X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcjarmon
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

Look to Black Hole weaponry for a good barrel on your first build. Use a type 1 bolt, which is also for a 7.62x39. Forget the loc-tite until your sure you have a shooter. Surplus Arms and Ammo carries BHW barrels, and there price right.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Bj139, I used the "high strength" red made by permatex. It was what I had on hand at the shop.

When I disassembled my 12" Faxon barreled upper, it took a few minutes with the heat gun on low to get it to release. Not really a problem.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Greg_R
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2017

Arrrgh! My Grendel build is on hold. Went to the LGS last week and he had a Ruger Stainless Bearcat and a Ruger SR1911. Both gave me a good price on both so.....well you know what happened. Got to get the Tigers out of layaway before I can pick up on the Grendel build again.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Greg_R View Post
          Arrrgh! My Grendel build is on hold. Went to the LGS last week and he had a Ruger Stainless Bearcat and a Ruger SR1911. Both gave me a good price on both so.....well you know what happened. Got to get the Tigers out of layaway before I can pick up on the Grendel build again.
          You need to get your priorities straight!
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

There was an excellent article in G&A earlier this year by Patrick Sweeney ( executive editor or something like that ) about accurizing AR's. It started with a rack grade AR shooting a little worse than 1 minute groups. He broke it down and took it thruough all the steps that most us follow including trueing up the barrel face in the upper and then loctiting the barrel. When he finished, the result was a rifle with consistent near-1/2 minute groups.
            If your upper is a forging, the barrel face is almost guaranteed to not be square with the axis of the barrel. This is fixed by trueing it up with the proper tools. It is an easy process and takes only a few minutes and is well worth it.
            Because of "modern" manufacturing techniques, there is some tolerance in the drilling of the barrel hole in upper and most are "a little" oversized for the barrel. Thus, there is the opportunity for movement during the firing impulse which will cause inconsistencies in POI. By applying some Loctite around the barrel extension during assembly, this fills the gap between the barrel extension and the upper such that you have a very solid connection between the barrel and the upper - no movement caused by the impulse of the shot.

Comment

• Greg_R
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2017

Finally ordered the 2 handguards I needed to complete my builds. These look exactly like the Ridgeline handguards that I get from MAS Defense, except they are 19 1/4" in length, a length not offered by MAS Defense. The barrel nut and locking system look exact. I'm thinking that the 2 handguard I have now that are mounted on my AR pistol and lightweight 223 Wylde build are not made in Arizona but China? We'll see. Supposed to be here by 7/10, guess shipping over the holiday has things slowed down.

I'm still skeptical about the need to bed with loctite. All of my other AR rifle builds except one are capable of less than 1 MOA. All any of them have gotten is choke tube grease. I am going to bed these builds with purple threadlocker though, just to see. It will be interesting because the 223 Wylde barrel is a known shooter. It would shoot the 52 grain Speer into 3/4 MOA and the 65 grain Sierra shot just as well. I will be ecstatic if it gets any better! I'm using purple just for the ease of taking it back apart if needs be.

Comment

• Greg_R
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2017

Finally got my free float handguards in! Here is a mock up, just to see how i like it. And I do! I really like these handguards.

Here is a pict with my 16 inch 223 Wylde just for a size comparison.
                Well, it won't let me upload a picture, you will just have to take my word for it.

Comment

• Greg_R
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2017

IMG_20170711_182609.jpg

Uppers built. 6.5 Grendel and a 223 Wylde. The builds are identical except for the barrels and bolts.

Anderson reciever, AR Stoner Bolt and bolt carrier. AR Stoner DMR contour stainless fluted 20" barrel, ACME Machine gas blocks and gas tubes. Field Sport handguards and an A2 style flash suppressor. The 6.5 Grendel just hasca thread protector at this time.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Looking good. Bedding works, not just the barrel, but gas blocks too.

What optics and mounts are you looking at for the Grendel?
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Greg_R
                      Unwashed
                      • Jun 2017

AR Stoner mounts ant the Bushnell Engage 4x16.
                      IMG_20170716_175011.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X