Anyone interested in a Damascus knife build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bldsmith
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

Got back into the shop today. Profiled the blades and got them surface ground.

Profiled.

On these I chose to grind in the profiles. Forging profiles distorts some damascus patterns. Grinding the profiles preserves the pattern.

Removed scale and flattened on disc.

Surface ground. I can usually get them pretty flat on the 9" disc grinder. However to get a better finished grind I like to surface grind them giving me a perfectly parallel blade. Then I can scribe in the center-line and grind in bevels.

Did a quick etch to get an idea of the final pattern.

That's all I have time for today. Have to get ready to go sleep at the VA tonight. Sleep study. Last one I did I had one of the best nights sleep ever. That was 10 years ago. Dr (and wife) wants another. More later.
    A. C. Richards OTAC USN RET

ABS Journeyman Smith

http://acrichardscustomknives.com/

Comment

• 37L1
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Looking good!

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Fascinating! Very cool.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Sputnik
          Warrior
          • May 2013

So, do you sell your creations to keep your hobby going?

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

Sputnik, there is a link to his website under each of his posts.

Very nice stuff there
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• bldsmith
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2017

I mostly do custom orders. If you see something you like call or email me and we can work it out.

A bit more for today. First I need to square up the shoulders. I use a precision file guide I made to do this. It is made out of D2 air hardening steel. It is very hard and the file will pretty much skate over the surface.

Set up in the guide.

Filed square.

Notice the junction between the tang and shoulder are not 90 degrees but has a radius. This is to prevent stress risers during heat treat.

Now I need to mark the center-line. This gives me a reference for grinding. I mark all around the blade, not just the cutting edge but the spine as well.

One blade ground to 220 grit.

ABS Journeyman Smith

Comment

• bldsmith
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2017

and both ground ready for heat treat.

I use the 2x72 belt grinder and a 36 grit belt for the rough grinding. Then I go to a 9" disc to get things all nice and flat. There will be a little more clean up after heat treat.

Now I need to get some others ready so I can fire up my salt pot. More to come.

ABS Journeyman Smith

Comment

• bldsmith
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2017

I have decided the top, slightly wider blade, will be finished as a typical clip point bowie. The bottom narrower blade I intend to make a longer swedge possibly sharpened or just short of sharp. This will be a pig stabber. Some may also call it a fighter.

ABS Journeyman Smith

Comment

• Sputnik
                    Warrior
                    • May 2013

Duh...Thanks, you are right...extremely nice works of Art. What vision!
                    Last edited by Sputnik; 06-29-2017, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Really cool, waiting for the next posts.

Comment

• bldsmith
                        Bloodstained
                        • Apr 2017

Sorry it has been so long. Had a pretty crappy summer. Had to put down our 14 YO Springer Spaniel in Jul. She just got too bad and was not having any good days. That was right in the middle of putting a new roof on the house in one of the first heat waves of the summer. We did get a new puppy and that has come with its own fun. I am now able to get back into the shop on a limited basis.

I am building a few more items to make heat treating worth while. I made a few hatchets and gave one to a good friend/customer. he ordered a new one but in a slightly smaller configuration. Take a piece of Cat spring and forge it into the desired shape.

Start shaping.

and rough shaped.

and then grind and get ready for heat treat.

I decided to make one for myself, the larger one, and one extra for the sales table.

ABS Journeyman Smith

Comment

• bldsmith
                          Bloodstained
                          • Apr 2017

I also started another project. Had another call with someone who wanted to use a Leg-hold trap, old garage door spring and old files he found in his Grandfathers garage to make a few knives. I forgot to get a picture of them before cutting them up. Here is the pile of stuff before putting into the canister.

I add material to fill the voids, The can in the upper right has a nickle bearing steel. The ziplock bag in the upper left has shot peen, micro steel balls made from 1080 steel. I put enough of these in to fill the voids and seal the container.

Here is a shot of the inside after the first welding heat.

And once the billet is better consolidated making a solid piece of steel.

and finally take a piece of the bar and forge the blades.

Now to grind and heat treat. Hopefully tomorrow will have the heat treat results.

ABS Journeyman Smith

Comment

• bldsmith
                            Bloodstained
                            • Apr 2017

Well. Been working on the blades slowly. Got all the blades and hatchets heat treated. Did final grinding and finished the blades I had orders for. I had gone ahead and finish ground the 2 bowie blades I was making for this thread. I left them sitting and came upon this the other day.

Look closely at the blade on the right. There is a thin red line running up the middle toward the tip. This is a fatal flaw. Called a cold shut. Cannot see it until after heat treat and it sits and begins to rust. Here is a close shot of the other side.

So how did this happen. I know the forge was plenty hot. 2350+. It may have broken lose during forging if I let it get too cool. The bottom line is the blade is scrap.

I probably could have prevented it by taking a little extra time and surface grinding the mating surfaces. Then welding up the seams to prevent oxidation. Because I took a shortcut I lost 50% if my work. I do this every couple years and go back to doing it the longer way. I get 99% success when I take the extra step.

Live and learn.

I might be able to grind a blade from the good section. But the pattern will be off. I will set it aside until I decide what to do with it.

ABS Journeyman Smith

Comment

• 37L1
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2015

Oh man! What a kick in the . . . ! Hate it when we know that we shoulda and don't, then pay for it.

Admire your skill and patience.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                                Chieftain
                                • Feb 2013

Yeah that sucks. The only thing I could relate would be fisheyes that don't show up until I spray the first coat of clear. The hard work is done and there is no way to work your way out of it.
                                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

Working...
                                X