatch and shot the best group ever for me using Wolf steel ammo.
                            The Overwatch is reported to have the barrel and nut bedded to the receiver and the handguard bedded to the nut as well.
                            I think I want to bed my other Grendel with Loctite. Is blue good enough?

Comment

• Lastrites
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2017

I believe in bedding but for some to say that it worked wonders makes me wonder if they did any actual before and after testing. Not all barrel extension fit the receiver the same as some can be sloppy where others it is challenge to seat. A sloppy fit may need more than lock-tite and may require shims to properly tighten the fit.

I also believe in truing the face of a receiver if need be but have little faith in the lapping tools that many use with a drill or can be turned by hand, your building a precision type rifle and want the front lapped I would suggest taking it to a machine shop and not roll the dice in the garage. The reality of it is you may be making it worse than what it was or may take too much off, issue is you have no idea how far it's off or how far to go and have to put faith in how much anodizing that has been remove as your only feedback.

Comment

Working...
                              X