• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InvisibleChicken
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

New guy from Tx

Been reading for a little while here, and am very interested in a 6.5 Grendel to hunt/shoot paper & steel. I'd like to learn how to shoot out to at least 500 yards. I'm trying to replace my heavy .308 for a smaller just as capable cartridge in an Ar platform.

I see there is a lot of good info here, but I get overwhelmed choosing between quality and staying within a budget. I hope I can jump in the 6.5 water and learn some more and hopefully contribute at some point.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experiences.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Welcome friend!! I'm a little bias towards Odin Works 6.5 Grendel kit. I believe they are the best balance between budget and value currently. For around $400 retail you can get a stainless barrel either 16", 18" or 20" with a 1 moa guarante, complete BCG and bolt (all SAAMI spec), tunable has block and gas tube. Whatever you decide keep us posted!

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum InvisibleChicken! Check out the Group buy section here on 6.5 Grendel Forum. There is currently a Faxon 20" 1:8 twist 6.5 Grendel barrel group buy on order. This barrel is Stainless Steel Nitride QPQ with 5R rifling. There are a few of these barrels left so if your interested there is still time to get one of these barrels. There is also a group buy on 6.5 Grendel bolts. Both have very good prices.

Faxon is soon to release 6.5 Grendel barrels. Ballistic Advantage is selling Stainless Steel 6.5 Grendel barrels as well as Odin who was mentioned above. Alexander Arms have their 16" & 18" fluted Stainless Steel barrels on sale for $195.00.

Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of the Horde, here is the official kick-off for our group buy of rifle-length 20" 6.5 Grendel barrels manufactured by Faxon Firearms. These are great hunting barrels. At 20" they give the best velocity one can get within a reasonable field length and with standard
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-16-2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome! What part of the Nation of Texas are you in? Texas is pretty broadly covered with Grendel lovers. I am in Collin county and there are lots of other Grendels within a short distance of me. This forum is an incredible source of info on Grendels, ARs/MSRs in general and just plain livin'!

Comment

• InvisibleChicken
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2017

Thanks for the heads up on the group buy and the welcome.

I'm in San Antonio. I like to get out of town when possible. Love me some Port A and getting out to College Station to visit family.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

Welcome to the Horde from the Metromess.

It is a ways up here but if serious about wanting to shoot to 800 or so yards with your Grendel when you get it this guy will have you ringing steel out to 800 with your setup when you get it with dope for your rifle and lots of good instruction. He is between Greenville and Bonham at Wolfe City.

Precision and Long Range Rifle Training Body position behind the rifle, prone or bench. Proper sight alignment. Proper trigger control. Mil or […]

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Welcome!

Many of us are right there with you. I am of the opinion that it is more expensive to buy cheap and have to redo it than to buy quality the first time and be done with it.

Be patient and you may get lucky on the classifieds.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Redomen
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

Welcome fellow Texan. There is a 18" group buy as well.

Comment

• Bobke
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2015

Just up the road fm SA in Bandera. Gun Club about a mile fm the house. Ever find yourself heading this way, PM. Lot's of well vetted info here, and willingly shared. You're in the right place on two counts-Texas, and this forum. Bienvenidos.

Comment

• dttheliman
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by InvisibleChicken View Post
                    Thanks for the heads up on the group buy and the welcome.

I'm in San Antonio. I like to get out of town when possible. Love me some Port A and getting out to College Station to visit family.
                    Also in San Antonio ... welcome , like the other guys said !

Comment

• CJ7nvrstk
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2017

Welcome from far N Dallas.

Comment

• Texas
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum from North Texas. Great cartridge for Texas.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. 500yds is pretty boring for me even with a lightweight 18" Grendel rapid-fired, but it is nice to watch and hear the impact without having to manage a lot of recoil that would normally jerk your sight picture off of the target.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                          X