First loads with the Grendel, how's my list look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendelshooter
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

First loads with the Grendel, how's my list look?

I've got a bunch of wolf steel case for plinking but want to start loading my own for accuracy and range (as far as I can get)

Right now I'm looking at stocking up on the following items:
    -IMR 8208 XBR (temps here go from 30-40 in winter to 100-110 in summer so stability across temps is big for me).

-Lapua brass. 500 pieces, routinely reloaded hopefully producing 5000 reloads.

-123gr SMK.

-cci #41 primers

Am I missing anything for the rounds themselves or are there better/preferred components than what I have listed?

Stick is built in an AR performance 18.5 inch SPR barrel with nightforce 2.5-10x24
    Last edited by Grendelshooter; 06-27-2017, 07:05 PM.
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I wouldn't go too crazy on powder and bullets until you find something that works. I couldn't get XBR and 123 SMKs too work in my 18" at all. I got XBR and 123 scenars to work really well and then my 22" barrel arrived and finished that build. So I of course wanted to find where the XBR scenar combo worked. I found a node but velocity wasnt there. I think you catch my drift....

Take it from someone who avoided CFE 223 based upon the myth of temperature sensitivity - give a pound a try. I've been kicking myself in the arse for not trying it a year ago. It exhibits none of the vertical stringing that you would get with powders that would normally be associated with temp sensitivity such as IMR 4895 and BL(C)2. 30.8 gr and a 123 scenar not only shoot better than me, they probably shoot better than my scale can weigh.

Midway is doing free shipping and no Hazmat on case orders of CCI primers today!
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Grendelshooter
      Warrior
      • Jun 2017

Grabbed 5000 CCI #41 lol
      Also some of the factory second bullets. People are saying they are getting AMAX in them.

I'll grab some 123smk and I see 120 scenar-l on sale.
      I'll also grab a pound each of 8208 and cfe 223.

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

Maybe CCI 450 primers would be better....

Comment

• Grendelshooter
          Warrior
          • Jun 2017

Well trigger is already pulled, but might I ask why?

Comment

Working...
          X