• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slickshot223
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

Originally posted by funnelcake View Post
    Pretty sure Midway switched to BCA barrels for their AR Stoner line. Have you tried cranking the gas block until it's a "single shot" and adjusting out from there? I might have missed it...is it mid-length or rifle length gas?
    funnelcake--I have not, but have been thinking the same, trying to re-think this whole mess!! Checking the barrels at Classic Arms, think they are BCA barrels, the gas port is .070 in the 18" barrels!!
    Last edited by slickshot223; 08-09-2017, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• slickshot223
      Unwashed
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
      Forward bouncing brass, think it may be tagging the back edge of the ejection port as it is flipping out? Check to see how far the bcg manually will pull back, the face of the bolt should be forward of the back edge of the ejection port by like an 1/8" to 1/4" when you manually pull all the way back with the charging handle. If the face of the bolt disappears behind the back edge it will toss brass forward.
      Lastrites--will check this Thursday when on the range, might make sense with all the other changes!! The gas port folks tell me the brass should be dumped at 3 o clock or later!!
      Last edited by slickshot223; 08-09-2017, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• rasp65
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

Check out the ejection pattern on these Grendels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf4_5S_J6gU they start at the 3 min mark. Mine ejects similar to the first since my upper has no deflector.

Comment

• slickshot223
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2017

Have taken all the suggestions into account, nothing has helped to any large degree! Am going back to basics and start over! Have an adjustable gas block that is different than the norm, it vents excess gas rather than choking!! If I have no success with working through from the beginning, I will install a choking gas block, hoping to have better results!! If not better will change the barrel!!

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

Going back to your original posting, is the barrel chromed? If so, there was a thread here some time ago about the inconsistencies in the plated thickness of lined barrels. If that is your case, there is nothing that you can do to make it any better. The effects on accuracy would be totally unpredictable but can / will also have an affect on pressure so watch for those signs. Obviously, changes in pressure equals changes in accuracy. Considering the context of this thread, sounds like it is new barrel time.

Comment

• slickshot223
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2017

The barrel is SS, so not chrome lined!! Beginning to agree," new barrel time!!"

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Easy, big fella. Some folks 'round these parts don't know Stainless Steel and Chrome Lined are mutually exclusive features.

As far as your efforts to tame your gas issues, I did not read where you detailed any information about how it behaved when the gas was reduced. Perhaps you simply glossed over those details, but all the adjustable gas blocks I've seen and used direct you to reduce the gas to minimum and then increase the gas flow until the rifle functions properly (no FTE/FTF and locking back on empty chamber). Did the brass ever eject at an angle approaching 3 o'clock?

I also did not read where you got to the bottom of the two "loose spots" in that barrel's bore. Did anyone ever run a borescope? Or has that issue resolved itself?

Even still - there remains one looming possibility, ss223. Assuming you get your gas issues resolved, that rifle may still only be capable of ~1 moa accuracy. 30 years ago, most people I knew with rifles called that exceptional accuracy. With production methods today, 1 moa is the new average. Given the possibility that this is as good is it gets, your friend will have to answer the "Should it stay, or should it go now?" question.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• slickshot223
                  Unwashed
                  • Apr 2017

Have not had any success with the gas block, it is a style that vents gas as opposed to choking, from what I have found so far it appears that it does not vent enough gas!! Going back through that whole procedure again!!
                  Thinking of installing a choke type to see if there is any improvement , have one to try in the next few days!! Have not been concerned with the loose areas in the bore till I get the gas issue tamed!

Comment

• just_john
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2012

Unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise, don't install an adjustable choke, do a fixed one and see what the difference is. Eliminate some variables, one at a time. Gas blocks are cheap. Barrels aren't.

Comment

Working...
                    X