• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smbob
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

No 6.5 Grendel CFE 223 Load Data On Hogdon's Website

I have seen several threads here and on other sites where people are using CFE 223 for the 6.5 Grendel. When I go to Hogdon's site I don't see any loads listed for the 6.5 Grendel using CFE 223. From the indications it looks like it is working well for a lot of people, but I'm a little reluctant to load up rounds for the 6.5 Grendel using a powder that the manufacturer doesn't show in their own load data for this cartridge. What say you guys?

Robert
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

CFE 223 does very well in the Grendel. There's a bunch of data in the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook.

Go to AR15buildbox.com or alexanderarms.com to get a copy.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Hornady lists CFE223 in both the #9 and #10 manual.. I don't remember the starting charge and I would feel kind of irresponsible guessing... LRRPF52 has a great write up on AR15.Com testing this powder in the Grendel. Produces great velocities at relatively low pressures.

Comment

• Bobke
        Warrior
        • Dec 2015

CFE223 my 'go to' powder for 120-123 class bullets in Grendel. Low ES/SD with well prepared loads in either Hornady or Lapua brass. Build to your barrel, but go with confidence. +1 on the V1-2 load manuals, as well, though a wealth of data here with some review.
        Last edited by Bobke; 06-29-2017, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• shooter545
          Warrior
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Bobke View Post
          CFE223 my 'go to' powder for 120-123 class bullets in Grendel. Low ES/SD with well prepared loads in either Hornady or Lapua brass. Build to your barrel, but go with confidence. +1 on the V1-2 load manuals, as well, though a wealth of data here with some review.
          ^^^ This
          I have found 30.8-31.0gr of CFE and the 123 weight class bullets to be a consistently accurate performer. YMMV. Follow all standard reloading procedures, start low and work up for your barrel/bolt combination.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Use CFE223 with confidence in the 120-123 class as mentioned above.

Historically speaking, as great as Hodgdon is, they really stepped in it when it came to experimenting with 6.5 Grendel loads. Someone there somehow got it in their mind that CFE223 — and LEVERevolution, for that matter — were completely unsuited to the 65G and wouldn't even consider it.

Subsequently the Horde went and found out CFE is one of the better powders for the task at hand — and LVR one of the best for the 130 class. Go figure.

Even Tom Brady throws an interception, now and then.
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Smbob
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2017

Thanks guys
              I'll check that data out. I have some CFE 223 laying around that I used for some .223 loads that didn't pan out.
              Robert

Comment

• DJudge
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Smbob View Post
                I have seen several threads here and on other sites where people are using CFE 223 for the 6.5 Grendel. When I go to Hogdon's site I don't see any loads listed for the 6.5 Grendel using CFE 223. From the indications it looks like it is working well for a lot of people, but I'm a little reluctant to load up rounds for the 6.5 Grendel using a powder that the manufacturer doesn't show in their own load data for this cartridge. What say you guys?

Robert
                I've been researching reloading data and wondering the same thing so emailed Hogdon about using CFE223 in 6.5 Grendel. Response stated they didn't have any data and suggested using H335, Hodgdon H322, IMR 4198, or IMR 8208 XBR. Results posted on here suggest otherwise so just ordered 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook Vol 1 and Vol 2 and dies and am anxiously awaiting them to arrive to verify so that I can order remaining supplies. Only recently started using the 6.5 Grendel but am very impressed with it so far.

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

I have only tried CFE223 with 123, 129 and 130gr bullets and it works well with those. Others report very good results with the lighter bullets as well.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Not to rob Hornady of any revenue... but here's a pic of the 120-123 with CFE223 in #9.

65gndl-cfe-2.jpg

+1 on the handbooks, too, btw.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Joseph5
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

I load 32 grains of CFE223 under a Hornady 123 gr SST and 34 grains under the 100gr AMAX. Regardless of what Hodgdon says CFE and LVRevolution are two of the best powders there is for the the Grendel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

We know Hornady tested it and found it to be more than suitable for 6.5 Grendel.

Of all the powders I have tested, CFE223 seems to be the most forgiving in 6.5 Grendel, where you get a 100% or more case fill, and really good speeds, excellent accuracy for me and many others.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

I emailed Hornady awhile back (4-5 months) and asked an opinion for a powder choice for 123 gr bullets. They emailed me back and said to use CFE223 and start at 26.2 and Max at 31.2. They said to use the SST for hunting and the ELD-M for targets. Have some loaded but have not had the time to get to the range. Barrel is a BHW 20" 3P and shoots 123 ELD-m really well. Also had some 85 gr Sierra HP that are amazing. They were loaded with H335 though.

Comment

• lwminton
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2014

100 yard target 16" barrel31.3 CFE + Scenar-L.jpg

Comment

• Singleshotsam
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2016

I got one of the early mini bolts, have used 4 dif. powers, my go to is 31grs CFE223 and 120gr hornady. Half min angle at 200yds all day long every day

Comment

Working...
                              X