• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greg_R
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

School me

I have a barrel simply marked 6.5 Grendel 1:8 5R. Seller states in needs the .136 bolt. I ordered a bolt carrier group from him that just had the description of 6.5 Grendel. The bolt is marked Grendel II.

I intend to buy a set of RCBS small base taper crimp dies. 264 LBC T/C.

I am reading all I can but getting conflicting information. Am I headed in the right direction?
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Looks like proper direction IMO. You can use your caliper to measure/confirm the bolt face depth but IIRC G-II usually means the 0.136 depth. Not sure that those dies are needed, I just got the Hornady regular dies for 6.5 Grendel and they work for both my "LBC" and Saami chambers... never used any small-base dies but they seem to be used to re-size more troublesome cases or something. Others with more experience could weigh in on this...
    The real way to confirm bolt-barrel proper match-up is to use go/no-go gages on the combo of them - that way you can validate the fit-up...
    Last edited by grayfox; 06-11-2017, 12:50 PM.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I have a set of Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies plus a set of RCBS 264 LBC SB FL TC dies I bought on sale at Brownell's. Both dies will reload 6.5 Grendel brass/ammunition. I started reloading with RCBS equipment and dies back in the late 70's so I decided to buy the 264 LBC dies.

The only issue I've encountered with my RBCS 264 LBC die is I didn't notice my decapping pin rod come loose. I bent the decapping pin while attempting to size a case. Figuring it wouldn't work I tried to straighten the pin and it broke. I found a package of small RCBS decapping pins at a local gun shop. These small decapping pins were still to large. I called RCBS and they confirmed the 264 LBC dies ship with a non standard size small decapping pin. RCBS shipped out a new decapping pin rod and pins for free. The small diameter non standard size decapping pin is needed because of Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass small diameter flash hole. Fortunately Hornady dies ship with a spare decapping pin if you every ruin a pin.

I'd say your 6.5 Grendel is chambered to use a 6.5 Grendel bolt with .136 bolt face depth which is designated as Type II by some manufactures. The only other bolts chambered with 6.5 Grendel/264 LBC barrels is .125 bolt face depth 7.62X39 bolts. If you tried to use a .125 bolt in a barrel chambered with a .136 bolt a round probably wouldn't go into battery or be super tight.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        I have a set of Hornady 6.5 Grendel dies plus a set of RCBS 264 LBC SB FL TC dies I bought on sale at Brownell's. Both dies will reload 6.5 Grendel brass/ammunition. I started reloading with RCBS equipment and dies back in the late 70's so I decided to buy the 264 LBC dies.

The only issue I've encountered with my RBCS 264 LBC die is I didn't notice my decapping pin rod come loose. I bent the decapping pin while attempting to size a case. Figuring it wouldn't work I tried to straighten the pin and it broke. I found a package of small RCBS decapping pins at a local gun shop. These small decapping pins were still to large. I called RCBS and they confirmed the 264 LBC dies ship with a non standard size small decapping pin. RCBS shipped out a new decapping pin rod and pins for free. The small diameter non standard size decapping pin is needed because of Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass small diameter flash hole. Fortunately Hornady dies ship with a spare decapping pin if you every ruin a pin.

I'd say your 6.5 Grendel is chambered to use a 6.5 Grendel bolt with .136 bolt face depth which is designated as Type II by some manufactures. The only other bolts chambered with 6.5 Grendel/264 LBC barrels is .125 bolt face depth 7.62X39 bolts. If you tried to use a .125 bolt in a barrel chambered with a .136 bolt a round probably wouldn't go into battery or be super tight.
        A drill and some fine sandpaper would make those large pins into small pins if anyone else needs them.

Comment

• diddlyv
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

Shot a lot of 7.62 high power from my M1A and a bunch of .223 and 5.56 and some 6.5 Grendel frome ARs. I have never had the need to use a small base die. No problems feeding and extracting using regular Hornady new dimension dies. Small base dies can over work the brass.
          Queen of Battle
          Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

Working...
          X