• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpswihart
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

SBR Flash / Blast

I completed my first Grendel several months ago and really enjoy it. I spend lots of time in the evenings scoping out online info and learning from the experiences of others. I'm considering an SBR in the 12" bbl range and am just beginning to think about the build. I'm in SE Alaska and will likely hunt Sitka Blacktails with the build and will use it for hiking and casual range use as well. May even shoot a halibut or two. I see lots of opinions on muzzle devices, but wondered how much of a concern muzzle blast will be and if there are any recommendations for mitigation. I'm not interested in a can, hoping to keep things as light and handy as possible and don't want the added length. Thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated.
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

Very interested in this discussion.

To the top.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Grendel SBR is pretty loud, imo. I have a suppressor for it.

Might want to consider a Noveske KX5 as muzzle flash hider. Weighs approx 4.5 oz and should direct more of the blast forward.

I've never used one and have only seen effects on YouTube videos. Maybe someone with experience on Grendel SBR or pistol can weigh in?

Of course, you could just suck up the ear damage or wear ear plugs...
      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• ccasanova
        Warrior
        • Mar 2016

My 14.5" 223/556 is Loud without ear pro. My 11" Grendel is Really Loud without ear pro. They are both very tolerable with my Omega suppressor without ear pro. I'll probably get a 5" TBAC Ultra to leave on the Grendel permanently. I just got into suppressors recently and 1 turned into 3 real fast.

Comment

• bigdaddyflo
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2016

Claymore

claymore.jpg
          In the past I used Claymores on my 10-1/2" 300 blackout SBR and with my 10-1/2" 5.56 SBR in hopes of directing the noise/blast downrange - or at least that was kind of the selling point of them. They were both still pretty loud to me when I was shooting them with the claymores on. They probably did reduce the original noise level by a few decibels (at the shooters ear), but you weren't going to shoot much without hearing protection - and I mean just a few! The majority of my rifles I shoot suppressed!

Comment

• kpswihart
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the info so far.

Comment

• Motorhead
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2016

I'm assuming you want an sbr in 6.5. I don't have one so I can't say specifically but that's quite a bit of powder to burn in a short span. You would probably end up with quite the flash and very loud. My 6.5 is a 24 inch so the sound isn't bad but my 11.5 inch 556 is pretty loud. I did just finish a 8.5 inch in 300 blackout which has full powder burn in the barrel and isn't too loud with subsonics. Just my opinion but I think an sbr 6.5 isn't an efficient use of the cartridge. But then again I own dumber and less efficient guns just because I wanted too. Either way at least you get to have another gun.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Motorhead, it's not about efficiency. The idea here for me is to reduce the overall length of the rifle if I ever decide to suppress it. Until that time if there is a way to reduce the blast im interested even though I never fire anything without hearing protection (even hunting) I'm totally deaf in my right ear so I take care of the only one I have.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2015

I had a bad experience with my first suppressor, a Specwar762... the thing is super heavy and 9" long so I had the same impression that you apparently do. You might want to reconsider ruling out a suppressor. Check this thing out - https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/6.5-ultra-5

Material
                  Titanium

Length 5 inches
                  Diameter
                  1.5 inches

7.6 ounces (CB mount)
                  9.4 ounces (direct thread)

And it's not like it's permanent... use it when you feel like having the benefit of suppression and take it off and you'll have one of their mounts (doubles as FH or brake) or a thread protector when not in use. My experience with the Silencerco brakes and FH adapters is that they work just as well as any other over the counter device and I would expect TB's mounts to be just as good. Definitely go with FH if you want to reduce blast when using without the can.

Edit - just noticed this: "* SBR use in these calibers, CB brake mount or Direct Thread recommended."
                  Last edited by Chrazy-Chris; 06-23-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Kilco
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2016

Only info I have on this topic is regarding my old LR-308 with a 16" barrel and brake was the loudest gun I've owned. Even with ear pro it was obnoxious.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

I have a Kaw Valley Linear Comp on my 16" 300 BLK. Although flash isn't much of an issue with a 16" 300 BLK, it sends a lot of the noise down range. Not too long and very light. JoeBob has 'em for under $50

You could probably look at the Kak flash cans too
                      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• kpswihart
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2016

The Kaw Valley is interesting. Looks a little shorter than the Noveske.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

image.jpeg
                          Originally posted by kpswihart View Post
                          The Kaw Valley is interesting. Looks a little shorter than the Noveske.
                          Thats what it looks like on a 16"
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Greg_R
                            Unwashed
                            • Jun 2017

I built a 7.5 inch 223 Wylde. Is it loud? You bet! Even with a linear compensator on it.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

The problem is that no matter how you configure a muzzle device, even with linear comps, you are going to have unmitigated concussion less than 2feet away from your face, ears, and head.

That overpressure event on the atmosphere around your head is going to sting your eyes, nose, face, ears, and mastoid bones.

A 5" TBAC Titanium can is really your best answer. They don't add a ton of length of weight to the gun at all, and are barely noticeable even on a 20".
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X