• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jpistolero02 View Post
    I swapped out my gas block for a SLR Sentry 7 and hit the range this morning. I thought I had a good load ready to go, but it didn't shoot worth a darn. I am not sure if the Sentry 7 changed the harmonics or what, but I will have to hit the drawing board. I did shoot some of the ammo that came in my LaRue goody box and it was on the money with those loads. The rifle shoots much more pleasant now that I can tune the gas block. When shooting suppressed last weekend my rounds were ejecting all over the place. This morning they were being thrown in a neat little pile at my 4.

I gave up on my SST load after I saw it wasn't grouping and decided to fire them as fast as I could and still be accurate. I believe I fired 15-20 rounds in this one group. I lost track when I stopped to reload. You can see it groups ok, but it was nothing like the McCourt ammo or Hornady Black.

Still well under min of deer no matter how you break it down. For SSTs I'd be very happy with that.

KS looking good man!! Range report!!

Comment

• Mrvmax17
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2017

I got in my 6.5 upper kit from Larue (for some reason they are shipping the lower separate), I guess they finally got some buffers and boxes in (see my previous post for that story). So I had planned on assembling the upper tonight and putting it on my RRA lower and working on some loads this weekend. I got it all together and the muzzle brake would not thread on. After looking at it for a minute I realized the brake was too big for the threads and then it hit me, the barrel must be the wrong caliber. So I had to pull off the hand guard to look at the barrel for the caliber. Sure enough, it was a 5.56 barrel. I looked at my order and it does state 6.5 Grendel. Now I have to clean loctite off all the threads and wait for the goofballs at Larue to send me the right barrel. I learned the hard way that I should have checked before assembling. Maybe now I can get them to ship out my lower and add the correct barrel to the package.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

I go to shoot at the indoor range tomorrow, because I don't know if I can go out Saturday at all. And the indoor range is still 100 yards, so even if it's not longer range, I can test the speed lever a little. Will report back with results, and forensic data logs.
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Crews
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2017

I got my Larue lower in last week. Got everything assembled, hung the suppressor, and mounted the LRTSi. Hit the range with a few boxes of Federal Gold Medal Berger (130 hybrid) and Hornady Black ELD-M factory ammo. Round count is right at 100. So far, it's doing okay. I'm perfectly capable of shooting 1/2MOA with a bolt acton, but I guess there's always a chance I'm just not as proficient with a gas gun yet. I really like the rifle as a whole, and the fact that it's made in my home state of Texas.

IMG_3493.JPGLarue Benchtop.jpgLarue Hornady Black 123.jpg

Comment

• Joseph5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2012

Shooting a gas gun for precision requires a firmer hold on the rifle. There is a lot of good info on the net about how to get the most out of your rifle.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

RR/First impressions

I love my new rifle. There were ups and downs, but once everything was situated, viola!, she runs fellas, she runs.

First of all, let me describe the facilities. A tunnel, five lanes wide, at which there are lights on the ceiling at 50, then at 100. If they aren't out. If someone hasn't tried to exceed their capabilities and shot out a light, "accidentally". There used to be cameras at 100 that fed target image back to the firing line of each lane... that too has gone away. The target cradle carries it's paper to 25, 50, and 100 accurately, albeit at about a 20degree left cant by the time it gets down there. This means I had to hang a tall target, and staple my 11" wide Larue target with a MOA high right corner. At 100, it was "sorta" level. The "bench" you shoot from is at an extremely awkward height, just above the belly button; and they provide height-adjustable chairs. They are on wheels... Stable positions, if to be had at all - are had without the chair; and at this awkward angle. The window is on your right shoulder, and it too places the firearm at a slightly uncomfortable angle to shoot. This range is definitely not for long term, comfortable position-building or use. Sight in your rifle, and leave. Make minute adjustments elsewhere. I rented my lane for an hour, and used every bit of my time to get 57 rounds down range.

Next, my equipment. Larue Grendel and trimmings. LRRPF52 has already covered far better than I could the details about this rifle. I would add only that holding one is the only real way to understand how great this rifle is. Holding one that is your own - well, that can't be described in words. Bushnell Elite 6500, 4.5-30x50 Mildot reticle-SFP. Hornady ELD-M 123 which will be my general purpose round of choice for now, and Federal 120 OTM for comparison. I am setting my zero at 200 yards, which should mean just over a two inch high group at 100 if I can do my math right.

7 rounds was my sight in. First shot at 50 was 3.75 inches down, and 6ish inches right of the POA. I came off the gun, and sat for a second and actually tried to re-live the first round... Cliche? No sir. It was for posterity. And it was good. So good, I leaned back down without changing anything at all to re-do it. Here is where it started to make me sweat, and the giddiness began to seep out. The second round was TOUCHING the first. Not close, not maybe, not accidental. TOUCHING. And that was all she wrote. I was so excited at this point, that I could have packed up, and been completely satisfied. I shot the first two rounds of my new gun and they touched each other. As if providence had opened the Heavens, shined light from above my target, and God's hand itself guided the second round to impact. It was that easy. The scope hadn't moved. The FATwrench did it's job, the LT104 held the big heavy glass, and the rifle spit two rounds at the exact same azimuth - twice.

But, alas I had to prove to myself I knew how to operate a firearm at appropriate distance. I moved 6 MOA left. Fired. Bullet same elevation, but EXACTLY 3 inches left. Oh yes, I forgot to double the adjustment since it was half the distance. I am so excited at this point that math evades me, and I move the scope another 8MOA left, cause the impact needs to move another bit to the left. Fired. Bullet hole EXACTLY 4 inches left. But, that was just under an inch too far left. So, now, I know the scope moves laterally perfecty, I move the scope one MOA right, and three MOA (I thought) up. Fired, and was flabergasted, there was no new hole. Hmmmmm, bring target in. OH... well, there was a nice half moon in the bottom edge of the target, EXACTLY three inches down and one inch right from the last POI. OK - I moved the scope down not up, but I'll be damned if the horizontal movement wasn't almost perfect. So, I moved the scope up 7 MOA, and left one single click. Fired, and now POI is one inch low at 50. I run the target out to 100, fire, and BAM! one inch high. Almost perfect, up one MOA and <bang>, done. Seven rounds, and three minutes and for the first time in my life, a rifle setup zeroed like I read about in the books. I'm about to lose it - in a good way.

Now, the Larue targets they so generously provided with my rifle came out, and got stapled to the target with a left-ward lean to correct for the right theta at the end of the range from the track twisting as it meandered the 100 yards to the line. Sent my first target down, loaded 5 rounds of ELD, and took a breath (about 3-4 minutes) to allow things to settle back down inside. I wanted this group to really tell me what I and the rifle together were capable of. Well, this group and the next were the best two 5 round groups I've ever shot. This needs proving! Next target on, and on it's way down the track.

IMG_6465 (Custom).JPG

I know, those aren't the 1/2 inch groups I've been seeing all over the forum! I agree, but I could have stopped at 3 rounds too. I wanted to see what I could do, and 5 rounds say so much more than 3. And 10 so much more than 5. Oh, this LT 104 is QD... hmmm wonder what happens if I remove it, and then re-attach it?

IMG_6466 (Custom).JPG

The right group was the second fired now, and I held one MIL dot down on the reticle and fired all 10. And at this point I'm about to pee my pants. I can repeat the groups with 10 rounds each, and I know my 100 hold is a dot down. All this considering that my position is getting really unfomfortable, and I now have to start watching the clock on my hour. I'm at about 40 minutes... God forbid I go over... Oh hell... I went and bought another hour. Good investment. Because now I'm curious how my Larue likes the Federal.

IMG_6467 (Custom).JPG

Turns out, she likes it. And now, I am actually dribbling a little. Spittle! C'mon fellas, lets keep it clean... I was kinda dissapointed here. I was hoping this ELD-M would group like this. Hmmm... is it me? New target, one more group, this time the remaining 10 rounds of the Federal, and then I'll swab the barrel, let it cool, and do one more group of 10 of the black.

IMG_6468 (Custom).JPG

There was one of the 120 I'm going to say was me, but I can't believe it. I know I was holding the same POA, but got a flyer anyway. Must have been me.

The only ripcord I could find in the shop front (of course I left my .264 at home...) was a .270/6.8. It almost - almost made me worry when I got the ripcord started into the bore and it became hard to pull it through. I managed. Three swabs with some BT Eliminator on the first 1/3 and back to the BLACK, with results as you see.

Overall, I would say that I am one happy camper. My rifle felt like it was made to shoot; smooth, quick, balanced, easily benched, carried, cleared. I had one FTE, an empty wound up rammed between the bolt face upward into the CH, which meant I had to clear the round by using my finger to compress the bolt backward to allow the empty to then fall down out of the mag-well. I took a few pics of that and can post if there is interest, but it was the only hiccup and was easily cleared, after diagnosis. That was round 9/10 of the first 10 round group I shot, making it round number 26 on the day, and that same 10 round mag worked the entire time. I think it could be attributed to how I was holding my mouth. When I walked out of the tunnel up to the shop carrying my rifle I bet I looked a lot like the Jack Nicholson Joker... The same face cramps are coming back now as I write this report...

The fact that I sit here re-living the entire event, and as I write I am reminded of things that make me smile, to the point of cramping my cheeks - to me, says volumes about how nice it was to FINALLY own and shoot my own Larue.

This is no sales pitch, but I wouldn't mind selling products as well made and performing as these. Take whats here for what it's worth, and with a grain of salt, YMMV.

I tend to forget details over time, and most of what I am doing here is recording my experience for posterity and for my own fun.

LRRPF52, your reviews were what convinced me to trade off the UU kit I had bought, and to go ahead and get the complete rifle. Now, I say thank you. For the completely accurate and descriptive reviews. Your descriptions were definitely spot on, and I am glad to say publicly now how happy I am to have taken your experience and run with it. I think Mark may well be a genius for sending you a review at the expense of a gift rifle. I know he is a genius when it comes to building rifles... Thank you both.

IMG_6464 (Custom).JPG
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

KSWT - It is abundantly clear you are finally satisfied with your new LRT 6.5G. Thanks for the excellent writeup. Nice looking groups.

After a few more rounds, please update us on how the barrel is seasoning, and what the groups are doing.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Awesome write up and pictures KS!! The more you shoot it the more those groups will continue to settle in. (Has been my experience anyways)

Even your worst groups are good groups, anxious to hear about how you make out when you stretch it out a ways. You won't be able to wipe the grin from your face.

Comment

• Mrvmax17
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2017

I finally got all my parts in from Larue and it is assembled. The fit between the upper and lower was the tightest I have ever seen on an AR, it was so tight it was hard to get the upper and lower pinned together even with lubrication. I threw a 4-12 power Leupold scope in a Warne one piece mount on it and tested it with the Hornady Black ammo (as well as some hand loads). My three shot group was .19" at 50 yards and it was consistent with the Hornady factory ammo. I didn't have time to move out to 100, I pulled the Leupold scope off after sighting it and mounted my Armasight Vampire night vision scope to get ready to pig hunt this weekend. I had limited time before the range closed last night so I had to get the night vision mounted and sighted in. When I get time I will work on some hand loads and see what groups I can get when I get an optimized load for my rifle.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Second trip on 10-7. So far, rifle has seen 96 123 gr ELD-M, and 20 Federal 120gr OTM. Groups here were me on the right, and a friend from Sweeden who was a Seargant Major in the Swiss Army. We took him shooting as the women folk had all loaded up and went to the local craft fair. The rifle seems to be un-affected by break in, as the groups (this time outside) were about identical to the previous set. I have some 120SMK BLC2 rounds fresh off the Dillon 650 to finish break-in and see what the groups do after another 200 rounds.

After this, I will break out the "special" box of ammo Mark included with the rifle to see what she'll do with ammo loaded specifically for the Larue chamber.

IMG_6494 (Custom).JPG

my 13 year old couldn't beat me this time, he was more interested in rapid fire than group size. Sheesh... Although, for a kid to throw 27 rounds down range in less than a minute, holding a 4 inch group? Yea, this thing shoots. And he can take deer, no problem.

(oops, I am the group on the left of the upside down picture...)
                      Will update when I've got some more rounds down range and some more time under the sights.

Be well guys, keep the thread alive!
                      Last edited by Kswhitetails; 10-22-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• 1911man
                        Warrior
                        • May 2015

So far I have not been able to find a load that shoots super tight groups in my LaRue set up. Boxed ammo shoots right at 1MOA for 5 shots but 3 will be 1/2 MOA most times. So far its my least Accurate; yet most expensive Grendel. I still enjoy it, just wish I could find a consistent sub MOA load for it.

Comment

• Six5x39
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2017

5 shots n 1moa n still not good enough ? Ill call it a day with that results . good shooting mate

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

This rifle, this company, and this gear continue to astound. I just upgraded my phone, so I have no pics, but the groups are at my worst staying the same, at best are half as big. I've never carried a "group" for less than 10 rounds, except the first day with the 10 rounds of 120 Federal of which I made two 5 round groups, and that are pictured above.

I am getting right at MOA - 1.1x" groups (of 10 consecutively fired rounds) minus the .264 = .836 - .926

I am extremely happy with the gun as a whole. Reliably consistent and absolutely accurate, with either my plinker handloads (120 SMK with 27.6gr BLC2, Rem7 1/2, once fired Hornady, 1.205COAL), or the Hornady Black and the already mentioned Federal loads, which are the most consistent. I need to pull one of the Federals apart soon to cobble a reverse engineering job on the specifics of the recipe. Too bad that one is in FC brass...

I really need to try some CFE and some 8208 on the 120s in some Hornady brass and see if I can find a node with either (or both) that works as well as the Fed load with the Rearden barrel. I put together the above hand loads as "polishers" because I can do it for less than wolf steel for now, and I wanted to see what happened to the groups after about 300 solid rounds. I bought 650 of the 120 SMKs for 35.00 bucks on FB, the brass I already have, the 7 1/2s I bought from a guy on arfcom locally for next to nothing - I think 60.00/5k? and the powder I found at a garage sale a while back for 5 bucks unopened. And the LaGrendel eats it all with great gusto. Win-win.

This 6500 Elite is making me look good. The Rifle makes me look even better. It has heads turning and even a guy offering to swap rifles or benches to try each others rifles out. Kind of flattering, but I probably kept a closer eye on them than I should've - don't hurt my Gertrude... He proceded to beat my best group with the Black that day... jerk. LOL He was on a lead sled type rest though, and my popcorn filled pillow cases are the next thing I've got to upgrade; I need to spend some coin on building a better position. I leave the Caldwell AR bags at home any more...

(his 6.5 Creedmore had more kick, more mass, and was much, much heavier.) In the end, he was really interested in this "Larue guy" - He wanted to trade...

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

$565 in ammo for $100 plus your time, hard to beat.

Great writeup!
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                                Chieftain
                                • Oct 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X