• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Likethelooks
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

Newbie from GA

Hello to everyone,
    I am new to the Grendel and looking to build one. I am an old bolt guy and like the accuracy of them. I hope to build something here similar. I know and do not expect my 6 Dasher group sizes each time, but do expect some accuracy and better than my brother's standard ar in 223. His is just a regular Bushmaster from long ago with no add ons. It does about an inch at 100 with handloads. I will be handloading so any information on any part or piece is appreciated. No expectation or specifics for barrel, receivers, or anything yet on my part. I just want to get some expert advise before jumping too deep.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Likethelooks! Good luck on your 6.5 Grendel build. If your chasing accuracy you'll see more return on getting the highest quality barrel you can afford. Optics and good trigger mean more than specific hand guards, grips and butt stocks.

Comment

• Likethelooks
      Unwashed
      • Jun 2017

On the barrel what would you recommend? I agree on the barrel really as the heart of a weapon. For a trigger, my son-in-law shoots a Geissele and I am leaning towards this unless members here know something he don't. He is not a long time shooter, so I am sure the members may know quite a bit more on this. Optics are total up to recommendations as well. Correct, the other parts are or will be an assortment of good products recommended. I don't have anything as of yet. I want to take the suggestions here and put to use.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Welcome to the forum likethelooks, what part of ga u from? I'm from south ga, thomas county to be precise. I personally like the cut rifled barrels, but there are several great button pipes that will serve you just as well. Lilja, criterion, faxon, and I just picked up an 18" classic firearms barrel just for a hog blaster and it shoots hornady factory into an inch sighted in off truck mirror with a 1-6x vortex. The wolf steel case was 5-6moa off bipod but I think the bipod bounce was the main culprit there. Good to have you and look forward to seeing your build.

Richard
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

My opinion on barrels is you get what you pay for. You might buy a cheaper barrel but it is luck of the draw whether you get a good shooter, average or poor accuracy. Some of the better performers but more expensive, Lilja, JP Enterprises, Shilen, Precsion Firearms, Alexander Arms, Satern cut rifled barrels and Larue just released a 6.5 Grendel. Les Baer sells a 264 LBC AR varient chamber which shoots 6.5 Grendel ammunition.

Odin Works and T-Box get good reviews as does J&T Distributing which is a sister company to Double Star. I bought a 1:9 twist Shilen 20" SS barrel with matched bolt from Midway in 2012 and it has met my satisfaction. This is a match profile (Service rifle, DCM) 1:9 twist non threaded barrel. This barrel and bolt was approximately $450 when purchased.

The current trend is towards 1:8 twist and you need to decide how your going to use your rifle. If your primarly shooting from the bench or prone I like 20" 6.5 Grendel barrels. If you go to 24+" barreled rifles they get heavy and difficult to shoot off hand. You gain approximately 80 FPS or less going to 24" compared to 20" with typical factory 6.5 Grendel ammo.

For a rifle used for hunting and target shooting 18" barrels hit a sweet spot for handling and velocity. Many forum members prefer Geissele triggers plus LaRue MBT triggers is very popular. If you search there are many threads covering every aspect of the 6.5 Grendel.
          Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-27-2017, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• LWP
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

Not sure if this one has been posted yet BA25 – Free Shipping + 25% OFF all Ballistic Advantage Barrels http://www.monmouthreloading.com/ http://www.monmouthreloading.com/pro...er=6-5-grendel

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

Likethelooks - Welcome to the greatest collective source of wisdom on AR's / MSR's there is.

Comment

• Likethelooks
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2017

ricsmall,
                Just north of you in Albany. I have used Lilja, Bartlein and Douglas. They are all good shooters in my bolt rigs. Thanks for the heads up.
                Robert

Comment

• Likethelooks
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2017

Vascar2

Great advise and thank you. I was expecting in the 500 range for a barrel. Do you know anything about the stuff Robert Whitley has? I saw an 6mmAR turbo on this site as well. This turbo is built off the grendel case. It has my interest.

Yep, speed kills to with barrels. I have burnt a few in my 22-250 with it zinging about 3900+ for loads.

This will be a bench gun about 98% of the time. No hunting, just target shooting. I shoot several ranges and once in a while I hit a match now. It is more fun, but I am finicky for precision. I won't get in a panic if it does not shoot the .1 or 0 groups like my bolt rigs, but I prefer to keep it close. Yep, I know it cost. My Dasher proved that to me (it is a 30inch Bartlein).

1:8 twist it will be. I like longer barrels when possible. I got a 325lb ex football player son-in-law to carry it for me. However, I tried the PPC game once and the short barrels showed me a thing or two. So the question for me is what length to get, I guess I will pull my hair out on this decision.

I will continue reading here and you are correct. You guys really fill in some blanks and I thank everyone.
                  Last edited by Likethelooks; 06-27-2017, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Likethelooks
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2017

LWP
                    Thank you. I will look into this site and see what is offered.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I personally have no experience with Robert Whitley but have heard of him. AR-15's are not rocket science but the heart of the accuracy is a accurate free floated barrel. Precision Firearms offers barrels from Bartlein, Douglas and other brands. I'm sure if Whitley started out with a good barrel blank he could produce a top quality barrel. The biggest down side with a custom barrel maker is the wait time. With a Lilja or JP you can have a barrel or upper in a few days.

One nice thing about the 6.5 Grendel is the high ballistic coefficient doesn't require extreme velocity or pressure. You get long barrel life, moderate recoil and 50,000 PSI pressure is adequate for target shooting to 800 to 1000 yards. The 6.5 Grendel can't compete in matches at extreme range with the larger case capacities of the 6.5X47, 6.5 CM or 260 but for the weekend shooter like me the 6.5 Grendel is just plain fun.

Comment

• Likethelooks
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2017

This is my weekend fun gun. It may see the 800 yard as an extreme. Mostly 100 to 500. I don't mind the wait time for a good product. I like the lower pressure. My Dasher is higher and I watch my heat range. I like the Grendel due to the amount of product out there and prefer to have more to choose from. I will look into the Precision Firearms and see what they have on their site. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Likethelooks
                          Unwashed
                          • Jun 2017

Vascar2,
                          You hit the it perfect. Checked out the Precision Firearm. They have it. The .920 bull in grendel with bolt. This is what I am talking about. I will be calling shortly to get on order.

Comment

• Texas
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Likethelooks from North Texas.

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

Welcome friend!! Don't knock those old Maine made Bushmasrer A Rs! Those were quality rifles. Now known to us mainahs as Whindam Weaponry, they are still making quality rifles.

Comment

Working...
                              X