• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDguy
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

CFE BLK & light projectiles in the 6.5 Grendel

Any one given this a try yet? If not I may be giving this a go. Just checking to see if anyone may have information to share to factor into my initial experiment?
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

I think you will find CFE BLK to be on the fast burning side for the Grendel. But I could be wrong.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Seeing as how CFE223 will work for light Grendel loads, I dare say CFEBLK has no place in the Grendel cartridge. It's a fast powder, faster in the burn chart than any grendel powders I'm aware of.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

300 BLK normally uses magnum pistol powders such as H110/296, Lil' Gun, 2400, etc. One of the reasons 300 BLK works so well with short barrels is because the powder fully burns in the first 7-8" or so. I load 110 Varmageddons for 300 BLK and the loaded rounds look almost like a pointy necked down 357 mag round.

In today's powder marketing world, I wouldn't be surprised if CFE BLK wasn't much more that than a reformulated / updated / cleaner version of Hodgdon's magnum pistol powders. I think you'd have better (and safer) luck getting CFE BLK to work in a 357 or 44 mag than you would with Grendel.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

based on some research i did as to the copper fouling erasing with the new powders, cfe line up and ar comp.....

some people who "seemed to know what they were talking about" indicated its not necessarily a new idea and that such powders have been used in artillery for quite some time, they indicated the additive which prevents the copper from accumulating in the bore was tin so my take away is most of these are basicaly just tribase versions of existing powder formulations

when i look at a new powder and try to determine if it has any business with grendel my baseline is looking at a few things: burnrate,loading in similar cartridges (the grendle is a close relative of the ppc family) with the current supply of powder there isnt much need to wander out off the norm when looking for powders. xbr, cfe223, arcomp all work pretty well and seem to be plentiful for the time being
          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

CFEBLK is faster than Norma 200 or Rel 7, and is listed on at least one new burn rate chart.

The only bullets it might be suitable to use with would be GS Customs HV solids with the driving bands. Keep in mind that the term "driving bands" gets thrown aroun a lot, when what is being described are actually pressure releif bands like on TSXs, GMXs, etc. GS Customs uses bands that are larger diameter than the shank, so there is limited contact with the rifling.

As a result, you use much faster powders with the GS Customs bullets to punt them out, whereas conventional bullets resist being driven into the lands much more with their full shanks.

Other than that, CFEBLK is a recipe for disaster in 6.5 Grendel with common and most monolithic projectiles.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Worstletter
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2021

I understand that this post is now 3 years old. But in a short barrel grendel cfeblk works so well I've been buying up everywhere I can. The 123-120 gr seeds can get up to 2300 fps and more if you want. While 90-95gr on a cold day I have chronographed over 2550 fps. I will admit that for me the cfe line has a terrible ES but the groups at 1-300 yards are well within accurate. I started @ 20.0 gr and worked up from there with all weights. Good luck finding it now

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Worstletter View Post
                I understand that this post is now 3 years old. But in a short barrel grendel cfeblk works so well I've been buying up everywhere I can. The 123-120 gr seeds can get up to 2300 fps and more if you want. While 90-95gr on a cold day I have chronographed over 2550 fps. I will admit that for me the cfe line has a terrible ES but the groups at 1-300 yards are well within accurate. I started @ 20.0 gr and worked up from there with all weights. Good luck finding it now
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Worstletter
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2021

Yes CFEBLK in grendel

Yes I use CFEBLK in my 12" barrel upper. With 120gr eld. I started at 20grains and worked up. I believe I am stop at 25.0 grains but there's still more capacity. 160s subs or 140s required a lot less and actually cycle. Honestly in this era of reloading it was worth a shot because CFEBLK was always in stock. Definitely CCI 450s and I have yet to see pressure signs. SDs and ES in the teens and under 100. And just to clarify I use cfe223 in my 69gr smk loads for my savage ba in 223 remington.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Worstletter View Post
                    I can reach those same speeds from my 12.5 inch guns with ar-comp and have great sd/es numbers as well as sub moa groups.

I have seen people talking online about useing cfeblack in other cartridge designs and it seems to work from what lil I have read. But i have too say I'm not real sure it's a good powder for the grendel case.

Comment

• Worstletter
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2021

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                      I can reach those same speeds from my 12.5 inch guns with ar-comp and have great sd/es numbers as well as sub moa groups.

I have seen people talking online about useing cfeblack in other cartridge designs and it seems to work from what lil I have read. But i have too say I'm not real sure it's a good powder for the grendel case.
                      All I'm saying is it works. There's data on there website for 762*39 and 6.8spc with it. Just keep in mind the 55k psi threshold of an AR bolt.

Comment

Working...
                      X