• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Sporting Rifle Match, Raton NM - AAR

The main reason I am going with a 6.5 Grendel is to do some long range shooting under various conditions (not static) and terrain. Strictly recreational/stress releif therapy.

One of my many ventures down the YouTube rabbit hole brought me to the Sporting Rifle Match held every month (Feb - Sep) at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton NM.

10 stages, 6 targets per stage. Range 200 to 900 yards. 4 minutes to complete the stage, starting from a standing position, rifle in hand, bipod folded up. One shot per target, hit or miss, move on to the next target. You are given the range to each target prior to starting. It is implied that you shoot near to far, but you can shoot any order as long as you notify the RO at the stage. 9 of the 10 stages can be shot prone, but one stage you have to shoot over a pile of logs, so shooting sticks, tripod, or try your luck unsupported. All of the targets are 0* to 2* from horizontal, and width (FOV) ranged from 50 yards right to left, to probably over 300, some making you shoot right, left, right, left...so you are either really good, or you need to change up your shooting position every couple of shots. Current range record set last year is 59.

Back in the first week of January of this year I placed my order for a PF Neptune VIII. Was supposed to have it in time to shoot the match based on communications in May/June. No love. Upper still not completed , and I had already committed to the match (hotel, travel plans, time off work). So this trip turned into going strictly as a spectator.

The squad I ended up tagging along with was comprised of 4 shooters, 2 of which were retired professional team shooters, that do this strictly for fun. Awesome group of guys. One of which offered up his rifle (6.5x47 bolt) and 6 rounds to shoot one of the stages. I scored one hit at +/- 500 yards on a 2 MOA target. Considering the rifle was set up for him with a wicked short LOP put me in a less than comfortable shooting position, and forget about maintaining sight picture on the target during follow through to see the hit/miss. The other 5 were wind holdover that should have been another .25 mil, at least so I was told. Made my day right there, I had been chomping at the bit since the first stage.

I had brought my pack to see if I could hack the combined 2 miles of hiking through the terrain (still recovering from a broken Tib/Fib -left leg in 2016 - Atrophy and destroyed cartilage in the ankle sucks). Due to the range rules, I left my lower in the car keeping the MK12 upper for the weight, and had brought everything else I thought I might need, and just made mental notes of what everyone else was packing around. I am way over packed. Ears, Eyes, Kestrel, Water, Munchies, 60 rounds, 2 mags, tripod, boo boo kit and call it good.

Part of the contents was my Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP MRAD scope (patiently waiting for it's home), mounted to my tripod with the intent to practice ranging targets. I am now going to ditch one of my two spotting scopes now and buy another rifle scope. The ability to zoom in and out, plus the reticle allowing me to call hit/miss, and by how much in mils was awesome. I don't have the years behind the glass and watching to eyeball it.

All in all it was an absolutely awesome weekend, and I plan on making this a regular thing for me.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.
  • SDet
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2016

Unfortunate that you didn't have your rifle together. I'm planning on doing the team match in August and my only reliable long range rig is my 18" grendel. I've heard good things, so I'm excited.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting. One of these days I'm going to give a shooting event a try.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

I am shooting the AR15 match on the 5th, and the SPRM on the 6th, then the September match (last one for 2017).

I really looking forward to this. Wish I could get more practice in, but this coming work week is going to be brutal.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Armadillo66
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2017

I have shot at Whittington Range complex several times. My dad has been on the advisory council for the facility and we have been going there for many years.
          My favorite thing is to be there on a weekday morning, get the rifle silhouette range to ourselves, set up a bunch of silhouettes and start calling shots. I have done that many times with my Garand but recently sold my CMP Garand and so I hope the next time I go there I have a 6.5 up and running good.
          The accommodations are excellent and fair priced and pretty comfortable. The wildlife viewing is excellent, the ranges are well maintained and lots of different things you can set up for there.

Comment

• Viper
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2017

Very nice read, thanks. We have some similar competitions here in Italy, but for me, coming from static shotting only, it seems it takes way more knowledge all together just to avoid looking the dumbest guy on the range. Plus, I am not that good at shooting under time pressure, or making last secons adjustments. I understand nobody is born with all the required experience, but it would be great if you could gradually build it up and competition is not the best time to do it

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

This particular match is very low key and low pressure. No points, does not count for any regional yearly score, and if you win, depending on the number of participants, you might get slightly more than your entrance fee back.

I can't think of a better way to practice. Don't worry about what others think, pay just a little mind to the time, and watch everyone else to get an idea of what to do. If you are shooting in a like type of match, there will be someone who will talk with you, and likely help you.

The AR15 match that I shot, I got a 7 out of a possible 60. Next day I got a 13 on the regular match. The next match I shot a 21, but we got rained out on the last stage. The last match I shot a 34.

That was my whole goal, just simply do better the next time. Now my GF and her two daughters are going to shoot in this. The way they are going, they will probably out shoot me by the second match.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Brett
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2017

That does sound like a lot of fun.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Viper View Post
                  Very nice read, thanks. We have some similar competitions here in Italy, but for me, coming from static shotting only, it seems it takes way more knowledge all together just to avoid looking the dumbest guy on the range. Plus, I am not that good at shooting under time pressure, or making last secons adjustments. I understand nobody is born with all the required experience, but it would be great if you could gradually build it up and competition is not the best time to do it
                  Viper:

OK -- so what is holding you back from "gradually building up", as you say?

LR55

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

I shot that match at Raton one time a few years ago. It's a great shoot and good fun in an unforgiving sort of way. Mike Kohler was running the show. I think I got 22/60 using an SR25. Everyone in my squad got better scores and they felt sorry for me for shooting a semi auto in a calibre considered a handicap. They were also seasoned shooters with a lot of experience to pass on. Most guns were 6.5's Creedmore, 47's and 260Remingtons with a few 6.58*284. The guys from Thunderbeast were there shooting as well and using the opportunity to curry some sales. Most of the guns were suppressed bolt guns. If you get a good squad they will be friendly and helpful acting as spotters. You won't be competitive with the slower Grendel but it's all good fun and if there's another Grendel then you'll have some competition.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

I don't know that I would say, "Not competitive", but would agree I/we are handicapped. All of the new Horde (My AR, and the GF and her two daughters Howa Mini x3) is shooting .7 max, probably capable of closer to .5. No reason once we get more experience that 45 or better should be doable. That would put us in the top 15....But we are just there for the fun, and it is a lot of fun.

Might have just been lucky, but the winds have been pretty mild (rarely more than a full value) at the three matches I've done, except for that rain day.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                      X