• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Btrip94
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2016

Help with what I need to start reloading

Hello, i just purchased the horandy lock-n-load classic reloading kit. I know I'm going to need a good scale and the dyes but I was wondering in order of importance what else do I need to add to start reloading? By the way for all of 2017 you get free bullets with any reloading supply purchace. Thanks for any help!
  • bigdaddyflo
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

Whew, where to start! First off start with a couple good reloading manuals and read - read -read! Knowledge will be your best tool!
    Now that I've said that, the kit should come with the press and some essential items. In addition to all that you will need dies, a shell holder, a good set of calipers, a brass tumbler/media, case trimmer (Lee hand trimmer is cheap but takes a while - I use an RCBS prep station, but you can go other routes) and eventually a bullet puller (you will mess up).
    Nice things to have will be case annealers, case gauge, bullet comparator, power metering inserts (don't know if they make one for your powder measure), etc.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Btrip94 View Post
      Hello, i just purchased the horandy lock-n-load classic reloading kit. I know I'm going to need a good scale and the dyes but I was wondering in order of importance what else do I need to add to start reloading? By the way for all of 2017 you get free bullets with any reloading supply purchace. Thanks for any help!
      Doing some reading here, researching and learning, as I put together my first Grendel. Just wondering what presses and dies everybody is using. I currently have a Lee Challenger Breech lock press and mostly Lee dies for 223/5.56, 308, 243, 45ACP, and 38/357. This was a kit that also included the Perfect powder measure and

Comment

• Btrip94
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by bigdaddyflo View Post
        Whew, where to start! First off start with a couple good reloading manuals and read - read -read! Knowledge will be your best tool!
        Now that I've said that, the kit should come with the press and some essential items. In addition to all that you will need dies, a shell holder, a good set of calipers, a brass tumbler/media, case trimmer (Lee hand trimmer is cheap but takes a while - I use an RCBS prep station, but you can go other routes) and eventually a bullet puller (you will mess up).
        Nice things to have will be case annealers, case gauge, bullet comparator, power metering inserts (don't know if they make one for your powder measure), etc.
        Sounds good thanks for the info.

Thanks for posting I'll read though that now.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

List I put together on another forum several years ago, basically a list to get started

Good to a dd to this list COAL and head space gauges.

Originally posted by kmon1
          Some information for those new to reloading or thinking about getting into reloading. While not complete it is a good start on our ideas of what is needed and some of our thoughts. this list id for Metallic cartridge reloading (Rifle/Pistol) Respectfully RiverRider, KC, Jeh7mmmag, and kmon1

Get at least 2 reloading manuals, Lee or lyman are both good for explaining reloading. I would say pick either of them and one from your favorite bullet manufacture.

Study the manuals on how to and what you will be doing. As far as data goes those with what is available online from various component manufactures should be enough to keep you out of trouble and finding good load information. If not post up questions when you have them.

If you can find a mentor that can show you the ropes for setup and loading even better. If not there are other sources. Lee, Sinclar, and others have some very good videos online showing the reloading process. If you are within driving distance of Cabelas in Fort Worth the Sunday reloading classes have been highly recommended.

As far as equipment there are many choices. You can get by with the cheapest equipment and darned little of it, but generally speaking you'll get what you pay for. With that in mind, if you're a hunter or plinker interested in reloading for hunting or plinking are *the focus* for you, buy the most economical equipment you think will suit you. If you think you might want to play around and experiment in search for the most accurate load you can build, spend more. There are many different perspectives on reloading, and each aspiring reloader's purposes and objectives justify an infinite number of approaches to the game and how much money should be invested in equipment.

Press - for someone starting out Single stage press is the way to go. The presses is where you will find more disagreements than any other equipment on which is best. Lets just say some are better than others but all the presses on the market today can be used to reload some great ammo. Pick one you like and can afford, because if you take care of it the press will probably outlast you. Much like a good rifle if you wear a press out reloading then you will have had a lot of good times and spent a lot of time with it.

Dies - all the manufactures make some great ones. Any case with a shoulder or taper will have to use steel dies with lubricant. Straight wall pistol cases can be sized with carbide dies. Carbide eliminates the need to lubricate cases and really speeds up the job of processing brass.

Full Length sizing dies you will want a set for each caliber you plan to reload for. Always use a FL resizing die for automatic, pump or leveraction rifles, and if reloading brass shot in a different firearm.

Neck sizing dies are great for accuracy loads and extend case life by working the brass less than a FL resizing die. the Collete type dies for neck sizing are very good and work the brass even less.

Bullet seating dies are used to seat the bullet and many have the ability to crimp or not depending on how you setup the die.

Crimp- Taper vs Roll

You will hear these terms thrown around, but it's important to understand the difference. A roll crimp is just what it sounds like- the mouth of the case is rolled into a crimping groove or cannelure in the projectile. It offers a very stable crimp but it works the mouth of your brass and can lead to splitting.

A taper crimp, on the other hand, squeezes the mouth of the case into the projectile evenly. It doesn't work the brass nearly as much and is the only crimp method that will work in most auto pistol calibers, since they headspace off the case mouth.

Crimping is necessary to keep the bullet from moving in the case during recoil.

factory crimp dies are great for crimping and easy to use.

CASE HOLDER - You will need one for your press to hold the shell in the press. If you use Lee dies the correct shell holder is included.

Case trimmers - are another necessary tool, as cartridges are fired and re-sized the brass will eventually stretch causing it to be too long which is not good as this can cause excessive pressures, cambering issues or both. Cases need to be trimmed to spec and if you are crimping the loads having them all the same length makes that a lot simpler.

When getting started, the Lee trimmer system works well and is inexpensive. It takes a little bit of time and elbow grease, but generally only trim every 3rd-4th loading.

PRIMING EQUIPMENT = the hand held ones are simple to use and do a great job. The Lee and RCBS versions are great.

POWDER SCALES - there are many good ones. Digital scales are very popular these days and a good one can speed up the loading process. The balance beam scale is still a good option, Learn how to use your scale and make sure it is calibrated before trusting it for weighing powder charges. Also air flow can make a difference so measuring powder is best done away from fans and AC vents.

When using a powder drop weigh every 4th or 5th charge. If you are loading for precision, you can drop your charge 1/2 grain light and finish it out with your powder tickler in the scale.

CALIPERS - either digital or dial are an necessity for measuring case length and loaded cartridge length. We are talking hundredths or even thousand of an inch to be accurate and safe.

POWDER FUNNEL - Have one. Have two. Have five. You can never have too many funnels!

LOADING BLOCKS - you will want these to hold your cases keeping things organized while you work.

CASE LUBE - the spray ones are good and easy to use but are only one of several options. Cases stuck in reloading dies are a pain to remove.

CASE PREP - you will need at least a camafer/reamer tool for cleaning up cases.

TUMBLER - for cleaning up the brass, another good route for that can be found in the hints sticky thread.

Bench Accessories-

Keep it clean and organized! A cluttered bench is a recipe for disaster! I keep two paper trays on my bench for processing brass, one for before, one for after. This cuts down on the confusion. A good set of blocks is a must, and it allows you to visually check your powder charges. When setting up your bench, be sure to leave plenty of room on the "weak" side of your press. This will give you a place to set your brass bins and ammo trays.

At some point you will most likely acquire other tools of the craft. Bullet pullers....

Mostly have fun and above all be safe. Do not exceed max published loads.

Comment

• Btrip94
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by kmon View Post
            List I put together on another forum several years ago, basically a list to get started

Good to a dd to this list COAL and head space gauges.
            Thanks for all that!

Comment

Working...
            X