• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redraider
    Warrior
    • May 2012

Hand Guard

Hi Guys,

It seems I will have to go from a 12" guard to a 15". I know NOTHING about hand guards other than they range in price from $50 to $500. I am sure I don't need the latter, but I would like to hear the pros and cons of what is important in a hand guard purchase. Remember, I know NOTHING, so keep it simple please.

Thanks

Redraider
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

The long hand guard with short barrels are very popular now. The trend is to grasp the hand guard with your support hand close to the end of the muzzle keeping your support arm straight and rigid. I've never adapted to this form of shooting which has been popularized by the three gun shooters. The proponents claim you can drive the gun and achieve good speed going from target to target with accuracy.

The real concerns with the long hand guard is having a gas block which will fit inside the hand guard. Without knowing the length and diameter of the barrel your using it makes it difficult to pick a hand guard that will fit. Many barrels use .750 diameter barrel and gas block, some are larger and some are smaller diameter.

Another disadvantage to using a 15" hand guard on a 16" barrel is the added weight. As long as the gas block fits inside the hand guard the length of gas system (pistol, carbine, midlength, intermediate or rifle) doesn't matter as long as the muzzle and muzzle device extend past the hand guard.

Comment

• drewthebrave
      Warrior
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
      Hi Guys,

It seems I will have to go from a 12" guard to a 15". I know NOTHING about hand guards other than they range in price from $50 to $500. I am sure I don't need the latter, but I would like to hear the pros and cons of what is important in a hand guard purchase. Remember, I know NOTHING, so keep it simple please.

Thanks

Redraider
      Why do you have to go from a 12" to 15"? If you can explain your reasoning, we might be able to give you better advice. So much of choosing a handguard comes down to personal preference, so if you can let us know why you want to make the switch, hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

Comment

• Redraider
        Warrior
        • May 2012

I picked up a 20" barrel that should be much better than my 16" Liberty barrel, and the new barrel has a rifle length gas system. The gas block dimension is .750, and my new SLR adjustable gas block is 1.44" tall. My current 12" hand guard leaves the gas block outside the hand guard( and maybe some of the gas tube????????), and it just seems logical to extend the hand guard. I know I will need a rifle length gas tube, but I am just too ignorant of the things I should look for in a new hand guard, and that is what I am asking here.

Thanks

Redraider

Comment

• 82HALO
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

Odin works has a new light handguard 17.5" that just became available. I'm getting one for my 22" barrel! Would get it for my other 20" barrels but already have nice ones on that I don't want to replace!

Comment

• Commander184
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2016

Seekins makes a great hand guard for $150. Solid and it doesn't move, I wish I could have one but my barrel is too large

Comment

• drewthebrave
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

Ain't nothing wrong with a little exposed gas block!
              (not my rifle)
              Mk12Mod2.jpg

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

If it fits like Drew's above or like mine, not a problem. Might as well wait and see

gas block placement.jpg
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

Like they said, you don't have to hide the gas block but if you want to that's your choice. To answer your original question, it's been my experience that your paying for 2 things in a hand guard. The name brand and the weight. If you don't care about either then you can pick up a very reasonably priced one and it will work the same.

Comment

• Cashflow
                    Unwashed
                    • Nov 2016

I love the Diamondhead hand guard on my grendel. It just feels great. Good luck with whatever you pick.

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

I'm a big fan of the Midwest Industries handguards. I run the Gen 2 SS on both my 5.56 and Grendel upper. They clear the Odin Works tunable gas block just enough to avoid contact.
                      Last edited by Kilco; 06-22-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

I bought this carbon fiber handguard on ebay for $79 to go with my 16" BCA barrel and side charging receiver. I wanted carbon fiber for cold weather hunting. Holding a piece of aluminum in cold weather was not something I wanted to do, gloves or not. It is not slimline but should clear any gasblock. I can not deform it by squeezing by hand. I am impressed with the strength of carbon fiber. I would buy it again.
                        IMG_20170426_135620 (Medium).jpg
                        One factor about a long handguard not mentioned is the further forward the front support is, the smaller is the movement of the sights on the target with a movement of the buttstock, left, right or up and down. This can contribute to better precision.
                        Last edited by bj139; 06-22-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• diddlyv
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2016

I put a Rousch Sports $69 15 inch handguard on my 20 inch Odin Works Barrel, it covers the gas block on the rifle length gas system on that barrel.
                          Queen of Battle
                          Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

Working...
                          X