• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • llamaboy
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2012

Accuracy and receivers

Benchrest shooters use big, heavy actions because they are stronger, thus holding the bolt in line with the barrel better. It also gives a stronger union at the barrel/receiver junction. Does any of this apply to ARs? Does a bigger and/or stronger receiver aid in accuracy, all other things being equal, in an AR? I know there are many other factors that aid accuracy, but let's just concentrate on the receiver. I use my rifles for hunting, and I don't want to lug around a 10# rifle. My current builds run around 8#, with scope, and get .75 MOA accuracy. So, would a heftier action increase my accuracy?

LikeShow more reactions
    Co

Life is too short for cheap rifles, cheap bourbon, or cheap women.
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

For a single data point, I didn't see any noticeable difference changing out a forged upper receiver for a billet. This was with a pretty heavy profile 20" Shilen barrel.

When I showed my neighbor a target group with various loads ranging from 5/8" groups to 1-1/2" groups, he said, "those should all kill a deer".

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Really long heavy barrels are supposed to be better with billet receivers... or so I read.

For a .75 moa hunting rifle I wouldn't worry about it, whatever you are hunting won't know the difference.

Comment

• jcjarmon
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2016

The receivers are not as important as the barrel and the bolt. If your barrel and bolt mate together well, the bullet has no idea what kind of receivers your using. Thats why a good reamer and crown are the keys to accuracy in ARs. A good adjustable gas block is the third component to increase accuracy. Not over-gassing the action is a must. Even more important than the trigger you use.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=llamaboy;159449]So, would a heftier action increase my accuracy?QUOTE]

Probably not...

The system of battery in a bolt gun includes the barrel, receiver and bolt. It has to be solid.
          The system of battery in an AR includes the barrel, barrel extension and bolt. The receiver just holds it all together and provides a platform for the optic.

You need a solid receiver in a bolt gun but not in the AR. A heavier action in an AR will just make it heavier. This would help accuracy in that it would be more forgiving to jump and hold. but you could achieve extra weight in other, more efficient ways like have a heavier handguard, or attach a plate to the underside, or saddle-bag the handguard.

(Unconvinced a good gas block is an important influencer of accuracy... Barrel, scope, trigger.)

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

I have to agree with Klem on this one.

I'm convinced that the design of the original upper receiver is solid enough, as it is. I believe it to be far more important to build them straight and interference free.

I have two bull barreled AR's. Both are built with the bench top as their primary domain, with free float hand guards, lapped receivers, and bedded extensions. One, a 22" 264 LBC, has a heavy, thick walled, "slick side" extruded receiver from DPMS. The other, a 20" 5.56 / 223, was built with a standard NiB receiver from R-Guns. Both rifles are heavy little pigs but, as I said, they are not for carrying around the bush.

Side by side, on a calm day, both rifles will shoot 3/4 moa groups from the magazine, all day, out to 560 yards.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• jcjarmon
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

I found that 123-130 grain rounds get very tight when they pass 2700fps out of my 26 inch Krieger barrel. The gas block keeping the pressure as high as possible, for as long as possible is how I manage to do it.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by jcjarmon View Post
                I found that 123-130 grain rounds get very tight when they pass 2700fps out of my 26 inch Krieger barrel. The gas block keeping the pressure as high as possible, for as long as possible is how I manage to do it.
                Yep, gotta be the gas block. Krieger had nothing to do with it
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

I understand your point when you say a particular velocity gives you the tightest groups, but the block is not the critical part here. It's the amount and type of powder that results in a predictable amount of pressure, which imparts velocity. The only thing that gas block does is rob the system of pressure/velocity. If you want to keep that pressure as high as possible then use an adjustable gas to bleed only what you need to cycle the action reliably, and make sure the system is sealed by using tight fitting parts and glue where you can. Or just use more powder if it's not dangerous to do so.

Comment

• jcjarmon
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2016

I promise, That 600 dollar barrel, and the 300 dollar Cryptic Coatings Bolt Carrier group had a lot to do with it. I spent more on that rifle than I did the car I drive.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2013

I promise, That 600 dollar barrel, and the 300 dollar Cryptic Coatings Bolt Carrier group had a lot to do with it. I spent more on that rifle than I did the car I drive.
                      You definitely have your priorities in the right order.
                      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

Working...
                      X