• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wafavre2
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

First ladder target!

So much for running a ladder at 100 yards. Loaded 3 rounds per charge with .3 grains spread over 18 total rounds fired. Guess I need to increase the spread to .5 grains and and load 2 rounds per charge to get better definition. Then pick the best 2 loads and work those individually?
    IMG_0246.jpg
  • FW Conch
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

If You kept a record of the ones that are touching, You could just pick any of those loads and You are good to go. At least at 100yds ;-)).

But for Me, that's why ladders are useless at anything less than 300yds. For 100yds, I much prefer the Optimum Charge Weight (OCW) system...or one of its variations. Just makes a lot more sense to Me across the board. As You move out in distance, You can use the same system, or switch back to Ladder. But You will have narrowed down the base line.

Good Luck...Keep Us Informed

Comment

• Wafavre2
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

Thanks, I will have to check out the OCW.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

That Bartlein really seems to shoot a wide range of charges quite well.

An OCW series might tell you more, though.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Commander184
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2016

300 yard ladder works for me

Comment

• 37L1
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Commander184 View Post
            300 yard ladder works for me
            This.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Do not use .5gr increments in 6.5 Grendel. Those are too coarse for a ~30gr case capacity.

General rule of thumb is to use 1% increments of case volume, so .3gr in this cartridge.

With my .270 Winchester, .5gr and .6gr increments make sense depending on the powder. In .308 and .260 Rem, .4gr increments.

In .223 Rem, .2gr increments.

Go to 300yds, or look at ES at 100yds if you chrono'd.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Wafavre2
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

Thanks LLRPF52, I have batches of each loaded using the OCW method 1 with 123 AMAX and 1 with 123 Sierra BTHP shooting 3 rounds per charge wt. of 8208 BRX to see if this method is better at 100 yards.

Will

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I agree with L52---- yet I used .2 with CFE powder per ladder step up. I dialed in some nice tight groups -for my 200 yd Max hunting rifle. Diff wt. pills also.

That's the cool factor of this round- you can do trials all day long, you don't get shoulder pummeled, easy on powder volume-- It's easy to dial in if one just follows the charts upon it.

If off in the zone I go to once in a while for Different wts.,, PM me. I have a printed sheet from Walt Berger for the Grrr from 9-10 years ago here.

It's cool data . Different yet - normal powders that have no known data for the Grr- except thru his pressure testing at Berger co.

If I could only find a way to post pics again... Pixels are too large? How to reduce them? I phone pics only.
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 06-29-2017, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X