• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grendelshooter
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Grendel dies-my head is spinning!

Howdy all.
    I've reloaded pistol rounds before, all 9mm or 45acp. I just used Lee dies on my Lee progressive and pumped out good rounds at a good pace.

Getting into rifle loading with the grendel though has my head spinning. There are so many options out there and frankly I don't understand all the jargon.

I'll be using an old school Herters single stage press (my old man got it in the 70's, damn thing is so heavy duty you could use it as an anvil). I won't be using my Lee progressive.

I've got a pound each of IMR 8208 XBR and CFE 223, a mix of 123gr SMK, AMAX, and nosler CC coming to experiment with. Lapua brass and CCI primers en route as well.

All I need are dies, but for the life of me I can't decide which. Some sets have two dies, some three. Some have micrometer bullet seating dies some don't, etc etc.

Right now I'm leaning toward hornady dies with the Lee factory crimp die (I do want a good crimp). Am I giving anything up going this way?
  • Redomen
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

From what I've read there is no need to crimp these. I am getting stuff together to start reloading some as well. I'm sure others will chime in with more experience. I purchased the standard Hornady die set myself.

Comment

• Motorhead
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2016

I would recommend buying the best dies you can afford for what you want to do with the rifle. You use the same principals to load the 6.5 as with your pistol you just might make more effort to get the exact same charge, bullet seating and so forth. I'm using the Lee set which is about as cheap as they come but I don't mind checking and re checking everything. Consistency is key to accuracy. I crimp my hunting loads because I hike miles with lots of shaking and bumping, but not target loads. There should be enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place but that also depends on the rifles weight and how steady you can hold it. I have gotten real accurate results with my lee dies though. It just depends how much time you want to spend readjusting and rechecking so everything is consistent.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

You only need a two die set - a full size sizing die and a seating die. the 3 die sets usually have a neck sized which is for bolt guns only. If budget allows, it is worthwhile to look at the Redding or Forster dies with the micrometers. I use the Reddings on a couple of other calibers but Redding didn't make it for Grendel when I was in the market, so I went with the Forsters. I think I saw on this forum that Redding started or will start to make a micrometer die for Grendel.

The micrometer makes set up a lot easier. Take a measurement of your OAL when you begin to setup and you can dial right down to your target instead of guessing how far down to go. Once your where you need to be, I've found no straying. Since you adjust seating depth by turning the top of the die as opposed to the RCBS and Hornady systems where you need to (attempt to) lock the setting every time you adjust it, I've never had the setting come loose like it always seems to happen with my Hornady or RCBS dies. Once I'm set up and checked and rechecked I'm where I want it, I feel like I'm wasting my time when I check the length every 10 rounds or so. The setting just stays in place.

I've never,sat down with Reddings or the Forsters and said "I wish I hadn't spent the few extra bucks on these." With all of the time spent getting to the point where your about to pull the ram and seat the bullet, it's nice to have the confidence it's going to go exactly where you want it. I have sat down with my RCBS .223 dies (I do a lot of midrange practice with 223) and thought about upgrading to Reddings pretty much every time I use the seater.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• terrywick4
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

For the Grendel I use the Hornady new dimension dies and the hornady shell holder, there affordable and do a good job. They seem to hold a consistent seating on the bullets I reload. Whichever dies you choose be sure and bump the shoulder back on the Grendel they seem a lot more sensitive then any other round that I reload for. I size them and check them in the function gage prior to loading with primers, powder and bullets.

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

I started off with the Hornady new dimension dies for my Grendel, and still use the full length sizing die with NO complaints. However the seating die would give me inconsistent COAL with any kind of compressed loads.. I ran I to the same issues using the Hornady does in my 556 during compressed loads as well... something to do with their seating stem and the rubber washer I'm assuming.. tried hornady VLD seating stem with NO luck as well.

Started using a Redding seater and the problem vanished.

Comment

• Greg_R
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2017

I too am new to the 6.5 Grendel, but not new to reloading, having been reloading since the 1970's. I chose the RCBS 264 LBC dies. I am trying to understand how the RCBS dies can come out of adjustment if they are used correctly since the seater is locked into place by a lock nut which prevents any movement.

I crimp any rounds that are intended to be fired from a semi automatic rifle. The action of a semi automatic chambering a round is much more violent than a manually operated action. The crimp is just insurance to make sure I don't get bullet setback. A crimp can help to get better combustion as well.

My intents were to do the same as the OP, a set of Hornady New Dimension dies and a Lee FCD. But the RCBS dies were available, the Hornady had to be ordered. A bird in the hand.......

Comment

• FW Conch
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

It's never bad to have the best of equipment. But in this case, it depends on the level of accuracy that is expected. I am a bolt gunner that needs hunting accuracy, so I don't need any $100 dies, although I do appreciate them. I would like to see LEE make their neck sizing collet die for the Grendel.

From the feedback I have in countered, I think You would be happy with with Your original plan(the Hornady's and the LEE crimp die).

Unless You want to go for all out accuracy, and there's no end that rabbit hole :-)). My BIL has evolved through all of the top of the line dies, and now, only custom dies, that match his chamber will do. But dat ain't Me ;-)) !
                Last edited by FW Conch; 07-02-2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                  Warrior
                  • Jun 2017

Before starting this thread I didn't know anything about Forster dies or presses.
                  Now I think I'm in for a co-ax and set of dies lol. Short of going to a Dillon progressive it looks like the best thing going.

Comment

• Greg_R
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Grendelshooter View Post
                    Before starting this thread I didn't know anything about Forster dies or presses.
                    Now I think I'm in for a co-ax and set of dies lol. Short of going to a Dillon progressive it looks like the best thing going.
                    I am on a quest for a single stage as well. I have my choices narrowed to 3, the RCBS Summit, The Forster Co-ax, and the new MEC Marksman.

The want of a new press is a result of me closing to build the 6.5 Grendel. I will be forming brass from 7.62x39. I'm just too cheap to pay $30 for 50 pieces of Grendel brass when I can buy 500 pieces of 7.62x39 for less than $100. ($70 for my last bag of 500). I am using my RCBS JR 2 & 3 presses now, but have already replaced the handles on both of them due to bending. The Jr presses do not have compound linkage, but RCBS has the fix in the form of stronger handles, 9/16 block and handle vs 1/2. Plus I bought an Inline Fabrication ergonomic handle that increases leverage and may have been what I was looking for.

The Co-Ax has a weak handle as well, but give the devil his due, it was not intended for case forming.

The Summit, as massive as it is, is said to have leverage problems as well.

The Marksman is too new to have many reviews, so the jury is still out, but it seems to be the clear winner now.

All three of them have floating dies or shell holders to increase concentricity and are known to load wonderfully accurate ammunition. I once had the opportunity to watch several armorers load rounds for the rifle team. They were using the Co-ax presses.

For sheer strength and case forming, I should probably just get the Lee Classic Cast single stage press. It's arguably the strongest press available to consumers today.

Comment

• terrywick4
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

don't count out the rcbs rock chucker....

Originally posted by Greg_R View Post
                      I am on a quest for a single stage as well. I have my choices narrowed to 3, the RCBS Summit, The Forster Co-ax, and the new MEC Marksman.

The want of a new press is a result of me closing to build the 6.5 Grendel. I will be forming brass from 7.62x39. I'm just too cheap to pay $30 for 50 pieces of Grendel brass when I can buy 500 pieces of 7.62x39 for less than $100. ($70 for my last bag of 500). I am using my RCBS JR 2 & 3 presses now, but have already replaced the handles on both of them due to bending. The Jr presses do not have compound linkage, but RCBS has the fix in the form of stronger handles, 9/16 block and handle vs 1/2. Plus I bought an Inline Fabrication ergonomic handle that increases leverage and may have been what I was looking for.

The Co-Ax has a weak handle as well, but give the devil his due, it was not intended for case forming.

The Summit, as massive as it is, is said to have leverage problems as well.

The Marksman is too new to have many reviews, so the jury is still out, but it seems to be the clear winner now.

All three of them have floating dies or shell holders to increase concentricity and are known to load wonderfully accurate ammunition. I once had the opportunity to watch several armorers load rounds for the rifle team. They were using the Co-ax presses.

For sheer strength and case forming, I should probably just get the Lee Classic Cast single stage press. It's arguably the strongest press available to consumers today.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Originally posted by Grendelshooter View Post
                        Lol - this joint can be hazardous to your bank account! If your eyes are getting like mine, you'll appreciate the size of the Forster micrometer - that's a Redding Premium Micrometer on the left and a Forster Ultra Micrometer on the right. You can see the Forster alignment sleeve sticking out.

If you go the Forster die route, be sure to read the instructions. The expander ball is adjustable. It's supposed to be set low but mine came from the factory at the highest possible point. I set it up like I would have set up any other sizing die and I crushed the necks of quite a few pieces of brass before this forum helped me figure out what was going on.
                        Attached Files
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Greg_R
                          Unwashed
                          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
                          don't count out the rcbs rock chucker....
                          The Rock Chucker is a good one and entirely adequate, but the Lee Classic Cast is stronger and has a better primer disposal system. At least the non-bushing version does. The Hornady quick change bushing kit fits it if quick change dies are important to you.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                            Warrior
                            • Jun 2017

Hadn't heard of the MEC before but it's got a few advantages over the Forster: it's cheaper and it's in stock lol.

Comment

• Greg_R
                              Unwashed
                              • Jun 2017

I think the MEC is the way I will go. I like everything but the primer collection system. Because of the way my bench is built I would have to cut a section out of the facing of my bench. A problem easily fixed by a 4" press riser from Inline Fabricators.

Comment

Working...
                              X