• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LWP
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

Any comments on build please

DSA AR15 Match Series 6.5 Grendel Upper Receiver Assembly With 20" SS Barrel Is this a decent complete upper for a first build? Any and all comments welcome. Thanks. I was really looking for a 22" or 24" complete upper
  • LWP
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

The more I look at everything that comes in this complete upper the better it seems. I don't think that I really need a forward assist.DSA AR15 Match Series 6.5 Grendel Upper Receiver Assembly With 20" ...
    Item #: ZM4CBU2065GRENDEL-A
    Price: $599.95 Seems to be a good deal. Just wish it were a 22" or 24" Odin barrel with this upper. Any comments.https://www.dsarms.com/p-16633-dsa-a...ss-barrel.aspx
    Last edited by LWP; 07-05-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• Greg_R
      Unwashed
      • Jun 2017

I think it's a fine upper. Lots of quality parts. I like Odin Works.

I agree with you on the forward assist. It's not needed. I'll catch a lot of flack for saying that though. Outside of training, I have never used a FA, even when I was active in the Corps. For a combat rifle I can see it just for the insurance factor. A sporting rifle? If the round doesn't chamber I'm not going to force it in, I'm taking it out! Also look at your target rifles. Most of them are slick sided.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

I went all in on an Odin 16" complete upper and it not having a FA was a plus for me, generally not needed and actually can be a cause of function issue although rare. I too thought it was a decent deal at that price point but naturally a month later they had a sale a knocking the price down by $25. No issues with the chamber and seems to shoot well, need to put a few more rounds down range, am considering a muzzle swap but haven't found the one yet that balances concussion report, flash signature and cost. Yes cost for me is an issue as I am putting kids through the swamp (college).

Comment

• LWP
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2017

Thanks Greg_R, I agree !00% 0n FA. I"m not really at battle with a paper target or steel for that matter. Even though it does fell like they can move sometimes before my bullet gets there.I appreciate your input. And also thanks Lastrites for yours as well, I"m thinking of the http://www.opticsplanet.com/odin-wor...mpensator.html for the Odin barrel. Not a bad price through Optics Planet and if I act now I think that I can get an extra 10% off. I"ll have to go back and look at it again. I do like the idea of the locking nut system so that I can time it myself. The only thing that I wish that this complete upper had was a little longer barrel, 22" or 24". I'm not a speed hog, but I just want as much as I can with out pressure. And still have great accuracy so that little 6.5 can buck the wind as best that it can. Thanks again guys for your comments.

Comment

• Ditcher
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

DSA Arms uppers are pretty nice for the price. I also agree on the FA being useless.
            Only thing I'm not crazy about on the DSA Arms build is the cuts on the top of the receiver.

Comment

• LWP
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

I did some looking for a Odin upper (in a complete upper), but was only able to find a complete upper with a FA.http://www.opticsplanet.com/odin-wor...-receiver.html and it does come with an adjustable gas block for $809.10 with the 4th of July discount. Not sue if it's billet or not?

Comment

• LWP
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2017

What's the difference between a M-LOK and a KeyMod forend?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Taste - one tastes like chicken, and the other like bananas.

Seriously, though, one is a design advanced by MagPul (M-LOK) and the other (KeyMod) was advanced by Noveske Rifleworks. Looking at two hand guards in the picture, below, you can see why one is called KeyMod (for the "keyhole" shaped mounting slots).

Both standards are designed to allow slimmer forends, and permit the builder to only mount accessories where needed.

IMG_2149_zpsqfkftt9y.jpg

I like the aesthetics of the M-LOK, but prefer the mounting system of the KeyMod. It all comes down to taste, in my opinion.

Fried Chicken, anyone?
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LWP
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2017

That works for me thanks NugginFutz. After I posted that question I thought to see what my RPR was and it's a KeyMod piece of Fried Chicken so if I do decide on the Optics Planet complete upper I'll get http://www.opticsplanet.com/odin-wor...-receiver.html Thanks again and also do you have a comment on this complete upper?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

I've heard nothing but good reports from people buying ODIN works Grendel barrels. That particular upper seems to be a good blend of features, including an extended charging handle, adjustable gas block, MLGS, Type II bolt and, not to say the least, a SAAMI chambered barrel with a 1 MOA guarantee.

For $900, it appears to be a solid value.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LWP
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2017

What's different about the cuts?

Comment

• LWP
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2017

Thanks NugginFutz for the input, and the question about the cuts was in reference to Ditcher response.

Comment

• LWP
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2017

So NugginFutz which one of these three would you choose.https://www.dsarms.com/p-16633-dsa-a...ss-barrel.aspx http://www.opticsplanet.com/odin-wor...ver-ybasr.html 20" with KeyMod or https://media.midwayusa.com/producti...115/115064.jpg And if anyone has a vote please chime in. Thanks

Comment

• Lastrites
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2017

Since I seem to be cash weary I would likely go with the DSarms and save the $300. You should take a look at the VG6 Precision Gamma 65 muzzle brake which is both performance and cost effective at about $70, rated really well in the muzzle brake shootoff. Personally I am bouncing back and forth on the VG6 and a comp from Griffin which is about $30 more but likely doesn't have has much concussion that most brakes have in common, both of which are one piece units that have zero potential of coming apart at the wrong time.

Comment

Working...
                              X