• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewPewPachew
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2017

First AR build, is a Franken-build

Hey all, as you might guess from the tittle, my first AR build, and my first grendel is a mish mash of parts.

Few of them make sense, most where too much money, but its what I wanted.

Starting from the bottom up:
    -Battle Arms Development lightweight billet lower.
    -Elfman Tactical 3 gun trigger w/ flat shoe
    -V Seven ambit selector
    -V Seven mag release and bolt catch
    -Maxim Defense CQB stock, with JP heavy SCS.
    -Magpul Grip

Top end:
    -Gibbz side charging upper with fa and dustcover.
    -V Seven ti bolt carrier
    -Young Mfg heavy wall chrome bolt
    - Adams Arms XLP mid length kit.
    -And finally, an 18.5" handguard from Vella, that has suffered a terrible fate. It was thoroughly "bubba'd" by yours truly, after failing to remember "measure twice, cut once". Courtesy of a dremel. All for the sake of piston and gb clearance.

Right now, I'm currently waiting on an 18" barrel from classic. The reason I went cheap there, is I'm horribly impatient, and would like to shoot this rifle some time this year. No sense in wasting lots of money on a temporary fix. I really want to have a custom barrel from Bartlein, but that will take time.

So far the issues I've run into;
    -Seems no-go gauges are impossible to find in stock.
    -CPD 28rd magazines will not insert if loaded past 5 rds. No its not the magwell.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

You might consider renting the go no go gauges.

You may have gotten out of spec mag bodies. I haven't used any of the new CPD mags but all my 6.5 Grendel mags are very tight when new. I load any new 6.5 Grendel mag to capacity and let them set loaded. If I have time I unload the mags and reload them. The mags usually loosen up with use and become reliable but are a bear when new. I had to clean the interior on a few of my ASC mags as they had a gummy substance on the inside.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-11-2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• PewPewPachew
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2017

Upon closer inspection, it appears that the halves of the mag body are not solidly joined. They can be compressed or splayed apart just by loading the rounds, 1/8" either direction. Pretty damn disappointing.

Comment

• ActionDiver
        Unwashed
        • Jul 2017

We need pictures of the build

Comment

• PewPewPachew
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2017

I can't seem to get the photos to a small enough size on my phone. Ill have to post some up tomorrow.

Comment

• PewPewPachew
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2017

So, several months later.... I have a functioning build!

I had an issue with the cheap barrel from classic, not having the gas port and locating pin aligned. That was causing issues with the piston.
            Then I had an out of spec bolt/extractor from YHM, and they wouldn't respond to my emails or calls.

So, I ended up dishing out the extra money for some better stuff. I got a custom barrel from Black Hole Weaponry/Columbia River Arms. Its got some real neat fluting and rifling. Since that uses a spec 1? Chamber, I bought an enhanced ak bolt from LMT.

I put it all together, and it functioned flawlessly for one mag, using an ASC mag. No handguard or optic yet, so I was just testing function.

I still have to figure out how to post pictures here though.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

You can use a web hosting service to attach a link to your photo or you can directly upload a picture to this web site. The photos directly uploaded have to be in a pretty small format or the file will be to large. I started using Fickr after photobucket started charging for their service. I place the link from Flickr in my narrative/thread.

Here are the instructions for uploading from your device.

How to post pictures
              1. Go to the lower right corner of the "Quick Reply" section and click on the "Go Advanced" box.

2. In the next screen, below the "Your Message" section and in the "Additional Options" section click the "Manage Attachments" box.

3. In the new window that opens up click the "Add Files" box, and when that pops up another little window click the "Select Files" box. Go find the file(s) on your computer, click on them, and choose "Open." You should see your file(s) in the little window so click "Upload Files."

4. This brings you back to the main File Upload Manager window, and your file(s) should appear down in the Attachments area. Click "Done."

5. This brings you back to the "Additional Options" section and you should see your image file(s) under the "Manage Attachments" box. You can now either "Submit Reply" or "Preview Post."

Note: Make sure your picture is a standard picture file format is not sized too big.

Comment

Working...
              X