• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZHTfreak
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

BA Barrel Specs

So, it seems that Ballistic Advantage has decided to go with a "Type 2" on all it's Grendel barrels. So much for the SAAMI spec chamber...They pussed out on the compound throat? Feel free to weigh in.
    Last edited by AZHTfreak; 06-14-2017, 03:20 AM.
    DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

Type II is not the same as Grendel II. Type II typically just refers to a chamber that headspaces on a 0.136" bolt face depth. Grendel II is the non-SAAMI chambering without the compound threat.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Yeah, I'd verify whether Type II in their parlance refers to throat or headspace.

I have a very strong preference for the SAAMI chamber and personally would never buy or sell anything but; however, other chamberings are not the end of the world, either. If I really wanted a BA, I wouldn't let it stop me.
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

If the barrel is sold as 6.5 Grendel it should use the SAAMI spec reamer but can be chambered to use .136 bolt face depth 6.5 Grendel bolt or .125 depth 7.62X39 bolt. The whole idea of SAAMI is to ensure compatability between barrels and ammunition, hense Bill A's insistence on getting SAAMI approval for the 6.5 Grendel.

Here is the description of the 6.5 Grendel barrel from Ballistic Advantage.

This 6.5 Grendel "Type 2" chambered 18 inch barrel is machined from 416 Stainless Steel with a bead blasted finish. Our Premium Series Barrels feature a FailZero Nickel Boron Coated Extended M4 Feed Ramp Extension.

If you look at BA description of the 6.5 Grendel bolt it states .136 Bolt Face Depth Type II. Hopefully the industry is starting to standardize on the 6.5 Grendel SAAMI spec chamber and .136 bolts. It probably depends on where and how the consumers spend their money if the varient chambers and X39 .125 bolt survive in the market place. Black Hole Weaponry started using Type I to indicate 7.62X39 .125 bolts and Type II to signify .136 6.5 Grendel bolts. Most manufactures have since started identifying .136 bolts as Type II.

As a manufacture you wouldn't want to sell 223 Remingtion chambered barrels stamped 5.56X45. Would a manufacture stamp a 223 Wylde barrel with a 223 Remington chamber, probably not intentionally. If the barrel is stamped 6.5 Grendel it should be a SAAMI spec barrel. When Alexander Arms trade marked the 6.5 Grendel name it was to ensure you got a true to spec 6.5 Grendel barrel and why other manufactures had to use different names for their different designed chambers like 264 LBC AR, Grendel II, 6.5 CSS and 6.5 Sporter.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-14-2017, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Bolts are .136, but the gray area is their chamber as it isn't clearly stated SAAMI anywhere in their product description. They would benefit from a revised product description to clear the air, or it is as described a type II chamber which in my mind is a .300 neck with parallel walls.

Comment

• Drillboss
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

I swapped some e-mails with BA a couple weeks ago. At first, they just told me the Type II just referred to the bolt face depth.

Then I pressed them on the chamber and they replied with "It’s a a little bit different than SAAMI. SAAMI, came out later than type 2."

Shortly after that I got another message that said, "It's a SAAMI spec chamber with a Type II bolt."

I wish I could see their reamer drawing.

Comment

• mdram
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
              I wish I could see their reamer drawing.
              ask them for it
              when i emailed shilen they sent me thier reamer drawing
              just some targets for printing
              https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Drillboss
                Warrior
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                ask them for it
                when i emailed shilen they sent me thier reamer drawing
                I did.

Response was "I don’t have the ability to send the draws right now."

Comment

• mdram
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2016

really? no email or scanner
                  how 1980 of them
                  just some targets for printing
                  https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• drewthebrave
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                    really? no email or scanner
                    how 1980 of them
                    It's not something a customer service rep can just easily email you. They'd have to talk to their manager, wait for engineering approval, and then have someone draft up a version for public view. That's IF they want to share it - they don't have to.

As for me, I'm happy with my Anderson 6.5 Grendel barrel as a steel-cased Wolf blaster. Once the dust settles on the new offerings from BA, BCA, Faxon, etc, I'll be in the market for a nicer barrel and then cut down the Anderson for my pistol.

With all this confusion, the Alexander Arms barrel offerings at $195 are looking better to me every day. At least you KNOW you're getting the proper chambering.

Comment

• kcb38
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2017

From AR15.com:
                      Originally Posted By BallisticAdvantage:

Definitely a SAAMI chamber. Stainless, non-nitrided. Button rifling and 1:8 twist rate....

Post is about 3/4 the way down this page
                      Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.
                      Last edited by kcb38; 06-14-2017, 05:32 PM.
                      - Kirk -

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

Thank you all for your input! I really hope BA cleans up it's descriptions to clearly state these are SAAMI spec chambers and require a .136" bolt. There's enough FUD regarding this round, shouldn't need to go on a snipe hunt to figure out what exactly the specs are...
                        DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• Drillboss
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2015

I'd say they need more feedback emails from the public (from us) pointing out that Type II chambering doesn't mean anything and SAAMI does.

Comment

• Troutguide
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

To that end wouldn't SAMMI chamber automatically mean .136 bolt face. It's simple just say SAMMI, make it correctly and be done with it.
                            "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Drillboss
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2015

Its not automatic. A SAAMI chamber can be cut to utilize either bolt face.

Comment

Working...
                              X