X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carlhwv
    Bloodstained
    • May 2017

Uppes are on sale. Have to buy the whole package but it's under 900. Everything but the stripped lower. Someone just posted a 3 shot one hole group in the LaRue thread on Ar15 with a Grendel.
    Carl
    NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
    Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
    Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• Kswhitetails
      Chieftain
      • Oct 2016

Well, so much for that HOWA in the works, sorry Brownel's. I may be posting my Grendel in the sale sections on a few boards soon...

LRRP, get well, and get up soon. I ruptured two discs at the base of my spine in July of 16, and am just now getting back to "normal". I am making no plans for this falls game season, I still can't imagine dragging out a carcass... I can empathize with your struggles. This too, will pass. Keep looking up, and keep posting things that make the rest of us envious. Be well, and keep your chin up. You have a Larue to review!
      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

Have truck will travel

Will drag carcasses for an invite
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

The main thing I am taking away from this rifle after a short range trip on Friday is how smoothly it runs.

I loaded up a mag of Federal 120gr OTM Match, inserted it, and wanted to see how it fed from bolt hold open.

Stripped the cartridge off and into the chamber so quickly and smoothly that it was like butter.

Firing the rifle feels like this is the correct cartridge for the AR15, not .223 Remington. It just had this strange normalcy about how beautifully it functioned to me, based on decades of driving these guns. Honestly, it felt more like a tuned race gun than a rack-grade operating system, even though it uses a standard buffer and recoil spring arrangement, standard weight carrier, and a LaRue low profile gas block. The Tranquillo brake makes this higher-pitched bark that sounds like the Robocop gun or a drill almost. It has a very unique sound on the range, without the obnoxious concussion of most gilled brakes.

My POA never moved more than 1.5" off of initial POA, and the rifle handles so smoothly, I fell in love with it even more first shot. I blasted through several strings of ammo before we had to go, doing rapid 5-round groups using the 1.5-6x Burris with a fairly large dot aiming point in the reticle. I'm going to mount a higher magnification Vortex with a finer reticle and take my time next trip, maybe work up a load with 8208XBR or AR Comp and see what it likes.

My first group was literally in the exact grid location as Mark LaRue's test-fired group. Keep in mind the scope and swag box was shipped separately, and there were marks on the upper rail showing that a scope mount had in fact been installed for test-fire. That level of return-to-zero was astonishing really, and reminds me of the story when Mark did his elk hunt up in Wyoming by showing up without optics mounted, telling the guide it would be ok. The guide was already majorly concerned about a customer showing up with a puny little AR15, and now he doesn't have his scope mounted? Mark told him not to worry, at which point the guide figured this guy must be nuts. 405yd shot on a rather nice bull with a 120gr TSX and all questions were answered after that point.

I'm a skeptic when it comes to all these marketing campaigns and hype, so even with stuff that has proven itself to me, I still remain cock-eyed and am waiting for the failure point at some time.

This rifle makes me feel like someone who spent their childhood and entire adult life learning how to drive and build a hot rod racecar, only to have a performance shop come along and smoke me with theirs.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Curse you, LRRPF52. Curse you and your tantalizing reviews. Oh, wait. What's that other thing? Right! I mean to say "Thank you, for these tantalizing reviews." (My wife curses you, but only because of budget variances induced by reading such information.) Ok, she doesn't really curse you, but she says you should send financial support for the extra dependents in my safe for which you are partially responsible.

Very nice to hear the Larue runs smoothly. Looking forward to your 500 round report.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Stop it LRRPF52!!!! My bank account can't take it!!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

"Honey! Look whudchu GOT!"

Get her to a range with steel. With a zero'd rifle, talk her through dry-fire, then set her up on a 300yd steel target. Dial-in the correct dope, and let her send lead downrange.

With the ringing impact, jump for joy like a hyper-active child at a rodeo in disbelief at what she's done, and go like this:

Keep loading her up some mags.

Start saving up for your Grendel if you can afford another.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Honestly sound advice!! This is my wife doing exactly that! Since then she hasn't complained about all the AR parts that I'm constantly bringing home from the shop.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

That's great! Post some of her hitting the steel hard with the Grendel.

I love watching ladies shoot better than their husbands in long range courses, because they generally just listen to instructions and actually learn how to shoot, versus already knowing how to shoot for guys.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                      Chieftain
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                      Honestly sound advice!! This is my wife doing exactly that! Since then she hasn't complained about all the AR parts that I'm constantly bringing home from the shop.

https://youtu.be/CuBRoTvkxUs
                      I just watched your video, and had my wife come into the room to watch for herself. "If you want to set it up for me to hit with it, sure I'll go. But if you want to just say hey honey lets go shooting, no. Not gonna happen."

Heh. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
                      Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Apparition
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2014

Here's how my LaRue Grendel shoots, my last 5 three shot groups averaged .390. Posted my other targets in the LaRue Grendel owners thread on AR15.

Comment

• Swinestalker
                          Unwashed
                          • Feb 2017

Any feedback on how this rifle performs suppressed?

Comment

• Apparition
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Swinestalker View Post
                            Any feedback on how this rifle performs suppressed?
                            From what I've seen the groups tighten up. I ordered the tranquilo but I won't get it until the govt says I can, maybe in a year.

Comment

• Swinestalker
                              Unwashed
                              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Apparition View Post
                              From what I've seen the groups tighten up. I ordered the tranquilo but I won't get it until the govt says I can, maybe in a year.
                              Sad, hope your wait is quicker. Only the government can be so stupid as to criminalize a safety device. How many Americans have suffered hearing loss because of our corrupt politicians? I shoot suppressed 90% of the time. I've grown very fond of adjustable gas blocks and being able to fine tune. Since these rifles do not have adjustable gas blocks, was wondering if anyone had run them. Since they are designed for and offered with a suppresser, and since Larue appears quite OCD about quality and performance, Was wondering if they had somehow managed to get a smooth, top notch running rifle that functions well with or without a suppressor despite a non adjustable gas block.

Comment

• carlhwv
                                Bloodstained
                                • May 2017

Without seeing it yet, I'm thinking they either want to keep some features for their flagship rifles, or their PST block might not fit under the rail of this upper. SA makes an adjustable block that fits in tight spaces and gives you option to push gas out the barrel like traditional adj blocks or you can bleed it forward out the block. I haven't run it with a suppressor, as I'm in the wait period for mine as well........I would hope my NRA funds would be used to lobby the Pres to deregulate them.
                                Carl
                                NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
                                Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
                                Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

Working...
                                X