X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

Accuracy load for 24" 1:8 123 gr

What has been your most accurate load for a 24" 1:8 123 gr? Hornady ELD, Nosler, Match King 123s. Have other powders, but thought of starting with CFE223.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Accuracy's going to depend on your barrel, but start low and work up to a max of about 32.0gr CFE under the 123s. That load was for the 123 A-Max, so be careful if other bullets of the same weight have different bearing surface lengths.

You're on the right track with CFE and 123-class of bullets.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

Unwashed
      • Jun 2017

What OAL and jump to the lands have worked best for you?

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

Forum: 6.5 Grendel Ammunition & Reloading
        Discuss 6.5 Grendel handloading data as well as official SAAMI 6.5 Grendel factory ammunition. Any new threads about specific bullets or powders should have that name in the title, otherwise add to existing threads dedicated to specific bullets or powders.

Check out the stickys in the above forum

Also get a set of the reloading manuals from arbuildbox.com also found in the industry partner forum
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Don't forget the Scenars. They have the longest legs of the group.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

I bet with cfe223 in a 24" pipe a guy could get some really impressive velocity.

Comment

• Bobke
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

31.7 CFE, 123 Nosler CC, CCI 41 primer good for 2650 in 24" Satern. Very accurate, low SD. This in my barrel; work up in yours, as always.

Comment

• jcjarmon
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2016

I'm seeing just a hair over 2700 with a 26 inch Krieger and the gas turned almost off. Has taken some doing, but I think I can get a very stable 2750 with Berger 120 gr BT Target rounds. Find out this week.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jcjarmon View Post
                  I'm seeing just a hair over 2700 with a 26 inch Krieger and the gas turned almost off. Has taken some doing, but I think I can get a very stable 2750 with Berger 120 gr BT Target rounds. Find out this week.
                  jc:

Those velocities look more like .260 velocities.

What load are you using?

LR55

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Factory Hornady has been very accurate from a Lilja bull barrel. Repeated sub .6 MOA 5rd groups, several in the .3s and .4s.

I would do a ladder with CFE223, 8208XBR, or AR Comp with your bullet of choice. I've had more than acceptable results with 123gr AMAX, 123gr SMK, and 123gr Scenar.

If you want more distance and less wind drift, try the Hornady ELD-Ms instead of AMAX.

With 8208XBR, most nodes are around 28gr, many have been 28.3gr in the past, but you do need to work up per standard reloading guidelines. Don't exceed 28.5gr of 8208XBR under a 123gr cup and core pill.

With CFE223 under a 123gr, work up with a max of 31.9gr if you have a SAAMI chamber. Many people stop at 31.1-31.6gr. My 31.2gr CFE223 load under 123gr AMAX from a Lightweight Lilja barrel still cuts a ragged 10 round hole at 100yds with a polished rack trigger.

You should really consider the reloading handbooks we put together. You won't find anywhere near as comprehensive data in them out there. They have way more than load data, to include tool and die selection, components, rifle set-up, detailed load procedures, shoulder set-back, primer seating depths, etc.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X