• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goochylogic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

Matrix Handguards

Does anyone have experience with the Matrix M-lock handguard?
  • 85_Ranger4x4
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Mine looks really nice, I have neither built the rifle yet or have any MLOCK accessories for it though.

Comment

• Goochylogic
      Warrior
      • Sep 2016

Thanks for the reply back. I think I will give one a try for the money.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
        Warrior
        • Aug 2015

I don't think you can beat them for the money. I'm not crazy about M-Lok and I'm not sure if it's the thickness of the rail or just the fact that M-Lok kind of sucks, but I had to do some dremeling to get an M-Lok QD sling attachment on. If you don't plan on mounting much using the M-Lok then this is a non-issue. The finish on it is very dull, almost gray, which was nice for me since I rattle canned it and it soaked up the paint quite well. You'll need a crow's foot (I think 1-5/8" but you should confirm) to fit the flats of the nut, or a very large crescent wrench will do. I used a 15" matrix rail on an 18" heavy barreled .223 build and have shot it in a 3-gun match and a few light range days with zero issues. It's a very narrow rail and it cleared my low pro gas block fine, but I had to mount my bipod stud a little further back because there wasn't enough clearance for it right under the gas block.

Pics here: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-A-Killer-Pair

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
          I don't think you can beat them for the money. I'm not crazy about M-Lok and I'm not sure if it's the thickness of the rail or just the fact that M-Lok kind of sucks, but I had to do some dremeling to get an M-Lok QD sling attachment on. If you don't plan on mounting much using the M-Lok then this is a non-issue. The finish on it is very dull, almost gray, which was nice for me since I rattle canned it and it soaked up the paint quite well. You'll need a crow's foot (I think 1-5/8" but you should confirm) to fit the flats of the nut, or a very large crescent wrench will do. I used a 15" matrix rail on an 18" heavy barreled .223 build and have shot it in a 3-gun match and a few light range days with zero issues. It's a very narrow rail and it cleared my low pro gas block fine, but I had to mount my bipod stud a little further back because there wasn't enough clearance for it right under the gas block.

Pics here: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-A-Killer-Pair
          I am not figuring on mounting a bunch of stuff on mine aside from a bipod but thought it looked better than keymod.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
            Warrior
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
            I am not figuring on mounting a bunch of stuff on mine aside from a bipod but thought it looked better than keymod.
            I may have gotten M-Lok and keymod confused - take a look at my picture and you'll see which one I have. I thought the Matrix was only offered in one of the two.

Comment

• Goochylogic
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

I dont have enough experience with either the keymod or the m-lok. I have been using the YHM Todd Jarret hand guards which I really like, but the are a little heavy on the $. A few of the guns that Ive put hands on the m-lok seemed more comfortable. Not as many pointed edges. But that was not on a Matrix brand. The only mounted accessories may be a small rail for a bipod. But in their keymod I do like their victor cut end. If keymod is a better choice please speak up, im all ears.

Comment

• 41bear
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

I have two, one a 9 inch on a 300 pistol and a 13 inch on a Grendel rifle. Be advised that only a low profile gas block will fit and if you want to use an Adj. the only one that I know will fit is a JBO low profile Adj.

I have no qualms about either but only learned after buying an Odin Works block ... which doesn't fit.

Got both from Chandler Hardwood, great prices but shipping is a little high.
                Last edited by 41bear; 06-23-2017, 09:12 AM.
                "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Goochylogic View Post
                  I dont have enough experience with either the keymod or the m-lok. I have been using the YHM Todd Jarret hand guards which I really like, but the are a little heavy on the $. A few of the guns that Ive put hands on the m-lok seemed more comfortable. Not as many pointed edges. But that was not on a Matrix brand. The only mounted accessories may be a small rail for a bipod. But in their keymod I do like their victor cut end. If keymod is a better choice please speak up, im all ears.
                  I would just take a look at what is in the market for the accessories you want to mount using M-Lok vs Keymod and go from there. I used IWC bipod stud which is nice and low profile and I don't recall the brand of the QD sling cup. The IWC bipod stud took a little work to get right but once mounted, seems to work great and I like how there is no unnecessary material added to my rifle. Wish I could've mounted it a little further forward but that's no big deal (refer to my first post).

Comment

• Goochylogic
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2016

I ordered a 15" Foxtrot from Chandler Hardwoods last night. $39 plus around $12 for shipping. Thanks for all the comments. I will give my opinion of this handguard when it gets installed.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
                      I may have gotten M-Lok and keymod confused - take a look at my picture and you'll see which one I have. I thought the Matrix was only offered in one of the two.
                      I think you were right but I think they are adding more M-Lok.

When I ordered mine they only had a 13" Foxtrot in M-Lok and it was only on Chandler's website, they didn't even have it on Matrix's site.

Comment

• Goochylogic
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2016

I mounted my 15" foxtrot handguard today. It installed without any issues. Nice small compact diameter and added no extra weight. The three allen head screws appear to be very snug on the barrel nut.

Comment

Working...
                        X