• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apparition
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by carlhwv View Post
    Without seeing it yet, I'm thinking they either want to keep some features for their flagship rifles, or their PST block might not fit under the rail of this upper. SA makes an adjustable block that fits in tight spaces and gives you option to push gas out the barrel like traditional adj blocks or you can bleed it forward out the block. I haven't run it with a suppressor, as I'm in the wait period for mine as well........I would hope my NRA funds would be used to lobby the Pres to deregulate them.
    I have a 300BO with the LaRue stealth 2.0 chassis. I've got an SLR adjustable gas block in it. Not much extra room. From what I read you don't need any adjustments running a tranquilo with this Grendel. Someone just posted a nice group in the "Outshoot the Shootist" thread in the LaRue forum, shooting suppressed.

Comment

• carlhwv
      Bloodstained
      • May 2017

I wonder if the groups tighten up with the suppressor because of operator comfort or velocity change? Hopefully we will see someone post some velocity info. I'm getting my reloading kit together and getting back into the Gun Club so I have a good place to shoot, hopefully all in the next month. I know it's like everything, but I been looking at the chronographs folks are using and reading how different units produce different results with the same load. Spending a lot right now on stuff I really need and wondering how important the chrono is. I need to work up a hunting load for November Elk trip. I get the need for chrono for working out dope but at this point in time I'm going to be shooting inside 400yds and I know some of the guys at the club have them, so if I get something that groups tight, I can then get the info I need from their chrono when they are at the range at the same time. Is my thinking straight on this?
      Carl
      NRA Patron Member, frequent supporter of the ILA, when knives are on offer
      Living free and willing to lay it down to keep it that way......
      Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• Apparition
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by carlhwv View Post
        I wonder if the groups tighten up with the suppressor because of operator comfort or velocity change? Hopefully we will see someone post some velocity info. I'm getting my reloading kit together and getting back into the Gun Club so I have a good place to shoot, hopefully all in the next month. I know it's like everything, but I been looking at the chronographs folks are using and reading how different units produce different results with the same load. Spending a lot right now on stuff I really need and wondering how important the chrono is. I need to work up a hunting load for November Elk trip. I get the need for chrono for working out dope but at this point in time I'm going to be shooting inside 400yds and I know some of the guys at the club have them, so if I get something that groups tight, I can then get the info I need from their chrono when they are at the range at the same time. Is my thinking straight on this?
        That's why I'm so impressed with this LaRue. I'm shooting factory ammo and on my last 5 three shot groups they averaged .390 moa. Buying the ELDM for $17 something a box shipped really doesn't make me want to reload anything. I've just been saving up brass.

I'm going to try to get back to the range Friday for the MOA all day challenge and I need to outshoot the shootist. I'm so comfortable behind this gun I don't think I'll have any issues. My shootist target was .497. The razor makes this gun seem like cheating. For hunting I'd likely throw the Burris back on.

Comment

• carlhwv
          Bloodstained
          • May 2017

We know LaRue stuff is great, but so is this caliber. .7MOA and better seems very achievable for a lot of folks with home builds if they follow the accuracy directions. I bet we are going to see quite a few single hole group with the LaRues once guys start reloading....and can do it, which won't be me.......I don't have those skills. I don't think I would mess with it if there was a good hunting load available.
          Last edited by carlhwv; 08-02-2017, 04:02 PM.
          Carl
          Eternally grateful to my brothers and sisters that did and to those who strap it on each day so that we may enjoy life the way we do

Comment

• crusader18
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2015

" ....I'd probably be using the 129gr ABLR though." Why? I would love to know. Would you please expound? I'm new to the horde and don't reload, so as of now, my world consists of Hornady and Wolf. Was considering buying loaded ammo from PF and or Alexander for hunting deer and maybe elk someday and am looking to expand my horizons. Would you please explain the comparative advantages that the ABLR or TSX give as far as exterior and terminal ballistics. Being confined to purchasing and then trial and error leaves some of us dependent on the manufacturers(in this case Hornady 123SST) and their advertising. You're an expert (well...THE Expert) so a quick lesson on what the extra $1 per round on average for Bill and Mark's loadings will give us would be greatly appreciated. Especially interested in the details of the two bullets construction, exterior and terminal ballistics, what differentiates the two bullets' construction and if you have any experience with ether of the two rifle manufacturer's offerings? Sorry for the long winded/multi-part question, it's been eating at me for a while...like since before I joined the Horde.
            PF-6.5 Grendel Neptune EL V-I 20" Fluted

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Crusader, in short the 129 ablr offers a high ballistic coefficient and expansion at lower velocities thus extending the range of the Grendel when compared to other 120 class pills.

The advantage offered by PF ammo is a wide range of loadings including some that are considered "premium" and lapua brass. I'm not sure if AA uses lapua brass.
              Last edited by rabiddawg; 08-07-2017, 12:41 PM.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by crusader18 View Post
                " ....I'd probably be using the 129gr ABLR though." Why? I would love to know. Would you please expound? I'm new to the horde and don't reload, so as of now, my world consists of Hornady and Wolf. Was considering buying loaded ammo from PF and or Alexander for hunting deer and maybe elk someday and am looking to expand my horizons. Would you please explain the comparative advantages that the ABLR or TSX give as far as exterior and terminal ballistics. Being confined to purchasing and then trial and error leaves some of us dependent on the manufacturers(in this case Hornady 123SST) and their advertising. You're an expert (well...THE Expert) so a quick lesson on what the extra $1 per round on average for Bill and Mark's loadings will give us would be greatly appreciated. Especially interested in the details of the two bullets construction, exterior and terminal ballistics, what differentiates the two bullets' construction and if you have any experience with ether of the two rifle manufacturer's offerings? Sorry for the long winded/multi-part question, it's been eating at me for a while...like since before I joined the Horde.
                PF-6.5 Grendel Neptune EL V-I 20" Fluted
                Welcome aboard.

As mentioned, the 129gr ABLR is a bonded cup/core bullet from Nosler. It rapidly expands upon entrance, and has an expansion threshold down to 1300fps impact, which is much lower than any other bonded hunting bullet on the market that I'm aware of for the .264"/6.5mm bore. It also has a BC of .553 G1, so it does not like to slow down much at all.

It's one of the go-to premium hunting bullets for 6.5 Grendel, especially for those with shorter barrels.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

I know I've seen it posted, but for the life of me I'm not able to find the posts. Does anyone have data on this "custom" loading ML is having sent with every rifle? I'm curious about what he thinks is "acceptable" ammunition to send with his namesake. This waiting is killing me, It's been "GTG" for four days. My brain hurts!
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I think the custom ammo is a 120gr Berger OTM. Haven't seen it yet.

I did color-fills on my rifle:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• carlhwv
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2017

Nice work on the fill!
                      Carl

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

OK so, just looked at my acct with Larue, apparently My Tranquillo shipped Wednesday. No email, no nothing. Haven't heard from the shop either, 'spose to arrive today. So, SURPIRSE! Form 4 for me, but still no rifle... HA! Mark must be making it purr! Well, faith in the things you love leads to good results. Now, off to the FFL~
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Apparition
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                          OK so, just looked at my acct with Larue, apparently My Tranquillo shipped Wednesday. No email, no nothing. Haven't heard from the shop either, 'spose to arrive today. So, SURPIRSE! Form 4 for me, but still no rifle... HA! Mark must be making it purr! Well, faith in the things you love leads to good results. Now, off to the FFL~
                          Check your junk email. You should get LaRue notifications if there's a status change otherwise look for an auto generated ups quantumview notification. Also in your orders all the tracking numbers are listed.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

I did just that, but still saw no email. The Tranq is still the only thing that's shipped. (I haven't heard from the shop, on my call today, I was informed the FFL owner is on vacation...) I'm getting jumpy. Every time I see a UPS truck I can't resist the urge to check my order status. I need a vacation... WAY out in the boonies, where even UPS trucks don't dare, and cell service is a fabled bedtime story.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

It's getting hard to hold my breath, so in an effort to make myself a prophet, I'm going to vent a little impatience. Order placed 8/4. Supressor shipped 8/16, form 4s sent in last week. Oh yea, baby. If NFATRACKER is right and it's 241 days, that'll coincidentally make my new supressor a birthday gift next year. The wife paid the stamp so she could claim that one now. :P

Still no word on the rifle and 5.56 cartridge. I guess I most assuredly did NOT get in on the "small run"(my assumption was that the FDE was a special deal... what does assume mean again?), and there was apparently no reason to jump from the UU I had already bought because now, the UU guys can get the supressor at half price too. (And to add insult to injury, at the moment I can't afford another Tranquillo )

Other than that, I am patiently, happily, waiting (and turning blue) for my precioussss new rifle to grace my doorstep; And to outshoot the Larue shootist; and more dust, I've run out of that tonight too. Sigh.

Cheers; and here's to all those who pray for patience~

Comment

• 1911man
                                Warrior
                                • May 2015

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                                It's getting hard to hold my breath, so in an effort to make myself a prophet, I'm going to vent a little impatience. Order placed 8/4. Supressor shipped 8/16, form 4s sent in last week. Oh yea, baby. If NFATRACKER is right and it's 241 days, that'll coincidentally make my new supressor a birthday gift next year. The wife paid the stamp so she could claim that one now. :P

Still no word on the rifle and 5.56 cartridge. I guess I most assuredly did NOT get in on the "small run"(my assumption was that the FDE was a special deal... what does assume mean again?), and there was apparently no reason to jump from the UU I had already bought because now, the UU guys can get the supressor at half price too. (And to add insult to injury, at the moment I can't afford another Tranquillo )

Other than that, I am patiently, happily, waiting (and turning blue) for my precioussss new rifle to grace my doorstep; And to outshoot the Larue shootist; and more dust, I've run out of that tonight too. Sigh.

Cheers; and here's to all those who pray for patience~
                                Dang, sorry to hear your having to wait this long. I had to wait 6 months for a barrel I ordered from PF last year and I know the feeling, for me I am a bit of an impulse buyer so once that wait kicks in I start to wish I had spent the money on something else. My bet is the guys at Larue were effect by Hurricane Harvey. Though I know their facility is not under water Texas has been experiencing a huge gas and resource shortage for the last 2 weeks because of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X