Need help with a build, please assist this newb with choices.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hartman23foscari
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2017

Need help with a build, please assist this newb with choices.

So Ive been putting together list of parts im going to use to put together a 6.5 grendel hunting manual action only side charger (yes I know that makes it kinda not an ar but I have reasons)

Gist of what im trying to accomplish further:
    Quiet as can be action when riding bolt forward
    As accurate as possible for deer killing (mmm meat that isnt upset by a wound before death)
    As easy to use for me as possible based on the fact I run aks

So far:
    Parts Ordered:
    Barrel: X Caliber Specs below
    Configure Your Custom AR-15 Barrel
    Barrel Steel: 416R Stainless Steel
    AR-15 Chambers: 6.5 Grendel Type II .136"
    Caliber & Twist Rate: (6.5mm) .264 1:9 Twist 6 Groove
    AR Barrel Length: 22" [+$20.00]
    AR Gas System: Mid Length
    AR 15 Contours: AR 15 Heavy .980, .875, GB, 850
    AR-15 Muzzle / Crown: 5/8"-24 (.243-.358)
    Finish: Matte [+$15.00]
    AR 15 Fluting: Thermal Fluting Rifle Length HBar or Heavier [+$250.00] (luckily they have a refund discount going on atm so getting 76% back)
    Cryogenics: Cryo [+$80.00]

Parts Decided on (unless people have reason good reasons for otherwise):
    Fully Adjustable Carbine Buttstock assembly to mount to a carbine rifle (6-positions mil-spec or commercial tube) – This is our carbine stock Additional 1″ height on cheek rest 3-axis Adjustable Butt Plate Assembly extends additional 1 1/16″ length of pull and includes the following movement: Horizontal for linear adjustment (i.e. length of pull) Vertical for a perfect butt plate fit into the curvature of the shoulder. Lateral adjustment for a ½ inch left or right cast This butt plate assembly is interchangeable with the original MBA-1 Buttstock Includes a Picatinny Rail on the bottom rear of the Stock Body to attach your choice of many accessories. Designed a flat bottom index set screw (10-24) to eliminate that constant rattle of carbine collapsible buttstock. This also allows you to secure the stock in your favorite position. The Black Luth AR MBA-3 comes with a medium soft rubber recoil pad, Duro 85. The FDE Luth AR MBA-3 comes with a FDE hard butt plate as a pad. A Black medium soft rubber recoil pad is available for additional purchase. The Luth AR MBA-3 weighs roughly half that of comparable stocks coming in at just 18.5 ounces. Fits all .223 and most .308 AR carbine style rifles Super Strong Glass Filled Nylon Easy to replace and quick to install Uses 4 out of the 6 positions on a mil-spec or commercial tube

Hopefully the best stock to help with accuracy and not weight a ton

Hopefully to help quiet the action a bit

In the 13.5" Since it should hopefully look good short with that long barrel and give it an almost barret look?

Parts Decided on style but not exact piece (parts I need help picking out):
    Some kind of linear compensator as when hunting none of us use hearing protection

A drop in trigger group with 4ish# pull and 1mm or less uptake before the glass break

Side charging upper. I am caught between a Mega and an Eisen. I thought I had decided on Eisen but then I found Mega which is slightly thicker and thus stronger. Which should I pick? Or another? (I want reciprocating )

Parts I need fully help deciding on:
    Lower, Needs to fit perfectly to the side charger chosen, I am a southpaw so ambi or left friendly is prefered. Also if I can get it customized with an engraving, even better. Serial number would be icing.

Whatever small parts I need still?

Bolt and bolt carrier pieces and whatnot (again trying for smooth and quiet) also this would need to be one that will work with either mega or eisens side charging

Not sure what other parts there are past this? My first ar after all
    Last edited by hartman23foscari; 07-07-2017, 09:04 AM. Reason: update I
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

I put together a more inexpensive version of a side charging Grendel in anticipation of deer hunting in Pennsylvania but after clearing all legislative hurdles I heard hunters did not want semi-autos used for deer hunting. Fools. I posted about my build all over this site 65grendel.com . The main problem I had with manual operation was the need to mortar the rifle to eject the spent case. This may have had something to do with my striped chamber. I did see in England they use manually operated AR style rifles and have a camming bolt handle to give primary extraction. Another factor to consider with the rifle is it should be plainly obvious that it is manually operated, like a visible gas port with no gas block. This eliminates having your "semiauto" confiscated and having to go to court to get it back. I shot with no gas block and my carbon fiber handguard installed and it left a powder burn but didn't burn a hole through it.

Comment

• hartman23foscari
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
      I put together a more inexpensive version of a side charging Grendel in anticipation of deer hunting in Pennsylvania but after clearing all legislative hurdles I heard hunters did not want semi-autos used for deer hunting. Fools. I posted about my build all over this site 65grendel.com . The main problem I had with manual operation was the need to mortar the rifle to eject the spent case. This may have had something to do with my striped chamber. I did see in England they use manually operated AR style rifles and have a camming bolt handle to give primary extraction. Another factor to consider with the rifle is it should be plainly obvious that it is manually operated, like a visible gas port with no gas block. This eliminates having your "semiauto" confiscated and having to go to court to get it back. I shot with no gas block and my carbon fiber handguard installed and it left a powder burn but didn't burn a hole through it.
      Thats why my barrel doesnt have a port period

Comment

• SightedIn
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

I converted one of my ARs to a manually side charged a few months ago. I used a BCA(Bear Creek Arsenal) side charge upper receiver. It works really well. It was pretty inexpensive too, around $200 for reciever and that included a BCG too( have to source your own bolt though, I used a JP bolt I had already). It made the rifle lighter since you can ditch the gas block,gas tube, and buffer. It manually cycles fine except when I use extra hot loads. I don't have to motor them out but on occasion I do have to bang the side charge pretty good with the side of my fist to eject.
        As for the lower I use Andersons a lot but they're not billet. It does fit perfect with the BCA upper still though.

Comment

• hartman23foscari
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by SightedIn View Post
          I converted one of my ARs to a manually side charged a few months ago. I used a BCA(Bear Creek Arsenal) side charge upper receiver. It works really well. It was pretty inexpensive too, around $200 for reciever and that included a BCG too( have to source your own bolt though, I used a JP bolt I had already). It made the rifle lighter since you can ditch the gas block,gas tube, and buffer. It manually cycles fine except when I use extra hot loads. I don't have to motor them out but on occasion I do have to bang the side charge pretty good with the side of my fist to eject.
          As for the lower I use Andersons a lot but they're not billet. It does fit perfect with the BCA upper still though.
          Does the jp help quiet up the action?

Comment

• SightedIn
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by hartman23foscari View Post
            Does the jp help quiet up the action?
            The bolt was originally headspaced to the barrel used(18" JP barrel), so yes its very smooth.
            The noisiest part of the action is the spring, like any AR,but i typically dont ever ride bolt forward manually. I just pull back and charge a round before i start trekking into the hunt zone. You could always buy a silent spring but thats pricey just to use in a manual charge ar.

Comment

• hartman23foscari
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by SightedIn View Post
              The bolt was originally headspaced to the barrel used(18" JP barrel), so yes its very smooth.
              The noisiest part of the action is the spring, like any AR,but i typically dont ever ride bolt forward manually. I just pull back and charge a round before i start trekking into the hunt zone. You could always buy a silent spring but thats pricey just to use in a manual charge ar.
              How bad would it be to manually ride it down? When we park we are a stone toss (not throw) away from where deer could be hiding.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2013

If they can hear you charge your weapon, I'm sure they can hear you drive up.
                Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• hartman23foscari
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                  If they can hear you charge your weapon, I'm sure they can hear you drive up.
                  I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference. Same reason they don't scatter when they hear other noises that don't = death

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

I'm pretty sure they can tell the difference. Same reason they don't scatter when they hear other noises that don't = death
                    Hmm ok
                    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• SightedIn
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2016

How bad would it be to manually ride it down? When we park we are a stone toss (not throw) away from where deer could be hiding.
                      As fas sound? Well its gonna sound like any AR(or aks for that matter) being charged. I honestly dont recommend manually riding it foward on an AR type rifle. The feed ramps were not designed for it and unless your ammo is crimped( i only used use crimped in my manual AR) you run a high risk of pushing bullets back into cases. Trust me it happens.

If you really want that quiet of a hunting rifle your looking at a bolt action...

Comment

• hartman23foscari
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2017

eh ive heard loud bolts

Comment

• hartman23foscari
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2017

Hey all decided due to the expense of the build I am going to go with a professional builder since they will also do a custom serial number and maybe logo. Name of the place in using is wolf pack. Thank you all who helped. I'm probably going to wait until I buy a cheap parts kit and build myself a cheap kit for the experience.

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2017

Whether You build it or someone else, I would personally recommend a shorter and lighter profile barrel for hunting. Something like a 16" or 18" length, .85 to the GB, .75 from there forward, or lighter - no heavier than that! Keep the mid length gas system for a 16 or 18" barrel.

The barrel spec you describe is a bench rest target shooting barrel... 22" - .980, .875, GB, 850. Mid Length gas system should be Rifle length for a 22"! That's a monstrous thick heavy long friggin barrel to lug around the woods. Even if just to a stand and back out.

Sounds like you might be coming at things from a higher-end mindset than mine. I am pretty budget minded in all my builds. If you want a simple barrel check out ClassicFirearms.com (don't hesitate because of their name) and search for 6.5 grendel barrels. They sell Bear Creek Arsenal barrels at reduced prices. BCA would also be a good source direct too. They have very affordable side chargers and grendel bolts. I am using that in my 18" build. So I am a little biased.

I would just keep it a standard DGI side charger, but that is what I am building and what my state allows, so it's easy for me to say I guess. Good luck and enjoy the design/conceptualizing process. That is half the fun!

Comment

• js8588
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

I have the Mega. I like the Mega, but it is a SUPER tight fit (undesirably so) with most of my lowers. I recommend this one: https://www.rainierarms.com/lantac-u...pin-pre-order/ (I own 2).

I'm leaning towards an Eisenach for a 223/556 RECCE build I'm working on.

Logo free ambi lower? Copy that. https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...r&groupid=5379

BCG...I'd go either Nitride with Eisenach or Chromed with Young mfg. I've bought the latter (and will buy at least one more) and I will be buying the former.

Nickel Boron will eventually stain and/or chip.

DLC ionbond is the way to go on your bolt. Get the Alexander Arms. If you got the Young Mfg Heavy Wall, you wouldn't be disappointed there either.

Trigger: I bought the Elftmann Match. YMMV

Comment

Working...
                              X