• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • codokrat
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

basic questions on my first build

I am mostly done with my first build and had a few questions:

So far it is assembled and oiled except for the trigger and safety and it's having a really hard time feeding the wolf ammo out of the E-lander mags and seating properly into the chamber (I need to pull the charging handle completely and release, sometimes twice) Is my carbine buffer tube/spring inadequate and should I upgrade to a rifle buffer tube?

My build as it stands is as follows:
    Broken Armory 80% lower
    Spikes tactical St-T2 receiver extension kit
    Hogue Overmolded grip and stock
    spikes tactical lower parts kit
    2- 25rd E-lander mags

Mega Arms MML 16" upper/rail
    Radian Raptor charging handle
    Odin Works 20" heavy barrel with matching Nitride BCG
    Odin Works Atlas 6.5 muzzle device
    Mbus Pro LR popup sights

I have a Fostech Echo trigger on order, but I'm also considering ordering a giessele 2 stage trigger for precision.
    0T9A0931 (3).jpg0T9A0933 (3).jpg
  • ah1whiskey
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

try loading a few less rounds in the mag.

maybe put a drop of oil on a couple things.

check for fit of the upper to the lower as well.

standard spring and buffer should work IF nothing is bumping.

Comment

• CJ7nvrstk
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2017

Nice.

New here too so can't offer any help, just wanting to see what I can learn.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I'd load the E-Lander mags to capacity and let them set loaded till you get rifle completely assembled. My E-Lander mags came new with very stiff springs and leaving them loaded helps the spring take set. There have been a couple of reports of improperly positioned feed lips on E-Lander mags. Once you test fire your rifle and if you encounter feed issues try using the E-Lander with five rounds or less. If the rifle still fails to feed try loading three 6.5 Grendel rounds in a 5.56/223 mag. If the rifle still fails to feed you may have an issue with the rifle more than the mags. If the 6.5 Grendel rounds feed perfectly with 5.56/223 mags you may have gotten a couple of bad E-Lander mags and I'd contact AA.

I'd make sure you got a carbine buffer spring and not a rifle buffer spring. I have a Spike's T-2 buffer and it has been gtg. The carbine buffer tube with carbine spring and buffer are very common with all 6.5 Grendel barrels 20" or less. The 20" 6.5 Grendel barrels are usually gassed properly and function with a carbine buffer tube, carbine buffer and carbine spring but the T-2 should be fine. I really doubt you need to switch to a rifle length buffer tube, rifle buffer spring with rifle buffer.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-15-2017, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• kevperro
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          I'd load the E-Lander mags to capacity and let them set loaded till you get rifle completely assembled. My E-Lander mags came new with very stiff springs and leaving them loaded helps the spring take set. There have been a couple of reports of improperly positioned feed lips on E-Lander mags. Once you test fire your rifle and if you encounter feed issues try using the E-Lander with five rounds or less. If the rifle still fails to feed try loading three 6.5 Grendel rounds in a 5.56/223 mag. If the rifle still fails to feed you may have an issue with the rifle more than the mags. If the 6.5 Grendel rounds feed perfectly with 5.56/223 mags you may have gotten a couple of bad E-Lander mags and I'd contact AA.

I'd make sure you got a carbine buffer spring and not a rifle buffer spring. I have a Spike's T-2 buffer and it has been gtg. The carbine buffer tube with carbine spring and buffer are very common with all 6.5 Grendel barrels 20" or less. The 20" 6.5 Grendel barrels are usually gassed properly and function with a carbine buffer tube, carbine buffer and carbine spring but the T-2 should be fine. I really doubt you need to switch to a rifle length buffer tube, rifle buffer spring with rifle buffer.

Agreed.... mine are pretty stiff. I had feed issues on one E-Lander but it is functioning fine now. I don't know if it was the spring or the lower but all is well after feeding a couple hundred rounds.

Comment

• Marine0341
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2017

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I'm wanting to build my first AR and wanting it to be the 6.5 Grendel. I'm looking to get a 20"-24" Sprial Fluted Bull Barrel, w/ matching BCG. With my complete build I'm looking to spend about $800 on total build. Any suggestions?

Comment

• -Justin-
              Bloodstained
              • May 2017

New 24 round E-Landers are pretty tight with sharp feedlips, could possibly need a slight touchup to deburr. Check the feedramps to make sure they're smooth. I also like to use a teflon spray lube to coat the inside of my magazines as well as the buffer tube and upper/lower receiver.
              Last edited by -Justin-; 06-20-2017, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Marine0341 View Post
                Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I'm wanting to build my first AR and wanting it to be the 6.5 Grendel. I'm looking to get a 20"-24" Sprial Fluted Bull Barrel, w/ matching BCG. With my complete build I'm looking to spend about $800 on total build. Any suggestions?
                I'm not sure where you can get a barrel with spiral fluting in 20"-24" especially at a price to make your budget. Several manufactures are offering fluted barrels but I've seen Faxon has a spiral type fluting. Whether Faxon will offer this fluting on a 6.5 Grendel barrel we'll have to wait till Faxon releases the 6.5 Grendel barrels to the public.

Bear Creek Arsenal is selling 20"-24" 6.5 Grendel barrels with fluting. Also look at Odin Works who offers a 20" 6.5 Grendel. You could order a barrel to your specification from Precision Firearms, T-Box, Satern or Lilja but I doubt you'll meet your budget for your build.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

The new C products defense mags have been the best for me. They are us made, and the springs arnt as stiff as the e-landers. I can only vouch for the 5 and 10 rounders though. Price is very reasonable as well.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

X-Caliber can do it but not within your budget.
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

You could go with a 20" Odin Works kit (heavy 20" barrel, not fluted though) that comes with a matching BCG and bolt, tunable has block, and gas tube for around $400.. an upper and standard charging handle will run you about $100, and a standard lower and parts kit will run you anywhere from $1-200...

Still leaves you without a hanguard (you can spend anywhere from $20-$200) scope and mount, and you will probably want a better trigger and or stock eventually.. bit this would get your feet wet..

Comment

• Lastrites
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

Or give DSarms a glance, complete upper with Odin parts for $599 and I would venture to guess waiting for Fourth of July sale would save you some coin.
                        DS Arms is a quality firearms manufacturer specializing in the FAL Rifle, AR15 Rifle and RPD Rifle and latest parts & accessories

Comment

• codokrat
                          Unwashed
                          • Jun 2017

As for the budget build, I want to point out that the Odinworks bbl doesn't come with a gas tube which led to me paying way too much at the local gunstore. Also, the dsarms link above looks like a good buy, I love the O2 light handguard, only annoyance would be that it doesn't have the tunable gas block if you care.

Comment

• jcjarmon
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2016

6.5 grendel build

DO yourself a favor, buy the first, and build your second. This is what Id recommend.

24" 6.5 Grendel Type II 416R Stainless Steel AR-15 Complete Upper Assembly

AR-15 Complete Lower Assembly Multi Caliber
                            This page displays when the page cannot be found, the link is broken, or the page has been moved.

The upper is 250.00 and shipping directly to you.
                            the lower is 143.00 and shipping to your gun store.

You can save yourself a lot on money if you know the right people.
                            PM me a phone number.ua6-5rhb2418-ss-15-lwkm-webmain.jpglower-assembly_1.jpg

Comment

• jcjarmon
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2016

skip the echo, and go with the two stage. there expensive, but worth it. CMC two stage is a nice one too.

Comment

Working...
                              X