• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    I swapped out 3 of the 5 steel weights in my rifle buffer with tungsten ones from KAK. Much to my surprise, the roll pin was missing completely from my buffer; I suspect it was never there in the first place. Fortunately the bumper fits tight enough that I'm not worried about running it without one until my next midway order. I hope to have a range report with the heavier buffer sometime but it'll probably be a few weeks. I'm so sick of the East Coast...
    I wish I had seen your post before I headed to the range yesterday! I had to put my buffer in a vise to tap out the roll pin and to get it back in. I put 2 of the 3 weights I ordered in but I probably would have brought all 3 had I thought that it could be run without the roll pin. Definitely helped slowing down my bolt but its still occasionally starting to rotate before the brass settles so the third weight will go in for the next trip. My gas block had been set one notch above where it would reliable cycle. I went through 50 rounds and the first 20 cycled fine and then I probably had 1 short stroke on the 3rd mag and 2 each on the 4th and 5th. Recoil was noticeably different. Not necessarily less, but different. Went from being like a sharp 223 carbine to a more lower pitched thud. I guess you could say it was more pleasant. Muzzle movement isn't an issue with the 22 Nosler with a VG6 Gamma and 2.5-10x Vortex
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• diddlyv
      Warrior
      • Aug 2016

Not knowing any better I am using a stock carbine buffer and spring on my 20 inch rifle length gas system Odin works barrel rifle. I am also using an adjustable gas block from Odin Works.
      Queen of Battle
      Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
        Not knowing any better I am using a stock carbine buffer and spring on my 20 inch rifle length gas system Odin works barrel rifle. I am also using an adjustable gas block from Odin Works.
        I doubt your any worse off with the std carbine buffer, as I had asked prior with no response if there is any benefit to having a H buffer compared to the carbine. Likely you are using a smidgen less gas when cycling which is likely a good thing but may really not be all that much difference from having a slightly heavier (1/2oz) buffer installed.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
          Warrior
          • Aug 2015

I agree that if you have an adjustable GB, messing with the buffer weights isn't really needed. StoneHendge did a good job of describing the difference in the "feel" of the recoil impulse. You can feel that there's more reciprocating mass with the heavier buffer, but IMO it cuts down on the initial "bang" of the recoil if that makes any sense. Kind of like the difference in shooting a sharp fast but low recoiling gun versus a heavier slower recoiling gun. This is all just based on my experience changing buffers in a carbine .223, have yet to test out the Grendel.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
            Warrior
            • Sep 2015

[QUOTE=Chrazy-Chris;159770]
            Originally posted by jurassic View Post

That's a great recommendation, I'm definitely thinking of going this route along with a heavy spring. The only extra heavy rifle buffer I could find was $115 which is just ridiculous. You rock!

this is the ticket!

a stock rifle buffer "should" work well enough . but a little tune up with these weights turned my rifle super slick-- a nice low buck option.

Comment

• Lastrites
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

[QUOTE=ah1whiskey;160329]
              Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post

this is the ticket!

a stock rifle buffer "should" work well enough . but a little tune up with these weights turned my rifle super slick-- a nice low buck option.
              With or without an adjustable gb?

Comment

• RockNRoll Mullet
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2016

Heavy Buffer

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                I am running the JP SCS H2 version with my JP 22er and recoil is absurdly low. Also have JP LM carrier and compensator and its in a PRS (heavy) which obviously also help with recoil too.

Have you found a heavy rifle buffer anywhere? I want to try something heavier on my 22 Nosler to slow my bolt down but can't find anything other than the standard 5.4 oz rifle buffer for my ARFX. Seems that the only option would be doing a spacer and heavy carbine buffer/spring...

AR15R-XH - 11 ounces Rifle Buffer - $125
                AR15R-XH 11oz Buffer + Wolff XP Spring - $140
                Other weights available by custom order.

Recommended for use with suppressed weapons. Also a great option to help reduce recoil in non-suppressed guns.

Works great with the popular "Big-Bore" calibers - 450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, as well as 7.62x39mm and others.

Many customers use this buffer in standard .223 ARs to make shooting more comfortable for their spouses/youngsters.

I strongly recommend this buffer if any of the following conditions apply:

If you will be shooting with a suppressor. (Your gun will still run fine unsuppressed with standard ammunition.)
                If you will be shooting hot handloads or very heavy bullets.
                If you want maximum recoil reduction.

I recommend using a Wolff XP rifle buffer springs with these buffers. Standard OEM springs or aftermarket springs from other manufacturers may cause malfunctions. 'Flat-Wire' springs are not recommended.

Welcome to HeavyBuffers.com

Manufacturing a full line of custom buffers for all applications ranging from .17 Remington to .50 Beowulf since 2003.

We specialize in buffers for .308 ARs, including ArmaLite AR10, DPMS LR308, POF, Rock River Arms LAR-8 and Knight's SR25. We also have extensive experience with piston operated ARs, pistol-caliber ARs and Class 3 weapons including Full-Auto, SBRs and suppressed weapons. A full line of buffers for .223 and pistol-caliber AR15s is also available.

FFL dealer, also offering gunsmith services. See Shop Services page for more info.
                Last edited by RockNRoll Mullet; 07-22-2017, 12:04 AM. Reason: Fixed links & added info

Comment

• ActionDiver
                  Unwashed
                  • Jul 2017

OP. can you tell us about the ammunition/load you are shooting and what barrel(gas port size) and gas block you are using?

From what I read on AlexanderArms.com, the standard buffer should be the appropriate one. I shot my brothers new build a few weeks ago and it was super soft. That was using an AA 18" barrel, Aero Precision gas block, and standard carbine buffer. Ammo was 123 Grain SST bullets over the just above starting charge recommended of IMR4198. Maybe as the loads get worked up closer to maximum recoil will go up, but I'd not imagine to distracting levels, but I'm curios now.

Comment

• calvarez
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2017

I'm shooting my BCA upper on a lower that has a Tubb's flat spring and Spikes H2 buffer. They seem to work great. I'm new to 6.5 so I don't have a comparison, but I didn't get any noise, or any noticeable issues with the buffer. There might be something better, dunno, but this seems good. The spring and buffer were a nice improvement with the stock .223 upper because it's a bit over-gassed.

Comment

• js8588
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by RockNRoll Mullet View Post
                      http://heavybuffers.com/ar15rxh.html
                      AR15R-XH - 11 ounces Rifle Buffer - $125
                      AR15R-XH 11oz Buffer + Wolff XP Spring - $140

Recommended for use with suppressed weapons. Also a great option to help reduce recoil in non-suppressed guns.

Works great with the popular "Big-Bore" calibers - 450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, as well as 7.62x39mm and others.

Many customers use this buffer in standard .223 ARs to make shooting more comfortable for their spouses/youngsters.

I strongly recommend this buffer if any of the following conditions apply:

If you will be shooting with a suppressor. (Your gun will still run fine unsuppressed with standard ammunition.)
                      If you will be shooting hot handloads or very heavy bullets.
                      If you want maximum recoil reduction.

I recommend using a Wolff XP rifle buffer springs with these buffers. Standard OEM springs or aftermarket springs from other manufacturers may cause malfunctions. 'Flat-Wire' springs are not recommended.

Welcome to HeavyBuffers.com

Manufacturing a full line of custom buffers for all applications ranging from .17 Remington to .50 Beowulf since 2003.

We specialize in buffers for .308 ARs, including ArmaLite AR10, DPMS LR308, POF, Rock River Arms LAR-8 and Knight's SR25. We also have extensive experience with piston operated ARs, pistol-caliber ARs and Class 3 weapons including Full-Auto, SBRs and suppressed weapons. A full line of buffers for .223 and pistol-caliber AR15s is also available.

FFL dealer, also offering gunsmith services. See Shop Services page for more info.
                      So, you've got me seriously considering this buffer/spring combination for the target build I'm working on. Other than price, are there any potential disadvantages to this setup over say, a Tubbs flatwire spring and a standard rifle buffer?

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

I use the Geissele 42 on my 16" ultralite Grendel with the H1 buffer and it performs flawlessly and is extremely quiet.

I also run a Odin Works Atlas comp so recoil is non-distant. It's like a soft 5.56.

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Besides the holy cow price, you would be adding a buffer that weighs more than twice as much as a std rifle buffer and if your barrels gas port is drilled properly you may certainly find out that it is too much mass for proper operation and then it becomes a relic of overkill. Personally I rather buy some tungsten weights and swap them as I see fit if the need arises. Keeping in mind that a 18" or 20" barrel with a rifle gas system is typically a pretty soft shooting rifle if gassed properly.

I have a couple of rifles with Tubbs flatwire, to me they really don't seem to have extra strong spring weight like a wolf XP, but they do seem to provide a different spring cycle on how they compress and release. One thing that does ignore me about the flat wire style is that they are for me a minor pain in the a$$ to remove from the receiver extension as the flat wire tends to hang up a bit on the buffer detent. The bonus is they do seem to be more quiet in operation than a std round spring.

Comment

• js8588
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                            Besides the holy cow price, you would be adding a buffer that weighs more than twice as much as a std rifle buffer and if your barrels gas port is drilled properly you may certainly find out that it is too much mass for proper operation and then it becomes a relic of overkill. Personally I rather buy some tungsten weights and swap them as I see fit if the need arises. Keeping in mind that a 18" or 20" barrel with a rifle gas system is typically a pretty soft shooting rifle if gassed properly.

I have a couple of rifles with Tubbs flatwire, to me they really don't seem to have extra strong spring weight like a wolf XP, but they do seem to provide a different spring cycle on how they compress and release. One thing that does ignore me about the flat wire style is that they are for me a minor pain in the a$$ to remove from the receiver extension as the flat wire tends to hang up a bit on the buffer detent. The bonus is they do seem to be more quiet in operation than a std round spring.
                            I have a 24 inch bull barrel for this build so the weight to counterbalance that is actually desirable. Am I significantly risking reliability if I pick up the heavy buffer? I'll mostly be shooting Hornady/AA factory ammo but might run a few boxes of the Wolf stuff just for fun.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Heavy buffers are meant to counter bolt carrier bounce for full auto guns based on barrel mass, but can be used as rate reducers for guns that are gassed way too hard.

There are very few instances with 6.5 Grendel where you need an extremely heavy buffer.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• js8588
                                Warrior
                                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                                Heavy buffers are meant to counter bolt carrier bounce for full auto guns based on barrel mass, but can be used as rate reducers for guns that are gassed way too hard.

There are very few instances with 6.5 Grendel where you need an extremely heavy buffer.
                                As I've gathered you're pretty much the Patron Saint/Godfather of 6.5 Grendel wisdom around here, Tubbs Flatwire and standard rifle buffer it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X