• Confederate
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2014

What causes case not fitting gauge?

Untitled.png
  • IceAxe
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

Without more data I would guess, case head expansion due to excessive pressure for the given case.

Comment

• terrywick4
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

is that sized with a 264 small base?

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Based on the amount of information provided, I would say that it is due to the case being bigger than the gauge.

For all we know, that could be an unsized case with a blown primer in a gauge meant for sized brass.....
        Last edited by StoneHendge; 07-04-2017, 04:56 PM.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Confederate
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

Seven times loaded Lapua brass in a Redding FL die. My thought is that I am over caming to much, is that possible? I have not adjusted to see if that is it yet, what say y'all? On about 50 pieces of brass, the will not fit into my case gauge as you can see and it is very troublesome. Overpressure I guess is a possibility too, I just never considered that after maxing load data tests a while back. They have been reloaded since then. Am I the only one to ever see this?

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

What barrel / chamber? Are you loading / shooting with more than just one chamber, or is all brass from only one barrel?
            Drifter

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

B
              Originally posted by Confederate View Post
              Overpressure I guess is a possibility too, I just never considered that after maxing load data tests a while back. They have been reloaded since then. ?
              Temperature change since you worked up the load?
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Confederate
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2014

Two different barrels, Sabre Defence and Precision Firearms. The PF is SAAMI and since the Sabre was built to Alex Arms specs I would think it is SAAMI even before it was SAAMI.

Comment

• Confederate
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2014

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                  B

Temperature change since you worked up the load?
                  I settled in on 28.1 8208 xbr and been shooting it for a while. Good angle on the temperature perspective though. I have a lot of rounds fired with CFE and BLC 2 but I never came across this issue with any of my reloads in any caliber. The only thing I can think of personally is the overcaming which I started doing a few months ago. That may not be it at all, just thought I would ask here since my neighbor didn't know and has been reloading for like 500 years.

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Confederate View Post
                    Two different barrels, Sabre Defence and Precision Firearms. The PF is SAAMI and since the Sabre was built to Alex Arms specs I would think it is SAAMI even before it was SAAMI.
                    Using brass that fits the gauge correctly, load and fire a few rounds in each, keeping the brass separated so that you can determine if one particular barrel is the culprit (which I believe you will).
                    Drifter

Comment

• Confederate
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                      Using brass that fits the gauge correctly, load and fire a few rounds in each, keeping the brass separated so that you can determine if one particular barrel is the culprit (which I believe you will).
                      Fantastic! That sir, I will do! I'll repost after this task is complete.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

I'm seeing the same thing.
                        What's going on? I've had this brass for a couple years and would lose maybe half a dozen cases per reload. Started with a 100 down to 50 after 8-10 reloads. This last time after resizing 44 won't go into my case gauge. All of these cases the web is .005-.006 oversize. I've had some split necks out of the previous 50 but the

Sabre barrel? Maybe.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2015

Do they fit after you resize?

Comment

• Confederate
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                            Okay, I finally got around to shooting both Sabre Defence 16 in and the Precision Firearms 18 in. This is what I shot:
                            15 rounds total in each barrel consisting of
                            5 129 gr SST factory from Alexander Arms (Lapua Brass)
                            5 123 gr Nosler CC factory from Precision Firearms (Lapua Brass)
                            5 123 gr AMAX factory from Hornady

So yes, this was the first time this brass has been fired. The same problem happened to the 5 pieces of 129 gr factory AA brass that was fired from the Precision Firearms barrel did not fit into the gauge.
                            So I went an additional step and took 5 pieces of AA marked brass, 5th time loaded, that did fit the gauge. Loaded them with 107 SMK's of 28.8 gr of 8208 and fired them from the Precision Firearms barrel. They all did not fit the gauge either.
                            WHAT NOW????

Comment

• Redraider
                              Warrior
                              • May 2012

What about Chrazy Chris's question? I don't think they are supposed to fit until AFTER resizing!

Redraider

Comment

Working...
                              X