X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clays23
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

I bought the lee set since it comes with the crimp die with good results but in my experience crimping isn't necessary for the Grendel and may decrease accuracy
    Joshua 1:9

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Greg_R View Post
      ...Because of the way my bench is built I would have to cut a section out of the facing of my bench. A problem easily fixed by a 4" press riser from Inline Fabricators.
      ^^^ This. I put one on my bench and it makes a world of difference, especially in bringing the throw handle of the presses up to a level my 6'2" frame appreciates. If bench real estate is at a premium, it also makes changing presses a snap.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Mad Charlie
        Warrior
        • May 2017

Originally posted by Grendelshooter View Post
        Before starting this thread I didn't know anything about Forster dies or presses.
        Now I think I'm in for a co-ax and set of dies lol. Short of going to a Dillon progressive it looks like the best thing going.
        Very Good Move!

Comment

• babue
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Grendelshooter View Post
          Before starting this thread I didn't know anything about Forster dies or presses.
          Now I think I'm in for a co-ax and set of dies lol. Short of going to a Dillon progressive it looks like the best thing going.
          You will never, ever regret buying one of the Co-Ax presses. Mine is 30+ years old and still works like new. Being able to change dies in a few seconds is as good as it gets. I use both top of the line Redding or Forester dies and you will not go wrong with either.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Here is a video comparing "cheap" Lee dies to expensive Hornady dies.

Sometimes you get more than you pay for.

Comment

• FW Conch
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

^ Yes! ^ I REALLY would like to see LEE make a collet die for the Grendel !

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I imagine you could full length resize if needed for semi-auto operation (bump the shoulder back) then run the same case through the collet die to align the neck.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  Here is a video comparing "cheap" Lee dies to expensive Hornady dies.

Sometimes you get more than you pay for.
                  Well, I'm going to have to throw the provisional BS flag, here. This is a single instance on the internet of someone getting worse results with proven dies than with the "cheaper' variety. After viewing this video, it took me a couple of days to get the time together to do my own "blind taste test".

I sized three Grendel cases with the Hornady New Dimension die, three with the Redding Type-S bushing die (no sizing ball), and three with a Lee collet crimping die to stand in for the neck sizer (the closest I have).

Both the Hornady and Redding dies produced cases which all had less than .001" of runout when measured on the RCBS Casemaster, same unit as used in the video. The Lee collet die produced cases which all had a bit over .001" of runout.

To get his Hornday die to give those results I suspect that the producer of that video:

A) chose a die which could have been dirty,
                  B) used a die which was worn, or
                  C) was sizing cases which had uneven wall thickness (remember, the sizing ball rounds out the inside of the case mouth, while the collet die rounds the outside).

YMMV.
                  Last edited by NugginFutz; 07-09-2017, 02:21 PM.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

I believe you are confusing a crimping die with a sizing die.
                    I guess any die manufacturer can make a bad die from time to time.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                      I believe you are confusing a crimping die with a sizing die.
                      I guess any die manufacturer can make a bad die from time to time.
                      No - I realize it's a crimping die. It operates on the same principle. That's why I ID'd it as a crimping die and mentioned that it was the closest thing I had in 6.5G.

Comment

• FW Conch
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

LEE doesn't make a collet die for the 6.5 Grendel, and I don't understand why, since they do make one for the 223.

Which case (chambering) die did You use for Your test ?

If LEE gets around to making a collet die for the Grendel, I will use it and ignore the concentricity gauge, because I have proven to Myself with other chamberings that the LEE collet dies produce accurate reloads.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
                          LEE doesn't make a collet die for the 6.5 Grendel, and I don't understand why, since they do make one for the 223.

Which case (chambering) die did You use for Your test ?
                          Again, I understand Lee makes no collet sizing die for 6.5G. I used their 6.5G crimping die as a surrogate. I am/was not as interested in proving how well a collet die works as I was in illustrating that the Hornady and Redding dies produce case necks that are at least as round and consistent as the those produced by the Lee die in that video.

Comment

• FW Conch
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2014

10/4 "N F"....I'm on the same page with You now...Thanks

After being a LEE supporter for decades, I must say I'm disappointed in the LEE full length Grendel sizing die. It is stretching My cases more than I care to tolerate. The cost of the Redding Type S is a big pill for Me to swallow.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
                              10/4 "N F"....I'm on the same page with You now...Thanks

After being a LEE supporter for decades, I must say I'm disappointed in the LEE full length Grendel sizing die. It is stretching My cases more than I care to tolerate. The cost of the Redding Type S is a big pill for Me to swallow.
                              I experienced the same trepidation about moving over to the Redding Type-S bushing dies. I figured that if I could reduce the case loss by 1/2, I could pay for the die and bushings on the first batch of 100 Lapua cases I sized with the Redding. Either way, the die has given me much greater control over neck tension now, and I can use different bushings for Hornady and Lapua brass so as to account for the thickness differences.

Comment

• LR1955
                                Super Moderator
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                                I experienced the same trepidation about moving over to the Redding Type-S bushing dies. I figured that if I could reduce the case loss by 1/2, I could pay for the die and bushings on the first batch of 100 Lapua cases I sized with the Redding. Either way, the die has given me much greater control over neck tension now, and I can use different bushings for Hornady and Lapua brass so as to account for the thickness differences.
                                NF:

Exactly! A major reason I recommend Redding bushing dies.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                                X