• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewPewPachew
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

Hello from ND

Hello all, I've been in the process of building a Grendel for a few months now. In my searches for information, I keep finding myself directed here, so I figured I should join the forum.

I'm no expert in regards to rifles, but I'd like to think I'm not completely incompetent. The same can go for reloading. I am however a novice to commercial AR-15s, and grendels in particular. My experience is mostly with service rifles, and a handful of commercial ar's owned by friends that I have fired.

Already in my build, I encounter two problems.

1.) Companies should include paper directions. I bought an AA piston kit, and don't have a DVD player on my computer. Felt like an idiot struggling to put a bolt with gas rings in it.

2.)This one is actually a genuine problem. Most if the info I found regarding CPD magazines looked promising. The 28rd mags I bought, absolutely won't insert when loaded.
  • terrywick4
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

does load with less rounds in the mag? Just asking I have several mags that don't when full but take one or two out and they work fine.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum PewPewPachew! I have no experience with piston systems on AR-15's and in regards to the CPD mags. Will the mags fit into the mag well of your AR-15? Most new magazines are very difficult to lock in place when loaded to full capacity.

As the previous poster mentioned down loading a couple of cartridges helps to be able to lock a mag into the well. If the loaded mag will not fit into the mag well it is possible your lowers mag well is out of spec. It's also possible you got an out of spec mag body.

If you can't sort it out create a new post in the trouble shooting/ fix it yourself section. Include as much information as possible such as make of upper and lower, barrel/bolt manufacturer and type of gas system and butt stock. This forum has helped many members sort out the problem.

Comment

• PewPewPachew
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2017

The magazines fit perfectly when empty. Locking into place, and dropping free like I expect them to. As soon as 2 rounds are loaded, it feels like its a fully loaded mag, kinda sticky. 5 rounds and its way too sticky, beyond that it is outright difficult. As in beat it in with a mallet difficult. After closer inspection of the magazine, it seems there is excessive play between the two halves. I emailed CPD, but have yet to get a response.

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum PewPewPachew. You can use 5.56 magazines, just don't load more than 10 or so rounds.

Comment

• PewPewPachew
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2017

That's so horribly frustrating.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Greetings!

I've had great luck with the 5, 10, and 20 round CPD mags,l. Haven't tried the 28 rounder, but other members results have been less than promising thus far.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Welcome. I wouldn't know about 28 round magazines. They're so evil, I'm not allowed to have them
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                  X