• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClichedUsername
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

Help developing a testing plan

Good morning,
    I am a complete AR novice, and I like toys.
    My first AR is nearly complete, and I purchased two items off of AR15.com's equipment exchange.
    1st toy is a gently used (30 rounds) Tubbs flat wire spring. It was almost as cheap as a stock buffer spring, so why not?
    2ed toy is a well used (100's of rounds, but supposedly not even close to its expected life) hydraulic buffer for less than a spikes buffer.
    To complicate things further, I plan of using an adjustable gas block.
    I know that introducing variables will likely cause the system to fail. For me, troubleshooting will give me more excuses to go shooting!

The flat wire spring will likely need to be shortened. It is rifle length, and I have a carbine buffer tube. The tubbs website advises one to do remove a few coils in this situation. And the person I purchased this from said the hassle of removing coils prompted him to sell it, and his rifle would not run with it in without trimming some excess.

What would be the best way to approach this issue. Do I trim a few coils off, and then begin testing? How do I isolate which variable is causing a failure? I believe that the standard procedure for dialing in an adjustable gas block is to turn the gas off and slowly increase the gas until it just cycles.
    Will my other toys interfere with this method?

I know this is inadvisable, but I am having fun with this project. Any help would be appreciated. And any insults will be accepted as they are likely accurate
    I hope that by fine tuning this rifle, I will become intimately familiar with it's operation. It will likely allow me to learn a great deal by the end of this project.
  • A.D.D. AR
    Warrior
    • Oct 2014

Congrats on your AR! First thing we would need to know is what length barrel and what length gas system (rifle length, mid, or carbine?) also is the bolt carrier an AR15 (notched-lightened) or full mass "M16" carrier.
    then you will get the gurus here to tell you what will be the best combo. the fact that you have an adjustable gas block is definitely a plus.
    -mike

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

I have a couple of Tubbs FWS, never had to trim any coils off and the guns run well, carbine and mid length gas systems. Hydraulic buffer's i seem to recall most thinking that it was essentially not needed, but there is always the why crowd.

Comment

• ClichedUsername
        Bloodstained
        • May 2016

A.D.D. AR:

I am planning on buying the barrel and bolt from the group buys here. I would like the 20" barrel option (Rifle length gas system). My BCG is the standard one that comes with the Bear Creek Arsenal Side charging upper. I believe it is a full mass "M16" style.

Lastrites:
        That is encouraging that I may not need to trim any coils. The hydraulic buffer was an impulse purchase. Even if it is the best buffer in the world, with my lack of experience I will not be able to tell. My gun will embody the term "Frankengun."

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
          Warrior
          • Oct 2014

clinched- well. I know this much: if you are planning on a 20'' then you want the rifle length gas system and rifle length buffer tube. Also you should just use the standard (5.2oz?)rifle buffer weight.
          I have a couple of 20'' grendels (full mass M16 carriers)and actually have the JP rifles captured spring setup just because I hate the AR15 "sproing" vibration noise from the standard spring- and boy is that setup smooth!
          I believe the hydraulic buffers on the market (enidine etc.) were designed around 5.56/.223 so the extra bit of recoil from the grendel may wear them out faster.
          And you could always get a geissele braided wire buffer spring- hey it's just money, right? haha.
          This may sound boring , but with the standard rifle buffer and spring and your described gas block procedure, you should be cycling fine within 10 rounds.
          well, good luck - you are on the right path for sure.
          -mike

Comment

Working...
          X