• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Harris Bipod Replacement Swivel Mounts

I don't know about you guys with Harris Bipods, but I have found that mine are generally satisfactory. Having said that, there has always been one thing that nags me about them - the swivel stud mount. It just seems inherently inadequate for the task of holding a pair of 6 - 18" levers to the bottom of my rifles.

Further, in order to accommodate the stud mount, I've had to either add swivel stud adaptors to my black guns, adding unwanted height or, in the case of a free-float tube, drill and tap a hole for the stud. (Studs on free float tubes, by the way, seldom align back at 6 0'clock after a tube has been unscrewed and reinstalled).

I also can't count the number of times I've needed to check and retighten the mounting thumbscrew while in the field or on the bench. Distracting, to say the least.

Recently, I've come across a few different offerings which specifically replace the Harris Bipod swivel plate. Two of the companies I like are Badger Ordinance and Arasaka Defense.

Both make replacements which do away with the stud mount in favor of a 1913 picatinny mount.

Left is the Badger Ordinance, right is the Arasaka Defense (which I have ordered).
    lphm_pic.pngBipod_Adapter_redo_large.JPG
    Removing the original plate is as easy as unscrewing a nut, removing a retention pin and sliding the old plate off. Put the replacement on and replace the pin and nut. Done. Below is an image of the Arasaka unit after installation.

Bipod_Assembly3.JPG
    While both companies make a 1913 adaptor, Badger Ordinance goes further by also offering an M-Lock and a RACS (Remington Accessory Chassis System) adaptor.
    mlok_copy.pngracs_copy_copy.png
    These provide about 4" of contact surface with the hand guard, potentially making them a stronger mount, as well.

All three of Badger Ordinance's mounts retail at $69, while the Arasaka Defense mount lists for $50 with free shipping.

While this admittedly does not turn my Harris into an Atlas bipod, it does allow me to eliminate the only offensive aspect of my existing Harris, and with only a nominal investment.

For over 30 years, Badger Ordnance has been an innovator in precision mounting systems and military grade weapon enhancements, and we’re just getting started..
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 02-27-2018, 12:36 AM. Reason: derp: added links
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
  • AZBackcountry
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

I agree on the Harris knurled knob on my 27" bi-pods. I'm checking it for tight a hundred times a day while hunting. For my Aero Precision Enhanced hand-guards I use Primary Weapons Systems KeyMod Bipod Adapter 5KMHBEA1 at Primary Arms. BUT, there is still the knurled knob coming loose. You really have my interest in the Badger Ordinance adapter. I'm thinking a new Harris 27" Bipod S-25C with the Badger Ordinance adapter for my ARs. I can move the PWS adapter down for the sling and the Badger Ordinance system Harris on the end. I'm already running the double stud on my bolt stocks to keep the bi-pod from digging into my shoulder. The double cross screws might be needed with my longer, more leverage bi-pods. THANK YOU!!!
    Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2016

I just ordered a Badger Ordnance bi-pod adapter at Midway plus a Harris S-25C for 21% off and a couple Midwest Industries KeyMod adapters and $10 off the order promo. I guess I'll be keeping Allen wrenches in my trucks. Thank You!!!

Comment

• Arkhangel5
        Warrior
        • Apr 2016

I think this is just what I was looking for.

From my past experience, Harris' don't work well with flat bottomed stocks. They make an adapter that solves this problem, but it adds unwanted weight.

This will allow me to attach the bipod directly to pic rail w/o an extra adapter.

SY
        Last edited by Arkhangel5; 07-01-2017, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2016

I bought the Badger Ordnance Harris Bi-Pods Picatinny Mount. The leg tubes on my Harris series S 25C swivel by-pod rubbed on the block when I tilted the bi-pod legs back and forth as they were meant to do. A minute with a Dremel and a little aluminium bluing took care of the problem. I think they were made for the fixed base bi-pods or the tubes on my Harris bi-pod were cut a little long. Okay, they work great now. No more clamp thumb knob screw needing to be re-tightened while hunting or catching on clothing. I bought Midwest Industries KeyMod Picatinny 2" rail attachment for my hand guards. I moved my Primary Weapons swivel sling stud adapter down so my shoulder isn't bumping the bi-pod any more.
          Leg Rubs Badger BiPod Bock.jpg6.5 Grendel July 2017 cropped.jpg

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Sweet. I bought two more of the Arasaka's (now at $40, shipping included). These are really doing the job. In my case, no modifications were necessary on either the Harris bipods or on the Caldwell Clone I decided to convert. Judging from the pictures of the Badger Ordnance units, they appear to be a tad bit longer than the Arasaka offering, which may be the reason for lack of clearance in your case.

I, too, moved the swivel stud on my brush gun inward to clear the rails and mounts. The sling is just as comfortable in its new location. This unit has the longer legs (13-25"), and so the 1913 mount makes it a bit more stable and less prone to shift around when the legs are extended.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
            X