• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goochylogic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

Odin works 20" barrel

I finally settled on buying an Odin 20" barrel kit. First off all the parts seem to
    be made very well. Secondly this barrel is a shooter. Shot it today to break in the barrel. The Hornady Black ammo is its favorite. One ragged hole at 100 yrds. It hates the Hornady sst. 3-4" groups at 100yrds. Glad I went with this barrel. Anyone else have problems with the sst ammo? And what are the opinions of the black ammo for deer hunting?
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Do you plan on trying Wolf steel?

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Double naught spy, A very active hog hunter was considering trying out the 123 eld-m used in the black ammo for some hog hunts to give us some terminal feedback.

I have been very very impressed with the Odin Works kits so far. I use the 16" ultralight personally, and I've sold a couple 20c and a boat load of 18" to some very happy customers. Also Odin Works customer support has been very good.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Goochylogic View Post
        I finally settled on buying an Odin 20" barrel kit. First off all the parts seem to
        be made very well. Secondly this barrel is a shooter. Shot it today to break in the barrel. The Hornady Black ammo is its favorite. One ragged hole at 100 yrds. It hates the Hornady sst. 3-4" groups at 100yrds. Glad I went with this barrel. Anyone else have problems with the sst ammo? And what are the opinions of the black ammo for deer hunting?
        Something is off if you're seeing that.

I've shot composite groups of different ammo and even different bullet weights, 10rd groups, at 200yds that are way smaller than 3". They were consistently around 2". This included 123gr SST and 120gr Scenar-L factory loads through my Lilja 318 barrel with SAAMI chamber.

Even with a variant chamber, you shouldn't be getting 3" groups at 100yds.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

I agree something seems off with the SST. My 16" ultralight and the other 20"s I tested all shot the 123 SST ammo very well.. Was something different when you shot those groups?
          Last edited by Kilco; 06-24-2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• Goochylogic
            Warrior
            • Sep 2016

I wish I had an answer for the difference in the groupings. I personally like the sst ammo. I also
            shoot a 6.8 that drops deer in their tracks with the 120sst. I shot the grendel sst first, looked like I shot the target with buck shot. Then tight ragged groups with the Black ammo. I did this twice with the same results with each ammo. I sure hope the Black ammo proves to be a hunting bullet.

Comment

• Goochylogic
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
              Do you plan on trying Wolf steel?
              Im not sure if I will shoot the Wolf ammo or not. I hear its dirty and hard on the barrel. But I do like the price of it.

Comment

• Mossyoakman3006
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2017

Took mine out for the first time last weekend, let me first say I am not at all happy with Odin works their machining and customer service is terrible. Anyway I won't get on that soapbox right now, at first I got it zeroed and started shooting groups and the accuracy wasn't very good 2.5" to 3". I was shooting hornady black factory and I had some 100 nosler bt that I loaded up with some h335. However I went to 200 meters and then it started tightening up ended the day with the last 8 rounds landing in about 1.5" with the black ammo never could get the 100gr round to group all that well maybe 3" at 200m. It might not like that bullet powder combo but it's what I had on hand to load so I'm not gonna put to much stock in that. Didn't get a chance to go back to the 100 yard to see if the blacks would group there. In fairness I didn't and have never done a "proper" break on my ar builds it never been an issue before but this is my first 6.5 grendel so maybe that's all it needed. Got some 123 noslers and 123 sst's and a few different powders so I'm thinking woth a little work it should be a shooter we will see.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
                  Took mine out for the first time last weekend, let me first say I am not at all happy with Odin works their machining and customer service is terrible. Anyway I won't get on that soapbox right now, at first I got it zeroed and started shooting groups and the accuracy wasn't very good 2.5" to 3". I was shooting hornady black factory and I had some 100 nosler bt that I loaded up with some h335. However I went to 200 meters and then it started tightening up ended the day with the last 8 rounds landing in about 1.5" with the black ammo never could get the 100gr round to group all that well maybe 3" at 200m. It might not like that bullet powder combo but it's what I had on hand to load so I'm not gonna put to much stock in that. Didn't get a chance to go back to the 100 yard to see if the blacks would group there. In fairness I didn't and have never done a "proper" break on my ar builds it never been an issue before but this is my first 6.5 grendel so maybe that's all it needed. Got some 123 noslers and 123 sst's and a few different powders so I'm thinking woth a little work it should be a shooter we will see.
                  Wow... first report I've heard like this.. I've sold a few, and run one myself and they were all 1 moa or less guns with just about every brass cases ammo we have tried.

They come with a 1 moa guarantee, and a quality guarantee as well, and when we had one 18" come with a gas block off-center, they paid shipping both ways and offered to either fix it or give us a new barrel. With there 18" dmr wylde barrels we send one back that wouldn't group and they sent us another one pronto with no fuss. Have you contacted Odin?

None of ours had any special break in. Just shot and cleaned regularly.

Also if it's shooting factory hornady that bad I wouldn't waste time loading and wasting components, I'd send it back and have them look at it. I know the waiting sucks, but that barrel, if it's been installed correctly and your doing your part at the range should be 1 moa or less with either Hornady black or SST. Preferably both. Tell us more about your set-up.

I also noticed you had another post on another forum about a previous 20" Odin barrel that was threaded incorrectly? Like a month ago? So this is your second 20" Odin barrel in assuming? Odd stuff... You have had two issues with two barrels in a row I've not seen anywhere else..
                  Last edited by Kilco; 06-28-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Mossyoakman3006
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2017

It started doing better the more I shot it still got a couple of boxes of hornady ammo and I cleaned the bore gonna try it again with the factory stuff, before I load up a bunch for it. The barrel is defiantly installed correctly torqued with a wrench squared the receiver face all that good stuff. This is my second barrel from them the first one they sent me wasn't crowned, they did take care of that, had an issue with the gas block that they where less than helpful with. Then the second barrel the thread relief was tapered so I could not time or even thread my muzzle brake sent it back gave me a hell of a time with the shipping or even admitting that it was wrong. Sent it back to me and it was still wrong and all they told me was to return it to the dealer I got it from. They told me they accuracy tested it last time they had it and they where getting 0.6" groups wether that's true or not I have no way of knowing. I suppose I could try to return it but I've already shot it and I no longer have the original gas block that came with it so I'm sure they are gonna be less than helpful with that . I also had the thread relief corrected so I'm out for that as well, granted that wasn't much.

Comment

Working...
                    X