• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Txquadhunter
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

18" RLGS buffer?

I've done a search. But, nothing fully answered my question.

I've got an BA 18" SPR barrel on the way, it's got a Rifle length gas system. I'm not sure which buffer setup to go with? I do have a spare Carbine butter kit already.

do i go with my Buffer kit with a stanard or adjustable gas block or do i go with a rifle tube, spring and buffer with standard or adjustable gas block?

I don't ever plan to use a suppressor

I'm disabled that uses adaptive equipment to hunt, so I'm looking to tame down recoil as much as possible. I use a AR308 now. The recoil don't bother me, but, it does bounce adaptive shooting rig all over the place. Which you can see in this video, how the recoil throws my sighting aid out of whack. I've done some modifications to my adaptive rig to get alot of the shacking to go away. now it's time to tame the recoil some

Last edited by Txquadhunter; 07-04-2017, 08:20 PM. Reason: left video link out
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I'm using a JP silent buffer thingy with an 18" BA barrel (rifle length gas) with standard (non-adjustable) gas block. SST and Fusion factory loads ejecting nicely at ~4 o'clock, which is similar to my 223 uppers with 18" RLGS barrels on the same lower. My initial impression is that BA got the port size correct. Rough measurement on the gas port is somewhere between 0.090" and 0.095".
    Drifter

Comment

• Txquadhunter
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
      I'm using a JP silent buffer thingy with an 18" BA barrel (rifle length gas) with standard (non-adjustable) gas block. SST and Fusion factory loads ejecting nicely at ~4 o'clock, which is similar to my 223 uppers with 18" RLGS barrels on the same lower. My initial impression is that BA got the port size correct. Rough measurement on the gas port is somewhere between 0.090" and 0.095".
      thank you, Sir! I just looked into the JP SCS, that thing is pricey, I'm trying to keep the cost down, But if that's what it needs, I'll save a bit and get it.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

The JP setup isn't necessary; I was just trying to offer a point of reference.

I think a standard rifle buffer and spring, or a carbine buffer that's a notch or two heavier than standard, would each be satisfactory in their respective setups.
        Drifter

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Usually the rifle length gas on an 18" is a fairly soft shooter if the gas port is proper. Cost wise I'd likely try a heavier buffer spring with the carbine buffer or go with an adjustable gas block with a regular spring and carbine buffer.

What type of muzzle device do have on your rifle? A muzzle break or comp may help considerably in taming the jump more so than swapping the parts above, but it comes at a cost of concussion. For me I've been searching for the right mb or comp and wanting one where the concussion wave isn't ridiculous or weighs 4 or 5 ounces, haven't found the "one" yet though.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
            Warrior
            • Aug 2015

I would go with an adjustable gas block and tune it to whatever buffer you already have on-hand. Joe-bob's has the cheapest one I've seen, although I can't attest to how well it works. It's been my experience that the lower end ones tend to get carbon'ed up and can seem pretty "stuck" if you set it, shoot it for awhile, and then want to readjust later on down the line. This isn't a big deal if you're not drastically changing your load and you get it set right the first time. Just turn it nearly all the way down and load one in the mag at a time. Adjust it open until it locks back on an empty mag, and then give it another half turn or so for good measure.

If you want to play with heavier buffers later down the line I recommend getting the weights from KAK. They are about $7.50 apiece which seems a lot for just a little tungsten weight but it's much cheaper than buying a new T3 buffer or something like that.

Good luck!

Comment

• Txquadhunter
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2017

i think by what i'm reading, I'll stick with what I've got, instead of over thinking it by buying other components that i may not need. I can test, say that Jo Bob's adjustable gas block, if it functions great, i can always upgrade to better parts down the road.

As for my muzzle Device, i haven't fully decided on yet. But, I've been looking at the VG6 GAMMA for the 6.5's. The concussion don't so much bother me, as I've got a 22-250 with the BOSS system and a 25.06 with a brake, They both can rattle your ears, if not careful. But, I've learned, they can give me a better chance at a 2nd shot on 2 coyotes by not blowing the full muzzle blast forward.

But, like i said, I'm still working on building this rifle. So, things can chance as sales are found.

Thanks for all the great info, It gives me ways to go about my build now.

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

I too am looking hard at the VG6 Gamma, Granite Ridge Outfitters has it on sale for just under $62, but concussion is part of the equation that may make me to consider something else. Really want the Precision Armament EFAB but cost is a factor and it's price point sort of hurts.

Comment

• Txquadhunter
                  Unwashed
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                  I too am looking hard at the VG6 Gamma, Granite Ridge Outfitters has it on sale for just under $62, but concussion is part of the equation that may make me to consider something else. Really want the Precision Armament EFAB but cost is a factor and it's price point sort of hurts.
                  That's the exact reason I'm looking at it too. I was going to look into the Tuneable brakes like the one Ares Armor had " I quess they went out of Business" in hopes of tuning my needs. But, It'll come down to what I find at the right price point at the time

Granite Ridge Outfitters 25% off BA barrels is the reason why i bought my BA 6.5G barrel. It's my first BA product of any kind. What I've read on their 556 barrels, I figured it was worth a shot.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

For your specific needs, minimal disturbance of the sight picture seems to be a top priority.

With RLGS 18" Grendel even without a brake, it's going to be a big improvement over .308 for you.

A muzzle brake will only make it better, to the point where it will feel like shooting a .22LR but with 7mm Mag concussion.

I personally like the JP SCS, as it is very smooth and the action just slides like snot on polished glass. A standard carbine buffer in a carbine RET (Receiver Extension Tube) will work fine usually. I like H1 or H2 buffers in carbine tubes with a Mil-spec carbine spring, not an imitation spring that wears quickly like many on the market will.

Geissele just introduced a wound spring buffer spring and buffer kit which might be worth looking into.
                    Last edited by LRRPF52; 07-08-2017, 10:34 PM.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SightedIn
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2016

I prefer an H2 buffer on my 18" RLGS which is a JP barrel. I did notice reduced(perceived) recoil after I changed it from an H buffer. Sometimes I use a JP brake on it too and the combo makes recoil ridiculously tame.

Comment

• Txquadhunter
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2017

I picked up the VG6 Gamma today, They have it on sale for $50, What I've seen, that price was hard to beat.

Thanks for all the info, I'll look into all y'all have giving me and plan a route to take

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Griffin flash comp came in the mail today, sadly I'm few hundred miles away at the moment,lol.

Last edited by Lastrites; 07-14-2017, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2016

I have an 18" spr with rifle gas, and the gamma vg6. I run a standard buffer weight and an adjustable JP gas block. Fwiw i'm pretty sure the gas block is mostly open tuned for hornady black ammo. If I used anything less powerful it would need to be wide open.

Comment

• Txquadhunter
                              Unwashed
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jakegsxr11 View Post
                              I have an 18" spr with rifle gas, and the gamma vg6. I run a standard buffer weight and an adjustable JP gas block. Fwiw i'm pretty sure the gas block is mostly open tuned for hornady black ammo. If I used anything less powerful it would need to be wide open.
                              Thank you, Sir.

just to updated on my build,

Aero precision Upper/Lower
                              BA 18" RGLB
                              BA bolt
                              Seekins Adjustable gas block
                              VG6 6.5 Gamma comp
                              Carbine Buffer (for now)
                              Magpul ASC-Stock
                              15" keymod handgaurd
                              CMMG LPK (waiting on to come in)
                              it'll get my Timney 3.5lb trigger from my 556.

Look good or any changes needed?

Comment

Working...
                              X