• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trumpet
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

Barrel length/selection?

So, I'm torn. I'm looking at either a BA 16" Hanson or an Odin 18" intermediate. I'm in MD (sigh ) so I don't really have access to a range where I can really stretch the Grendel's legs (but if I move, you never know). My main priority is "budget accuracy", and I'm using a VLTOR MUR upper and a Geissele 13" SMR rail. I can get the Odin for $320-ish including the BCG/GB/tube, and the BA for $302 shipped.

Thoughts?
    Odin 18" intermediate
    0%
    BA 16" Hanson
    0%
  • kpswihart
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

I have the Odin 18" and it shoots great. Though I did not want a lighter weight barrel at the time, it feels a little heavier than I expected. I'm planning an SBR build now and am really interested in the BA 12.5.

Comment

• kevperro
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by Trumpet
      So, I'm torn. I'm looking at either a BA 16" Hanson or an Odin 18" intermediate. I'm in MD (sigh ) so I don't really have access to a range where I can really stretch the Grendel's legs (but if I move, you never know). My main priority is "budget accuracy", and I'm using a VLTOR MUR upper and a Geissele 13" SMR rail. I can get the Odin for $320-ish including the BCG/GB/tube, and the BA for $302 shipped.

Thoughts?

If it were me I'd go for the Odin. They have a longer record with the Grendel and you get that adjustable gas block and tube along with some extra MV due to the extra 2". Their BCG & bolt are top-notcch too.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Odin isn't a bad value considering the extras. OP cannot make your mind up on pipe length for your build?

Comment

• kcb38
          Warrior
          • Jun 2017

Who has the Odin package for $320?

Just a heads up if you're considering BA, Granite Ridge Outfitters and Monmouth Reloading regularly have 15 and 25% sales on BA barrels. I was *this* close to buying a 20" 6.5G from Monmouth for $215 shipped.
          - Kirk -

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Generally speaking there is only 40-60 FPS difference between a 16" and 18" barrel. For me shooting off hand a 16" balances a little better with my short arms. I think it boils down to how your mostly going to use your 6.5 Grendel. If you hunt from a blind and target shoot from the bench or prone the majority of time I'd choose the 18" or maybe 20". If your hunting in areas where your in thick cover, in mountains or hills with a lot of off hand shooting at closer range I'd choose a 16".

Only you can decide but I try to determine how I will use the rifle before making a final decision on barrel length. I don't think you can go wrong with Either Odin or BA, both have great CS and both use 1:8 twist.

Comment

• mdram
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

now in md its tricky
              i dont see the BA listed as an hbar, does it need to be? no one has said yes or no.

for that reason i would go odin

what part of md are you in?
              there are some longer ranges around
              just some targets for printing
              https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Trumpet
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2016

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                now in md its tricky
                i dont see the BA listed as an hbar, does it need to be? no one has said yes or no.

for that reason i would go odin

what part of md are you in?
                there are some longer ranges around
                HBAR is only a requirement for .223/5.56. That's the "beauty" of the dumb-ass MD law.

I'm in S. PG

Comment

• Trumpet
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                  Generally speaking there is only 40-60 FPS difference between a 16" and 18" barrel. For me shooting off hand a 16" balances a little better with my short arms. I think it boils down to how your mostly going to use your 6.5 Grendel. If you hunt from a blind and target shoot from the bench or prone the majority of time I'd choose the 18" or maybe 20". If your hunting in areas where your in thick cover, in mountains or hills with a lot of off hand shooting at closer range I'd choose a 16".

Only you can decide but I try to determine how I will use the rifle before making a final decision on barrel length. I don't think you can go wrong with Either Odin or BA, both have great CS and both use 1:8 twist.
                  Just bench, range toy. No humping through woods etc.

Comment

• mdram
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Trumpet View Post
                    HBAR is only a requirement for .223/5.56. That's the "beauty" of the dumb-ass MD law.

I'm in S. PG
                    its actually a gray area, not even the msp is 100% certain

but if you dont mid a drive delmarva sporting clays goes to 500yds
                    and bridgeville rifle and postol club goes to 1000yds
                    if i recall correctly
                    just some targets for printing
                    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                    X