X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

Building up AR's is kind of like walking up stairs. First left foot then right foot, first an upper then a lower then another upper then another lower then..... However, long ago I determined that all of my uppers are furnitured basically the same so that when a whole gaggle of 'em are all sitting in the same rack or on the same table ( mine and other's ) that mine are easily discernable. Some years ago, we had a "toy day" where I worked - everyone brought a bunch of 'em and we lined 'em up on tables around the room. Couldn't tell 'em apart - now mine all have a unique ( but consistent ) look and feel to 'em. The lowers are all built identically, with mil-spec triggers that have had a lot of work done to 'em - polished and lightened, near zero creep, near zero over-travel, 5 lb springs. Like my pistols, I don't have to stop and think how each one acts - they all act the same.

Comment

• mholmes
      Unwashed
      • May 2017

I can't have spare parts laying around. Sooner or later I must turn them into a rifle.

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

with the low price of lowers nowadays i have debated buying a few, just in case
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Cockednlocked
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2016

I can't pull but one trigger at a time, so one lower is fine for me. Of course, I only have two uppers, so maybe I'll add a few more of them before getting more lowers. I like not having another trigger pull to adjust to, the one I have works great for both uppers. I don't want to give the Feds the satisfaction of knowing how many uppers I have, anyway. I'd have more lowers if they didn't bug me with all the paperwork.

Comment

• bldsmith
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2017

I am staying at 1 for 1. I built a couple of uppers but hated seeing them all alone in the safe. I did give my son 3 uppers and 2 lowers. One pistol and 2 carbine. 556, 6.5 16", 300blk 10.5" pistol.
            A. C. Richards OTAC USN RET

ABS Journeyman Smith

http://acrichardscustomknives.com/

Comment

• ah1whiskey
              Warrior
              • Sep 2015

lowers are cheap right now. time to stock up.

Comment

• mdram
                Warrior
                • Sep 2016

Originally posted by ah1whiskey View Post
                lowers are cheap right now. time to stock up.
                hopefully they will stay cheap or get cheaper

at least until election time

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                  hopefully they will stay cheap or get cheaper

at least until election time
                  don't count on it.

Comment

• Lastrites
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

The more recognized brands have dipped in pricing while the Andersons are nearing all time low's. So time to think about shopping for your favorite brand during this current phase.

Comment

• Cajun1
                      Unwashed
                      • May 2017

I just got into the Grendel and purchased a complete upper to put on my existing 223/5.56 lower. However, after discovering that I love the Grendel so much, I'm about to buy another lower to build up specifically for my Grendel.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2015

what happens when prices tank? production slows or comes to a stop. there is no way they are going to keep selling finished lowers for $44 to as low as $24 for a finished part.

not all that long ago a 0% raw forging was $30 .

if they can't make any money at the lower game --supply is going to dry up. just that simple.

and were quite over due for another obama-era panic. all it would take is another idiotic shooting spree and the left/antifa may have a few false-flags up their sleeves.

at best its a short term glut. don't expect it to hold.

Comment

• mdram
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by ah1whiskey View Post
                          what happens when prices tank? production slows or comes to a stop. there is no way they are going to keep selling finished lowers for $44 to as low as $24 for a finished part.

not all that long ago a 0% raw forging was $30 .

if they can't make any money at the lower game --supply is going to dry up. just that simple.

and were quite over due for another obama-era panic. all it would take is another idiotic shooting spree and the left/antifa may have a few false-flags up their sleeves.

at best its a short term glut. don't expect it to hold.

and that shootin spree just happened this morning

but i dont want to get into politics

Comment

• din
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2015

Comment

• Greg_R
                              Unwashed
                              • Jun 2017

The modularity of the AR system let's me enjoy a variety of calibers with minimal cost. Much like my previous firearm passion, the TCP Contender. I had 2 Contender frames, one dedicated to pistols, and the other to carbines.

With the AR15 lowers, most of mine have at least 2 uppers dedicated to them, some have three. I currently have 1 dedicated pistol lower with 2 uppers , I rifle lower with 3 uppers, and 3 carbine lowers with 5 uppers. Only one of the carbine lowers has a dedicated single upper.

Comment

Working...
                              X