• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twistedfisters
    Banned
    • Jul 2017

Trimech shim

Can anyone tell me about this shim? It's supposed to fit between the upper and lower on a ar15, and minimize jumping/shifting between the two.

Is it worth it?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Got a link? I did a search and came up with nothing.

I personally just match my lowers and uppers from a wide selection or buy higher-end ones from companies that make them tight.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Twistedfisters
      Banned
      • Jul 2017

Last edited by Twistedfisters; 07-10-2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• ActionDiver
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2017

I HATE the wobble!

Aero Precision lowers (Gen 2) come with a set screw that has a nylon tip that you can adjust to take the slack out. However, I have a few older lowers from a few different manufacturers so I bought a tap and drill combo and tapped all of mine and added a set screw. Scary at first, but I am glad I did.

Comment

• Twistedfisters
          Banned
          • Jul 2017

Yeah, I hate wobble as well. So I ended up getting this, and it worked pretty well. Did almost what they said to do. Just kinda finished it in the receiver, because it just worked out better that way.

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

I got the accuwedge. It works great and is like $4

Comment

• RNRoad
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

Tried several other shim products including making my own but settled on the oversized MicroFit take down pins from JP Enterprises.

Fixed the wobble in both my accuracy rigs. No special tools required and nothing to get lost in the receiver.

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Many moons ago I bought a PSA blem lower, blem turned out to be the finish as it had a purple tint to it which didn't sit well with me. The fit bwtn the upper and lower wasn't bad with just a bit of expected wobble. Decided to paint both the upper and lower with Aluma Hyde-II FDE, stripped them down and taped up certain internal spots but left the take down lugs exposed. Four light coats later and what a difference in the fit bwtn the upper and lower, almost zero wobble. Now it's time to source a barrel which is painstakingly difficult as I can't decide bwtn a 12.5" or 20" pipe.

Comment

• Twistedfisters
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2017

That's pretty interesting.

I wonder if getting the lower refinished with cerakote might work as well?

Comment

• Lastrites
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

Cerakote may but it does go on really thin compared AHII, I have noticeable scrape marks on the uppers lug and the take down pin hole are differently a bit tighter due to the paint as the pins don't slide as freely although the front is much easier than the rear. For me sorta of a bonus as I prefer it a bit tight as I would assume most would.

Comment

Working...
                    X