• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiloechoxray
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2017

? for gas block geeks.

Has anyone here made their own gas block or modified an existing one?

For the build I'm doing, I'm trying to use up some of the existing parts I have.

My hope is to take one of the Aluminum quadrail gas blocks I've removed from other rifles and modify it on my mill to be a low profile.

I looked at some LP gas blocks and most are steel, but some are AL. For a carbine or pistol length gas system I wouldn't consider this but since its rifle length it might be safe enough since some manufacturer is putting their ass on the line selling one.

I have not done this before but I'm curious to get some insight before I start making chips on the mill.

Thanks.
  • jcjarmon
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

If you can figure your port pressure, you can use Aluminum. My port pressure on a rifle length gas system is just under 4800 pounds, an aluminum gas block can handle that with no problem. So unless your building about 72k pounds of Chamber pressure on a .258 bored barrel, your safe. I make my own adjustable gas blocks out of 7075 aluminum, but 6061 will do it if you use a clamp design like JP enterprises does there .936 low-pro adjustable.

Comment

• kiloechoxray
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by jcjarmon View Post
      If you can figure your port pressure, you can use Aluminum. My port pressure on a rifle length gas system is just under 4800 pounds, an aluminum gas block can handle that with no problem. So unless your building about 72k pounds of Chamber pressure on a .258 bored barrel, your safe. I make my own adjustable gas blocks out of 7075 aluminum, but 6061 will do it if you use a clamp design like JP enterprises does there .936 low-pro adjustable.

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-8
      That is essentially what I'm going for.

I see a lot of dimensional drawing on the web for LP gas blocks but I have to assume they're all steel. So I'm trying to get safely close to that and fit inside my hand guard.

Comment

Working...
      X