• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Nightvision and A2 birdcage vs thread protector

Finally got my AA 16" fluted light weight barrel in today. Building a dedicated Nightvision upper, using an Armasight Nemesis..

For those of you who hunt with N/V, do you notice a difference when shooting at night using an A2 or thread protector?

Wasn't sure if you gain faster recovery time when using either one, or if there was an unstated standard for something like this?

I have both A2 & thread protector, so I can always play with this but thought I'd ask and get a consensus before I finished the build.
    Last edited by Jakal; 06-20-2017, 11:42 PM.
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Okay, a variety of flash hiders will help reduce the issue of flash, which will be an issue when using night vision. Particularly with a short barrel, you may still get some noticeable flash, but it will be extremely brief and I would not worry about it being a significant problem. Without a flash hider, it will be much more noticeable and last much longer and may be a problem.

Both will pale in comparison to if you are using a weapon mounted IR illuminator to help supplement your NV's capabilities. On a calm/still night, the smoke particulates from discharging your gun will hang in the air in front of you and your IR light will be reflected off the particulates right back at you, a condition we call "white out" because that it what it is. It may be anywhere from a quarter second to 3 or 4 seconds. If there is a breeze, you may not even see any reflection at all. No breeze, and particularly if it is very humid, the stuff can hang in the air for a while. This will give you much more hassle and the quick muzzle flash itself.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Schrambo
      Warrior
      • Oct 2016

^^ this...

Comment

• Jakal
        Warrior
        • May 2014

Yeah I run an illuminator when ambient light is low. I'll put the A2 on it starting out and see how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

If you are building a dedicated NV upper, start your paperwork and order for a suppressor while you're at it.

Get a TBAC Ultra 5 or Ultra 7, or a SilencerCo Harvester.

The Ultra 5 feels like there isn't even a suppressor on the end, since it's all Titanium construction.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

That sounds like a capital idea!!!!
            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Jakal
              Warrior
              • May 2014

I was hoping the Trump boys would get suppressors to the point no paperwork is needed. I would go for one then. I think tax stamps are BS for a muffler!

Comment

Working...
              X