• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cst
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Loctite 620 bedding

Im about to do a new build and people have been talking about 620 as a more appropriate bedding medium for the barrel extension than blue. I've done it in blue and red and with a little heat and a wooden dowel rod the barrel can be removed....

Is servicing a receiver with 620 any more difficult?..its a lot thicker and easier to work with.....
  • mtptwo
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2017

What does locktite have over the standard epoxies that are normally used?

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Thread locker should melt with heat.

The epoxy products I am familiar with don't.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

If I were to use an epoxy like devcon I would be sure to use a release agent on the receiver prior to installation of the barrel or you may never get that barrel out if the need ever arise and the barrel needed to be pulled.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I use Blue Loc-tite on barrel extensions.

They pop right out with a light tap of a hammer on the Delrin receiver insert T handle that comes with the clamshells, never have used heat to remove them. It almost feels like a standard barrel removal.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• codokrat
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2017

I just finished my first build using aeroshell grease on the barrel extension and I used rocksett anywhere I needed a thread locker

Comment

• jurassic
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

At Henkel, innovative thinking and entrepreneurial spirit are in our DNA. We are curious and passionate experts with deep market and application knowledge. Our unrivaled portfolio of adhesives, sealants and functional coatings are designed to transform markets and the way you work. We’re your global partner prepared to handle any challenge and develop a solution that is smart and sustainable — together with you. For the better.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                Warrior
                • Nov 2016

I would not use sleeve retainer for bedding...

Comment

• ricsmall
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                  I would not use sleeve retainer for bedding...
                  Out of curiosity, why not. It seems to me to fill large spaces better, tho if the clearance on the upper is that much something is amiss.

Richard
                  Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• jurassic
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                      Out of curiosity, why not. It seems to me to fill large spaces better, tho if the clearance on the upper is that much something is amiss.

Richard
                      It is really freaking aggressive.

We were just taking a planetary (John Deere 7800 tractor final drive) apart yesterday that used that at the factory to hold the bolts in that holds the planet gears in. Took one guy to stabilize the assembly, another one to keep it from turning with a bar and another guy with a breaker bar and a hunk of pipe to slowly turn them out enough for stoutest the impact in the shop to touch them. Everyone was holding their breath we didn't snap a 10.9 16mm cap screw in the process, the feel of them dragging themselves thru the locktite was identical to a screw twisting off.

When people say blue works, blue will work for me. Green is kind of the bane of mechanics...
                      Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 06-27-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Lastrites
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

This makes me wonder exactly what type of locktite Midwest Industries includes with some of their rails, which is green in color and in an unmarked tube.

Comment

• ricsmall
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                          It is really freaking aggressive.

We were just taking a planetary (John Deere 7800 tractor final drive) apart yesterday that used that at the factory to hold the bolts in that holds the planet gears in. Took one guy to stabilize the assembly, another one to keep it from turning with a bar and another guy with a breaker bar and a hunk of pipe to slowly turn them out enough for stoutest the impact in the shop to touch them. Everyone was holding their breath we didn't snap a 10.9 16mm cap screw in the process, the feel of them dragging themselves thru the locktite was identical to a screw twisting off.

When people say blue works, blue will work for me. Green is kind of the bane of mechanics...
                          Ahh, I see! Yeah the green is not meant to be used on threads. Machined surfaces that have a little 'slop' is the intended use. I've used many times on John Deere harrow wheel hub bearing race seats when a replacement was a few days out and I needed now. Never on threads. Disassembly is easy in that situation, or on an AR upper.

Richard
                          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                            Ahh, I see! Yeah the green is not meant to be used on threads. Machined surfaces that have a little 'slop' is the intended use. I've used many times on John Deere harrow wheel hub bearing race seats when a replacement was a few days out and I needed now. Never on threads. Disassembly is easy in that situation, or on an AR upper.

Richard
                            And that is kind what it is generally used as in my world too. A last ditch effort to keep something going when something happened and your press fit is gone.

But for bedding an AR receiver it only has to fill very minimal voids and is not used to hold anything together. I have never had an AR barrel that wobbled in the upper as much as a normal nut on a bolt so I don't see the filling large void thing being much of anything.

Comment

• cst
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2014

Since no one could give me a definitive answer on how hard loctite 620 is to use...i decided to try it myself on a old receiver and barrel I had laying around.
                              1.it says the working time is about 30mins....i say more like 5mins before the barrel can't be removed....and this set up had a lot of play in it.
                              2. 620 is definitely a lot easier to work with than red or blue.
                              3. I let it set with the barrel nut torqued to 40ft/lbs for 24 hours and attempted to take it apart
                              4. I put the receiver between to wood blocks on the vice and used a 1" oak dowel rod and hammered away without heat...took about 5 or 6 swift hits and it started to come out.

Observations: definitely stronger than when i used blue loctite in the past..however..the green came out in flakes and peeled off relatively easier than the blue which i had to scrape off the barrel and receiver....should have tried to melt the blue ...

Anyway..i will be using green 620 for all builds that have a looser fit from now...

Comment

Working...
                              X