• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrazy-Chris
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Ideal Rifle Buffer/Spring for Grendel

Anyone experiment with extra heavy buffers or springs for rifle length tubes on their Grendels? I'm shooting a 20" rifle length gas with fixed rifle stock with standard rifle buffer/spring and I was actually a bit surprised at the recoil. I'd like to avoid a brake to keep the weight and noise down but would like to be able to see my impacts at range.

Anyone have success with extra heavy buffers/springs with a rifle-stocked Grendel?

Does the JP SCS cut down on recoil over the rifle length spring/buffer or is it just to make it feel/sound smoother?
    Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 06-20-2017, 08:10 PM.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I am running the JP SCS H2 version with my JP 22er and recoil is absurdly low. Also have JP LM carrier and compensator and its in a PRS (heavy) which obviously also help with recoil too.

Have you found a heavy rifle buffer anywhere? I want to try something heavier on my 22 Nosler to slow my bolt down but can't find anything other than the standard 5.4 oz rifle buffer for my ARFX. Seems that the only option would be doing a spacer and heavy carbine buffer/spring...
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

Stonehendge, you should be able to replace some of the steel weights with tunsgen if you want to play around with more mass. KAK Industries had them listed on their website.

Comment

• jurassic
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

[QUOTE=Lastrites;159692]Stonehendge, you should be able to replace some of the steel weights with tunsgen if you want to play around with more mass. KAK Industries had them listed on their website.[/QUOTE

I've done this several times, easy to do with a roll pin punch of the proper size.

Comment

• Cockednlocked
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2016

I use a standard spring and H buffer on my 20" rifle gas Grendel. I also use a muzzle brake. Recoil is very light with my relatively hot loads.

Comment

• sk8inrj1
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2017

I use a standard rifle buffer, JP enhanced rifle buffer spring (I believe 7% stiffer) and a precision armament M4-72 brake. Recoil is ridiculously light. I have no problems spotting my own shots from 100 to 1020 yards. I'd swear it has less recoil that my 16" carbine 5.56, granted the carbine is 2 pounds lighter. Also, I don't get any twang from the JP spring through my magpul fixed rifle stock.

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
              Stonehendge, you should be able to replace some of the steel weights with tunsgen if you want to play around with more mass. KAK Industries had them listed on their website.
              Thanks!
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• shooter545
                Warrior
                • Aug 2012

I have had good luck with the Vltor A5 system on one of 6.5 Grendel's.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2015

[QUOTE=jurassic;159701]
                  Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                  Stonehendge, you should be able to replace some of the steel weights with tunsgen if you want to play around with more mass. KAK Industries had them listed on their website.[/QUOTE

I've done this several times, easy to do with a roll pin punch of the proper size.
                  That's a great recommendation, I'm definitely thinking of going this route along with a heavy spring. The only extra heavy rifle buffer I could find was $115 which is just ridiculous. You rock!

Comment

• Blazin
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2013

More mass and heavier buffer springs actually cause more recoil; this has been known by USPSA competitors for a long time, and also Vuurwapen has a great YouTube vid showing this with an AR and various springs and buffers.

I recently tried a Tubb flat wire spring and so far I'm loving it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

More mass with more spring rate returning to battery causes increased reciprocating mass impact effects on your position and sight picture.

I've never felt a 20" RLGS with rifle RET and rifle buffer to recoil hard. Sometimes butt plate hardness translates to more painful felt recoil on a gun that should be pleasant to shoot.

I personally like the JP SCS a lot, but they need to be tuned for your GSL, load range, and gas port.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Blazin View Post
                        More mass and heavier buffer springs actually cause more recoil; this has been known by USPSA competitors for a long time, and also Vuurwapen has a great YouTube vid showing this with an AR and various springs and buffers.

I recently tried a Tubb flat wire spring and so far I'm loving it.
                        I think you're talking about a rifle with the luxury of an adjustable gas block. For a rifle with an adjustable block tuned to run with a heavy buffer vs light buffer, the heavy buffer one is going to have more perceived recoil. If the amount of gas is a constant and the buffer is getting slammed into the rear of the buffer tube, a heavier buffer should absorb more of that shock. This is just the way it all works in my head. I ordered the weights and will be trying it out soon. I can tell you that my M4gery's recoil (carbine gas on 16" barrel - notoriously overgassed) was night and day when I went from standard to a T3 carbine buffer, with the muzzle having much less jump using the T3. Similar results but not as noticeable with my 7.62x39 upper.

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Interesting, of course when initially setting up my 16" odin with tune-able gas block I had a H buffer in the lower and it didn't dawn on me to swap it out pre-tuning. Now I wonder if there is an benefit to back and re-tune with with a regular weighted buffer.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2015

I swapped out 3 of the 5 steel weights in my rifle buffer with tungsten ones from KAK. Much to my surprise, the roll pin was missing completely from my buffer; I suspect it was never there in the first place. Fortunately the bumper fits tight enough that I'm not worried about running it without one until my next midway order. I hope to have a range report with the heavier buffer sometime but it'll probably be a few weeks. I'm so sick of the East Coast...

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Buffer weights are a function of barrel weight on military guns to counteract carrier bounce. The heavier the barrel, the heavier the buffer needs to be for automatic fire, otherwise you have a hammer falling on an unlocked bolt, and you get FTFire malfunctions. That's why Colt made different buffers for the original M4A1/M4s vs the SOCOM barrel profile M4A1.

Rate reduction is something of a secondary approach with them.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X