• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SETHUSMC0311
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2017

Newbie from tx with questions

Hey guys new here, just got my first 6.5. Have been trying to find magazines for the dang thing with no luck. Can you just use 556 mags and not load to capacity and still get good performance. i have probably 30-40 different 556 mags ranging from pmag to hk mags. I tried using the search feature but couldnt find it.
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum SETHUSMC311, and thank you for your service. You can use 5.56 magazines with ten or so rounds in them and they work fine, even plastic magazines. I am in North Texas.

Comment

• kevperro
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2017

The E-landers are what I was told to buy. I picked up three of them from Alexander Arms but none of them stay in either of my lowers very well. I have to slap them pretty hard to get them to seat.

I have no problem with the Magpul 30 rounders using the same lowers. Wish Magpul would make a 6.5 Grendel magazine.

Comment

• SETHUSMC0311
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2017

Thanks guys for the response! What part of NT are you in? im down in galveston but my family has a ranch up in centerville.Thank god i dont need to get all new mags for it.

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

E-landers and the C-products defense mags have been 100% reliable for me. Midway has e-landers for sale and brownells has CPD.

Comment

• SETHUSMC0311
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2017

Follow up question. does the 6.5 grendel require a BCG that is dedicated to that or does it use a 556 bcg with a different bolt and or extractor?

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

The 6.5 Grendel uses the same carrier as the 5.56/223 but as you said just a 6.5 Grendel specific bolt.

Most AR-15 mags are difficult to seat when loaded especially to full capacity. I have a 24 round E-Lander, a couple of 17 rounders and one 10 round E-Lander. The E-Lander 6.5 Grendel magazines function improves a lot with use. When I buy new 6.5 Grendel mags I load them to capacity and let them stay loaded till I take them to the range. Odin Works sell CPD 6.5 Grendel mags as do a couple other vendors. I've bought ASC 6.5 Grendel mags from 44mag.com and Brownell's. Brownell's has switched inventory a couple of times and I'm unsure which magazine Brownell's currently stock for the 6.5 Grendel.
              Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-01-2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

Vascar is correct. I will add

be Sure to get the correct bolt for your barrel.

6.5 Grendel - .136 head space

7.63x39 - .125 head space some manufacturers use this bolt
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Lastrites
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

Both of the above are correct, but I will add;
                  6.5 Grendels come in both .136-preferred and .125-not preferred by most.

So the end game is a barrel with a SAAMI chamber and .136 bolt plus dedicated 6.5 mags. The industry is awash with varying terminology and it takes a bit to sort out.

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

I am about 12 miles south of the Red River, east of Sherman, Tx. As stated earlier, you need to make sure the bolt and barrel are for the same chambering. You should have no problems using the rest of the Milspec parts out of an AR15 in a Grendel build. You will find the Grendel to be a superb PIG cartridge.

Comment

• TexasEric
                      Unwashed
                      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                      Both of the above are correct, but I will add;
                      6.5 Grendels come in both .136-preferred and .125-not preferred by most.

So the end game is a barrel with a SAAMI chamber and .136 bolt plus dedicated 6.5 mags. The industry is awash with varying terminology and it takes a bit to sort out.
                      Thank you for this. I discovered this cartridge about a couple weeks ago. I already want to build one.

Does anyone make translucent mags for Grendel, like Lancer and Magpul? I am also assuming the .136 bolt will last longer than the 1.25 bolt, correct?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

The extractor design is better on a .136 bolt but I really think longevity of the bolt depends as much on quality marerial and manufacture. I chose the .136 bolt and SAAMI chambered barrels and I like them. Other people report good results with .125 bolts, why I say quality might be the determining factor.

Comment

Working...
                        X