AA 16" Lite Barrel or BA 16" Hanson Barrel - What would you choose and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ActionDiver
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

AA 16" Lite Barrel or BA 16" Hanson Barrel - What would you choose and why?

I am building this as my do it all hunting rifle for deer, pigs, and hopefully elk (300 yards likely max), but still want to shoot targets at out to hopefully 1000 yards in the future. I've used a 308 AR previously and it is a heavy pig.

I'm not opposed to an 18" barrel, but thick woods and weight are a drain as I tend to cover A LOT of ground, especially in the mountains. It seems the 16" barrels are within 40-60 FPS of the 18" so I think for me the trade off it worth it.

I like that the AA Lite barrel is fluted, but with an overall thicker profile for rigidity before the gas journal, and lists as being about the same weight as compared to the BA barrel at 1.74 pounds VS 1.7 pounds.

Do you think one is more apt to shoot more accurately than the other? The AA is a bit more affordable, likely stiffer, and I like fluted barrels. The BA has a MOA guarantee.
    Alexander Arms 16" Lite
    0%
    Ballistic Advantage 16" Hanson
    0%
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I have the aa barrel and it shoots sub moa with factory hornady eld-m at 2450fps +-. I really like it and don't think you can go wrong with it. You might want to call and see if they are in stock though. I had to wait about 6 weeks to get mine but i was not in a hurry.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Honestly I don't think you can really go wrong with either.. between those two, I would probably go with the AA, due to price and twist rate. (Really don't like the thread pattern though).

Don't overlook the Odin Works 16" ultralight either! It is also SAAMI spec chamber and 1:8 twist with moa guaranteed. It is also a ILGS, which I prefer over the MLGS, and comes with a tunable gas block and gas tube. For $400 you also get a complete BCG and .136 Bolt. Mine has been an absolute shooter, doing an honest moa with Hornady Black, and even better with my 8208 handloads!

Comment

• ActionDiver
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2017

I'm going to go with the AA I think.

Comment

• ActionDiver
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2017

I've got the Aero Precision builders set on the way in last months burnt bronze woodland camouflage. Getting excited for this build.

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by ActionDiver View Post
            I've got the Aero Precision builders set on the way in last months burnt bronze woodland camouflage. Getting excited for this build.
            That will be a sweet build! Congratulations!
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

Not sure what parts you already have but this is a pretty good kit they offer.

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

Nevermind, you posted you bought some aero stuff at the same time i was typing the kit

Comment

• 41bear
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

The BA barrels are now offered by both of these guys at a great reduction in price along with free shipping.

GraniteRidgeOutfitters

Monmouth

So I wouldn't let price be the deciding factor.
                  "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• ActionDiver
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2017

The poll has spoken, I'll go Alexander Arms. Now to get all the parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X