X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 85_Ranger4x4
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

My train of thought was you can find MOA bolt guns for $3-400 everywhere. Savage Axis, Ruger American etc. From the factory my 30-06 American has an adjustable trigger, cold hammer forged barrel, full floated bedded stock and I paid $357 for it out the door (in 2012)

So price it out. Adjustable trigger is $100 (soft, IIRC my brother paid $150 for a Timney to make a rifle out of his older Axis he won a Whitetail Unlimited banquet) a cheap stock for my 91/30 was $70 so figure $100 for a decent floated one. We have $157 left, well below what many consider "rack grade" for just a barrel. Then figure you have the bolt, receiver and a mag. How much is left for that cold hammer forged barrel?

Even a pricier gun broken down into parts isn't going to really leave a whole lot for a barrel.

I don't know to what degree but I do think a lot of guys fall into the "it is expensive so it has to be good, cheaper stuff isn't worth my time" train of thought. I am not that well off so I have never tried "the good stuff" so maybe they are right. No doubt for serious competition they probably are.

Haven't figured out how to post pics yet...

Comment

• 41bear
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

I'll give this analogy, since I'm retired from the food business, Golden Corral and other Cafeteria style food business' are way less expensive than all sit down eateries yet the beef, chicken, and seafood sold is the very same quality. Some of the best meals I've eaten were at Mom and Pop eateries. So don't sell low prices as low quality cause it ain't so, in most cases.

That $500.00 cut rifling barrel can be screwed up too, it's all in the hands of the operator.
      "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Retro
        Warrior
        • Jul 2016

What the heck, for $80 delivered I went ahead and bought one. I wish that you guys would stop posting stuff like this it always ends up costing me money. Heck, for $80 bucks if I don't like it maybe it will get shortened and become a pistol. Dang, I just went back to the Primary Arms website and now the barrels are out of stock. I'm thinking that I got the last $71 barrel that was in stock.
        Last edited by Retro; 06-17-2017, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• lesbaer45
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2015

They are just down the road a bit from where I live. I thought about taking an afternoon off and seeing if they allow walk ins to pick up a barrel or complete upper.

I haven't seen either barrel or upper in person yet, they seem to get fair reviews responses.

Once upon a time they used to be known as Moore Machine Co., in fact I still think BCA (because there is a place called Bear Creek nearby) is just a 'trade name' for MMC.

MMC had some issues in the past but that was during one of the great "panics" and they may have been pushing too hard to get product out the door.

Comment

• jcjarmon
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2016

Ive got 26 inch Krieger barrels, and 24 inch Bear Creek barrels that I would hate to have to choose between. Both shoot better that I do, and I shoot for a living.

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jcjarmon View Post
              Ive got 26 inch Krieger barrels, and 24 inch Bear Creek barrels that I would hate to have to choose between. Both shoot better that I do, and I shoot for a living.
              Actually inspiring to read this. I've been debating throwing to gather an el-cheepo Grendel to feed Wolf ammo.. if the barrels are respectable enough for that I'll pick one up with a side charging upper for sure!

Comment

• Steamburn
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

I seem to never learn the lesson:
                I bought a $75 barrel which wasn't satisfactory, so had to buy a better barrel for $185. Total cost: $260.
                I should have bought a garanteed good barrel of around $260 from the start.

Comment

• slickshot223
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2017

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                  .136" bolt face. Supposed to have a SAAMI chamber too.
                  I just received mine from Classic last Saturday, FWLIW it looks really really nice. 18" straight fluted, nitrided 4150. Only blemish is a scratch where it looks like it got caught by a boxcutter when someone opened the case (the protective netting was cut too) I have been meaning to post pics but I have been too busy.

From my research at least Classic, AR Stoner and Sander's Armory are all made by BCA.

BCA and Classic had the best prices so I asked them both basic specs (material, bolt face etc...) BCA never responded but Classic got right back to me. I didn't like that... if you can't answer a simple question how are you going to deal with a problem?

Stoner MLGS has .094 gas port, some say that is too big!! Classic Arms barrels all have .070 gas ports! Am currently working on a Stoner MLGS .094 GP and it is over gassed!!

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by slickshot223 View Post
                    Stoner MLGS has .094 gas port, some say that is too big!! Classic Arms barrels all have .070 gas ports! Am currently working on a Stoner MLGS .094 GP and it is over gassed!!
                    Mine looked pretty good sized but I have an adjustable gas block... so too much is better than not enough. I haven't measured it.

Comment

• kevperro
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                      Actually inspiring to read this. I've been debating throwing to gather an el-cheepo Grendel to feed Wolf ammo.. if the barrels are respectable enough for that I'll pick one up with a side charging upper for sure!
                      Here is my 16" Stainless Classic M4 with Wolf. Mil-spec lower and trigger with a 1x6 scope. I shot five other groups similiar to this with no fliers but I was chasing my shot grouping around the paper. I think I had two things going on. One, the target wasn't level (duh). Second, my site picture was moving around because my face was a different place on the stock each time. I need a more consistent place to afix my cheek weld.

So... with my cheap $80 barrel and cheap steel cased Wolf I'm getting good enough grouping that I can work on my technique. That is my goal.... not that it is 0.5 MOA accurate but that I can work on my shooting skills. For the people getting 6-7 MOA with the Wolf I don't know what to say. It could be the barrel or the batch of ammo. I only have my own experience to work from.

Comment

• kevperro
                        Bloodstained
                        • Apr 2017

Here are some groups with Hornady ELD-M Black. First time I shot it was today and the first three rounds were right on top of each other. I jinxed myself looking and the fourth was a flyer. Forgive my photo posting skills. It is on it's side and I cannot get it rotated.

After that I adjusted my scope over 2.5 MOA I shot a couple more on top of each other and strung another down below.. I think the flyers were me, not the ammo.

This was after shooting 140 rounds of Wolf and I my groups suffered from here. My zero is pretty much the same Hornady 123g ELD-M & Wolf 100g steel. That kind of surprised me. Next week I'll take it out to 500 yrd and see how that goes.

Comment

• sscandyman
                          Bloodstained
                          • Apr 2017

Finally got to shoot my BCA build today (16" fluted mil contour barrel ) I am very new to rifle shooting but I'm getting 3" groups with Wolf steel . Looks like its plenty good enough to bring home a deer and if I manage to develop some skills maybe bring home some tighter groups

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

So back on memorial day weekend sales I bought two of their 20" heavy barrels from classic and looked them over fairly close. Took one out several weeks later when I got my ALG V0's to see how the setup would look on a upper. The receiver to barrel fit could be a little tighter. My extensions were .996" I've heard others fit more snugly. So maybe mines the oddball?
                            I DID see that one of the two barrels had a bit of the corner of a land stripped off near the chamber throat. So I emailed classic (exceptional customer service) and they got ahold of BCA and I returned the barrel. Its been maybe 3-4 weeks since I shipped it out. It was shipoed back to me we'd./Thursday of last week. UPS tracking says I should receive it July 5th. I'll keep you all updated with results as I get them.

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

I'm still getting mixed reports of the chamber... can anyone absolutely confirm without doubt that it's the compound SAAMI spec? Read something earlier that someone took a cast and it was not...

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                                Warrior
                                • Nov 2016

IDK yet... But I'll be casting all my chambers before I build, I always do. Maybe I can cast them sooner than​ later. But my July is looking VERY busy then slowing down in August. (Hopefully)

Comment

Working...
                                X