• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Mytie View Post
    I've gotten rings like that on my brass from using a Lee chamfer tool. I can't tell in the picture. You've got me worried now. I just started my first 6.5 Grendel build. I ordered a ar-Stoner barrel from Midway. I've read that BCA makes the 24 inch Grendel barrel.
    These rings showed up after firing new factory SSTs. They were not due to reloading.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

I received a return mailing label from BCA and decided to return the barrel for a replacement. I hope the replacement shoots as well as the one I sent back. I only sent it back because I was hoping it may be easier ejecting rounds without stripes. If I hunt deer with the Grendel it must be manually operated in Pennsylvania, at least for now.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

IMG_20170725_112021 (Medium).jpg
        Locktite Blue coverage on barrel extension.
        IMG_20170725_112138 (Medium).jpg
        Brownells barrel installation rod after pounding out barrel with 22oz framing hammer using installation tool as removal tool. I didn't think I could hurt it significantly.
        IMG_20170725_113859 (Medium).jpg
        Boreoscope inspection camera of chamber. I really didn't get a good view of the grooves in the chamber. This is really an inspection camera to view in walls for construction since the head is too large to fit in a chamber. Funny it is called borescope.

I will post updates after I receive an replacement barrel. BCA has really stepped up to the plate in resolving this problem as others here have mentioned about Alexander Arms and other venders. I will definitely order another dual charging upper and other parts from them. I am thinking 20" Grendel to go with my 16" and 24" Grendels. Four inches seems significantly different.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

By the looks of your Brownells rod it sure seems that blue lock-tite was holding on for dear life.

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I tried hitting the exterior of the barrel with a 2x3 but it would not budge. Maybe I should have tried the 2x3 on the Brownells rod but I thought I needed the hammer.
            It took quite a few hits to get it moving and even more after it was halfway out to free it. I would say it was essentially one with the receiver.
            I heated it with a hair dryer before trying anything else. I don't know if it helped or not. I scraped most of the locktight off with a knife before taking it to the UPS store.

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

I used my heat gun to melt the loctite. Took about 5 minutes and it bumped out easily.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Your experience mirrors mine with one I did several years ago. Helped friend put upper together, applied the blue Lt, and he went on his merry way. Only to discover later his chamber wasn't correct so it had to come apart and go back to the manufacture. It took a big freaking hammer to get it apart and heat was applied prior to attempt. It did not just come right out after one to two smacks with the hammer. It was an ARP barrel which was the cause of some drama, oh I digress, lol.

These days I prefer to assemble without blt and test drive for mostly function, then if no issues surface break it down and do whatever mod's to it and reassemble.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

The Brownell's tool made it easy. Without it I would be searching for or whittling a wood rod to hammer on.
                  Maybe more heat would have made it fall out but I was not sure about tempering aluminum.
                  Many people leave out details when describing these operations requiring someone to figure it out for themselves.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Today, I shot a 1.3 MOA 5 shot group with my new BCA 16" barrel using factory AMAX.

It is getting better as I shoot it more. It has about 50 rounds of Wolf steel through it.

My striped BCA barrel had the same pattern of getting better as more rounds were fired through it.

Comment

Working...
                    X