• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Retro
    Warrior
    • Jul 2016

Shooters World powder

I received an add from Midsouth Shooters advertising Shooters World powder made by Lovex. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? They are waving the hazmat fee if you order their powder. It appears that an 8lb keg is in the neighborhood of $150 vs $180 or more for CFE 223 or H335. There is no load data for the Grendel in their charts so the loads would have to be worked up but it might be worth it.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Retro:

Looked at the products. Their 'Match Rifle' powder claims similar burn rates to 2520, RL-15, and CFE-223.

I would try it.

LR1955

Comment

• Retro
      Warrior
      • Jul 2016

I went ahead and ordered an 8lb keg. I'll post the results once I do some testing with the stuff. Now if I could find some relatively inexpensive bullets I'd be a happy camper. I ordered 800 rounds of factory seconds last time that Midway had them in stock. I picked up 400 each of the 123gr and 100gr and wish that I had bought more now.
      Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      Retro:

Looked at the products. Their 'Match Rifle' powder claims similar burn rates to 2520, RL-15, and CFE-223.

I would try it.

LR1955

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Retro, I've bought a lot of overruns and blemished bullets from Shooters Pro Shop. This is basically an outlet store and you can get very good prices on Nosler bullets ammo and brass along with SAA ammo.

I live within driving distance of Sierra's factory and go to their outlet store. To far for you to go to Sadalia Missouri but your close to Nosler which helps on shipping. Shooters Pro Shop is running Fathers Day Specials and give military discounts IIRC.

Discover incredible value with Nosler Factory Seconds and Over-Run ammunition. Save on premium rounds with minor cosmetic imperfections or variations, while still enjoying reliable performance. Shop now for discounted Nosler Factory Seconds and Over-Runs and elevate your shooting experience.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Retro did you see the online loading data for Shooters World Lovex Powder? If not here is a link, I read some of the powder was made in the Czech Republic at the same facility which used to load Accurate powders.

Shooters World provides reloaders with valuable reloading data and a link to the Lovex® Reloading Guide.

I cut and pasted this info off the Lovex site as these Powders will probably be most suited to the 6.5 Grendel. This powder is used a lot in the UK.

D073.4

High density, double base, ball propellant similar to Accurate 2230, which is one of four most popular rifle powders. Designed for .223 Remington (5.56 NATO).
          D073.5
          Medium burning, high density, double base, ball propellant similar to Accurate 2460 is useful in wide variety of cartridges. It is slightly slower than D073.4 and shows a small pressure advantage over D073.4 in bores 7 mm and over. Excellent in .308 Winchester, also suitable for M1 and M14 (M1A) service rifles.
          D073.6
          Medium-slow burning, high density, double base, ball propellant similar to Accurate 2520 gives excellent results in medium capacity cartridges (.308 class) and in certain applications in large bore cartridges. It is the best choice for target shooters using 168 grain bullets in the .308 Winchester. D073.6 has a pressure curve appropriate for use with M1 and M14 (M1A) service rifles.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-16-2017, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• Retro
            Warrior
            • Jul 2016

Thanks VASCAR2. I've been to the Shooter Pro Shop several times and I don't seem to get the timing right. Usually they only have the 140gr bullets by the time I go to their site. I ordered the match rifle powder and I see that they already shipped it. I'm going to give it a try and post the results.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Retro View Post
              I'm going to give it a try and post the results.
              Excellent! Look forward to this.
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Retro
                Warrior
                • Jul 2016

I haven't been to the range yet but for reloads that are using a measure that uses CC's instead of grains I've come up with a very accurate weight (VMD) for the powder. The Midsouth Shooters/Lovex powder load date says that this powder is similar to Accurate 2520 or CFE 223. The weight of this powder is neither. I can't quote the Accurate or CFE VMD's but an accurate VMD for the Shooters World Match Rifle powder is 0.0659. So, for instance, if you are loading 29Gr of this powder and using a LEE Auto Disk powder measure using their disks you would simply multiply 29 x 0.0659 = 1.9111 CC's. With the LEE charts you would use the corresponding number and find the correct disks for 1.91 and you should end up with 29Gr's of powder. I'm currently working up loads based on data from the Accurate 2520 with a reduced starting load. I'll get back once I try this out.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Just to be clear, Retro, are you using LVX D073.6?
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Retro
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2016

That is the Lovex identifier. The powder is marketed by Shooters World under the name Shooter's World Match Rifle powder. It is the Lovex D073-6 powder. I loaded some .223 to the Lovex data sheet and the stuff shoots great. I also loaded some Grendel in 100gr and 123gr Midway factory blems (probably Hornady Amax). I don't have a chrono so I can't tell you what the velocity was. I loaded to the Accurate 2520 data and even the hottest load didn't show any over pressure signs. When I crunch the numbers I will post the recipes that I used. The VMD that I listed above gives accurate measurements in my Lee Auto Disk powder measure. The powder seems to shoot pretty clean and the rounds were giving me about 1.5 MOA with a 20" Odin barrel. I'm sure that the 1.5 was the shooter's fault no the barrel or the ammo.
                    Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                    Just to be clear, Retro, are you using LVX D073.6?

Comment

• 1075 tech
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2015

Any update on this? Midsouth is running the no hazmat with 4 lb minimum again.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2017

Update?

Comment

• Wafavre2
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2017

Thanks for the info! This is what make this forum great!

Will

Comment

• mdewitt71
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

I have .223 65, 69, and 77 grain loads already waiting for a range test this weekend......
                            Once I get my Gredel up and going, I will try it out as well the SW Match Rifle powder.
                            ― George Orwell

Comment

• mdewitt71
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2016

I have tried 65gr 73gr and 77gr out of .223 and really have not had that great of luck with Match Rifle.... it seems alot dirtier that OEM box ammo too.
                              My 20" Wylde rifle punches .45 to .7 inch holes with IMI 77gr OTM but, I can not seem to break .9" inch with any bullet with the Match Rifle powder and most are over 1.5".
                              I have yet to try Match Rifle with Grendel loads.....
                              ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X