• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Grendel Humor compliments of a Cream S'more guy

So I pull up to the range today. There's a guy on the far end am AR of some sort with his chrono way to close to his muzzle. Best I stay away from him. There's someone else in the spot I would normally set up at so I decide to just do prone off to the side of the firing line. I start with my 223 and work my way through 20 rounds from 360 to 550 all the while the AR guy on the end is repeatedly banging the 6" at 200. I'm a little frustrated because the wind is highly variable from 5-15 mph. I did pretty well on the 450 but was missing on both sides of the 10" at 550

I switch to my 22" Grendel, put it on my mat and get up to load,some mags. AR guy asks for a cold range and walks by my spot. "Hey, is that a 223" No it's a 6.5 Grendel. He heads down range and I grab some targets. He hangs by the backstop as a staple a few up.

"So is that like a 223 that takes a 6.5 bullet? I'm shooting 6.5 Creedmoor"
    No, actually, it's completely different than 223. Has a fatter higher capacity case. I can show you one
    "At what distance are you going transonic with that?"
    (Well that's an odd question - wouldn't someone first ask about velocity and bullet weight?)
    I think it's around 1100 yards with the load I'm shooting. Not a concern with any target here

We get back to the firing line and I show him a round
    "It looks like a baby Creedmoor. What did they do? Cut down a 6.5 Creedmoor and make it smaller so it could fit in an AR-15?"
    No actually, it's a completely different design. In fact, it was designed before 6.5 Creedmoor
    "What sort of velocity are you getting?"
    I'm pushing a 123 grain scenar at 2550
    "I'm shooting 120 grainers at 3100 fps. Couldn't miss the 900 yard target today. Just kept on hitting it.
    (I didn't get a good look at his rifle but his barrel was no more than 20")
    (I may be off, but I would venture that a 900 yd shot with a 120 grainer from a Creedmoor isn't going to be any easier than a 550 yd shot with a 69 gr SMK at 2915)
    Why are you shooting 120s instead of 123s for ranges like that?
    "Because I have a whole bunch of them"
    Have you tried the 140s? That looks,to be where Creedmoor shines
    "Yeah I've been looking into them. It seems like they lose a lot of their velocity in the first 1000 yards, but then they just keep going out to 2000
    (While chatting, I had pulled out my Kestrel and just held it up)
    "What's that?"
    A kestrel
    (Blank stare)
    It measures wind speed. Seems to be all over the place today. What sort of values were you holding for at 900? I can never get a good handle on the prevailing wind up there
    (Blank stare)
    "So I was up in Rangely with my son and I was letting him shoot my Creedmoor. We were shooting ground squirrels from 550 yards and just kept hitting and anilalating them. He was having so much fun I just said keep on shooting"
    (It's pretty desolate up by Rangely (NW corner). There may be a ground squirrel or 2 but it's infested with prairie dogs......)

Where do these guys come from?
    Let's go Brandon!
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Texas.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

They are the ones that we ask to leave. If they can't take the hint then we ask 'em to run for congress.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
        Warrior
        • Aug 2015

You're a much nicer guy than I. I tend to make a call based on my very first glance of whether I want to enter into a conversation with one of "those guys." My conversation would have probably been something like:

Him - Is that a .223?
        Me- No it's a 6.5. Sorry, I need to get back to shooting so I'm not late for dinner.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Originally posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
          You're a much nicer guy than I. I tend to make a call based on my very first glance of whether I want to enter into a conversation with one of "those guys." My conversation would have probably been something like:

Him - Is that a .223?
          Me- No it's a 6.5. Sorry, I need to get back to shooting so I'm not late for dinner.
          I tried! I let him get to the 100 yard board before I started heading downrange. He was on his way back when I passed him and he just glommed on and I couldn't shake him. Besides, I'm going to run for the Board at the end of the year so I have to be nice - and then i'm going to institute a rule that any 6.5 Cream S'more guy who talks about shooting 900 yards will be forced to demonstrate that they can actually hit it or otherwise have their membership temporarily suspended.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• ah1whiskey
            Warrior
            • Sep 2015

cream-smhores? sounds like something the scouts would do with marshmellows--

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Nothing wrong with being friendly at the range, unless you're on the clock.

6.5Cm with a 120gr going 3100fps from a 24" is 100fps faster than Hornady's max loads in their 9th Edition.

From a 20", you're way past the safe working pressure of the cartridge, easily into over 65,000psi.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
              X