• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CJ7nvrstk
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

Dope sheet questions

New to the long range game. I've always done the "well I guess I'll move it X # of clicks..." But actually with my first outing yesterday with my 6.5 I payed attention to the MOA markings on the scope and adjusted accordingly. I know there's much more to it than that.

Was wondering what y'all use to record variables and accuracy on your range outings. Not planning on getting into reloading at this point but that may change with ammo being $20 a box, but that's for another thread I guess.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
    New to the long range game. I've always done the "well I guess I'll move it X # of clicks..." But actually with my first outing yesterday with my 6.5 I payed attention to the MOA markings on the scope and adjusted accordingly. I know there's much more to it than that.

Was wondering what y'all use to record variables and accuracy on your range outings. Not planning on getting into reloading at this point but that may change with ammo being $20 a box, but that's for another thread I guess.

CJ:

Given you are new to the long range stuff, let me advise you to figure out the three most important things for you based on your experience and knowledge and record the data on those three things.

I am pretty sure your data will be distance, sight settings, and performance.

As you progress and learn more, you will add to that list. And after a few years of anally recording every bit of nonsense you thought had meaning, you will realize a few things.

The first will be that after recording all of those details, you never referred to them again. But you did look at distance, sight settings, and performance quite often.

The second will be that none of those details had anything to do with your good or poor performance except for strong and gusty winds.

Find a load that you thing shoots well then focus your attention on your marksmanship. As you get better, you will start doping winds. So winds will be the forth detail you will start recording.

That will be about it.

LR55

Comment

• SG4247
      Warrior
      • Aug 2013

Try plotting the factory ammo you shoot in your rifle using many of the online trajectory calculators.

I use this one on the Hornady page, it is simple - yet very accurate.

If your input data is good, the software will give you the option to create a printable dope sheet you can take out to the field with you.

Then you can test your actual scope clicks against the predicted values. The actual values to be on target will change from day to day, and sometimes by the hour.

This is a great learning exercise, and you may find out your scope might not do exactly what it should.
      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

I hope to be going through this myself next weekend in Raton NM for the Sporting Rifle Match. Still waiting on my PF Upper (coming up on 6 months).

I've been doing a lot of research on long range shooting and all the factors that come into play when shooting long distance. I have been practicing by ranging targets and calcing the elevation and windage based on est MV, current temps, wind, baro, and altitude. If that upper shows up, I'll have the sight in time the afternoon before the match to get MV, and zero my scope.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• maxxmojo
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2016

I use JBM (trajectory section) to plot out my drops after I've gotten some good chronograph readings. Then I'll print out the pages and actually test them out at the range. 100 - 500 yards is usually pretty easy to confirm, but past that I've found the wind can start moving the bullet a bit, though not nearly as much as any of the .30 cal stuff I've shot.

Lately I've been observing how temperature affects the trajectories. Comparing results in colder temps a few months ago to my latest results at 100 degrees was an eye opener, for long range stuff anyways.

Comment

Working...
          X